Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2023, 09:22   #46

Re: NASA marine nmea wind sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis View Post
Way late to the party. My boat has had the Nasa/Clipper wireless unit for eight years. The receiver is wired to my Ray T122. Frankly, it's the only wireless thing on my boat that has not been an issue at one time or the other. I replaced the wind vane and cups a couple years ago and it's still going strong. My experience is it is a fraction of the cost of the Raymarine unit and considerably more reliable. Mounted on a 40' mast. Should it crap out tomorrow, I'd replace it without a doubt.

I was happy to learn they produce a 0183 to 2000 converter now. As I've gone with a STNG network, this is good news. I'm going to get it and remove the old T122, which is overdue for replacement.
Thank you for the update!

So you have a wireless (solar?) model that is 0183 and there is an adapter for N2K so that you can connect it to the STng?

Do you use their instrument (display) or just have it send everything via network to the plotter? I was going to get just the wireless windvane and receiver for N2K, but not the display (don't have space or need for a separate display).
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 09:42   #47

Boat: Corsair Cruze 970

Yes, wireless solar. The wireless receiver has always been wired to my very old Tacktick T122, which sends the data to my wireless Ray/Tacktick displays. I have the Micronet wireless gateway plugged into my STNG, so wind goes to my Axiom+ as well, via the Ray/Tacktick stuff. Plugging directly into the STNG, with the converter is a cleaner solution, in my opinion.

I haven't ordered the 0183-2000 converter yet, but I shall. This month is a DST810 and there are just so many available boat bucks. The NASA unit is very cheap, but shipping to the US hurts. Regardless, it is cheaper, with shipping, than most other converters I've seen.

I'm working towards better reliability by getting rid of the T121 and T122.....eventually. Bummer I just bought a new T121, but that's for another thread.
Old 29-06-2023, 09:57   #48

Perfect, I also run Axiom so this essentially what I plan on doing.

Plan is:
Windvane->wireless receiver->N2K converter->STng->Axiom.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 10:15   #49

Boat: Corsair Cruze 970

Oh, just a tip: Shipping, direct from Nasa is a flat rate of 50 pounds. 50 pounds is kinda nuts when considering just how small the converter is. I added a new wireless masthead unit and receiver (only 262 quid) as a spare to my basket. Shipping remains the same. So, I rec you snag everything at once, perhaps even spares, and goodies for all your friends as well, to make the shipping cost easier to swallow.
Old 29-06-2023, 17:44   #50

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis View Post
Oh, just a tip: Shipping, direct from Nasa is a flat rate of 50 pounds. 50 pounds is kinda nuts when considering just how small the converter is. I added a new wireless masthead unit and receiver (only 262 quid) as a spare to my basket. Shipping remains the same. So, I rec you snag everything at once, perhaps even spares, and goodies for all your friends as well, to make the shipping cost easier to swallow.

Great tip, and thank you for the write up. I’m considering the NASA unit for my homebrewed boat system.
Old 24-09-2023, 12:31   #51

Boat: Passport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It’s on order. Installing it Dec
Did you install it? If so, what has been your experience so far? I'm considering getting one myself

Sent from my SM-A225F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, marine, nmea, sensor, wind