Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2022, 04:47   #1
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
NASA marine nmea wind sensor

I’m going to replace my failed raymarine wind sensor with the NASA Marine NMEA0183 and it’s companion NMEA2000 converter.

Anyone have any experience of this unit.

Thanks
Old 29-10-2022, 06:44   #2

Re: NASA marine nmea wind sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I’m going to replace my failed raymarine wind sensor with the NASA Marine NMEA0183 and it’s companion NMEA2000 converter.

Thanks

No experience from the unit, but the company deceptively uses the name of the NASA space agency and a logo that is deceptively similar to that of the space agency. Given that they are loudly telling you right up front that they are dishonest, I would be disinclined to trust their products.
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 07:04   #3

Leaving comments about the name aside, they are a well respected UK based company that have a good reputation for making low cost, simple marine instruments. I have one of their products and it does exactly what it says on the tin.
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 08:19   #4

Boat: Manta 42 Mk IV Catamaran

If you do get it please come back and post your results, good or bad.

Thanks
Joe
Avionics_Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 08:28   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

The NASA had my ear but fake by association I’d understand your concern.
Hope it all works out. Pain to fix
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2022, 08:04   #6
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avionics_Joe View Post
If you do get it please come back and post your results, good or bad.

Thanks
Joe

It’s on order

Like you I have experience of there other products like NAVTEX and battery monitors. Good reasonable priced gear
Old 30-10-2022, 18:39   #7

Boat: Chrysler C26/Morgan OI 37

I have the Clipper Marine V2 Masthead unit with just the sea display. Works as advertised. I cannot however get it to work with my RPI Open CPN or qtVlm chart plotter. I am going to start a thread on it. The unit works very well and was very simple to install.
Skipper_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOwens View Post
No experience from the unit, but the company deceptively uses the name of the NASA space agency and a logo that is deceptively similar to that of the space agency. Given that they are loudly telling you right up front that they are dishonest, I would be disinclined to trust their products.
"no experience from the unit" hear hear, what an idio7ic post...
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
"no experience from the unit" hear hear, what an idio7ic post...

Excuse me?

Are you saying that information about the trustworthiness of the company is not relevant?

If someone says "I'm thinking of hiring Joe to do gardening work," and someone else were to answer, "I can't speak to his gardening skills, but he's been caught stealing tools from his employers in the past" would you call that an idiotic response?

I'll stand firmly behind my recommendation to avoid doing business with companies that advertise deceptively.
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 13:33   #10

Boat: Swarbrick 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Thanks
Mine has lasted 9 year's.
The wind cups? Have worn out.
It was a fairly simple and cheap process to get a replacement on eBay.
Hoohaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 01:35   #11

Quote:
Are you saying that information about the trustworthiness of the company is not relevant?

If someone says "I'm thinking of hiring Joe to do gardening work," and someone else were to answer, "I can't speak to his gardening skills, but he's been caught stealing tools from his employers in the past" would you call that an idiotic response?
Completely irrelevant. You don't know the product, don't know the company and throw around fud. But why not top it with a misappropriate tool stealing analogy...

Quote:
I'll stand firmly behind my recommendation to avoid doing business with companies that advertise deceptively.
Nasa marine is in business since the nineties. One could discuss* their products (no-nonsense, work well, use little energy, maybe don't fit too well into the "n2k worlds", ..).

*Not with you, unfortunately. Plonk.
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 01:46   #12
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Excuse me?

How do they advertise “ deceptively “ this is a long standing U.K. company called NASA MARINE LTD , their logo has nothing in common with a little known US agency

only an idiot mixes that up with a space agency that faked the moon landing !!!!

I have dealt with the company on its NAVTEX products which it has a 30 year history in , found them excellent

Never once thought I was buying a Apollo 11 unit.
Old 02-11-2022, 01:52   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
Mine has lasted 9 year's.

The wind cups? Have worn out.

It was a fairly simple and cheap process to get a replacement on eBay.

Thanks good to know. I’m awaiting mine as I think their nmea 2000 offering is nice and well priced.
Old 02-11-2022, 06:24   #14

Boat: Nautor's Swan 431

About 13 years ago I bought a NASA Marine wind sensor and display using the 0183 protocol, and I remember I bought a log and an echo also. I was selling the boat in question and the Raymarine ST60 instruments that had served it for years were on their way out. They needed to be replaced with some very affordable alternatives, hence my choice of the Nasa. The Raymarine gauges were very waterproof by the way, all held every drop of water they received until their circuit boards corroded beyond use...

Ok back to the NASA equivalent. When I received the NASA units I ordered, my attention was immediately drawn to their flimsy and somewhat unpolished appearance compared to their Raymarine counterparts. They were light, made of cheap looking plastic, the sensor wind cups were very thin plastic, sharp corners, etc.

After installing them, I found the displays difficult to read because of their poor contrast. They were only visible straight ahead if at all. The accuracy of these was also a bit off, compared to the very accurate instruments on the race boat at the dock, the Nasa instruments showed wind speed quite non-linearly (too little in light winds and too much in stronger winds). Wind direction far too coarse to be of any use. I don't know if it was the displays or the sensor.

By the way, the next skipper of my boat immediately replaced the new Nasa's with Raymarine ones. His comments did not praise the Nasas.

The same boat had a Nasa Navtex that worked very well long after I sold the boat, maybe even today. However, I sailed with it from Finland to the Mediterranean and back a long time ago.

BTW Nasa's Battery Monitor equipment is quite inaccurate compared to the Victron, all my sailing friends who have bought a BM2 consider it a kind of scoring machine not to be trusted. Not good.

As always, You get what you pay for.
ihe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 06:47   #15
Nearly an old salt

Hmm thanks , we shall see, worse case it goes on eBay and I get a second have Ray unit.

Tags
asa, marine, nmea, sensor, wind