Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 09:36   #1

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee
Nav.-Tablet

Hi all...I am wanting to get an Android tablet for back-up navigation. Can I use an 8GB ROM and a memory card? OR will I need an internal 16GB? My idea was to put the charts on the memory card...different cards for different charts...is this doable?
This whole nav-electronics thing has me going in circles as I am not good with electronics/computers etc...OUCH!!
Thanks for your help in advance...

Trying hard to get out there!!!!
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:40   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Nav.-Tablet

FWIW, one of the two Android tablets we use for back-up navigation is a 10" Samsung with only 16 Gb storage. No problems with space for charts, etc.

Assuming you might want to use the tablet for other stuff, too... going with only the smallest offered storage capacity probably wouldn't be perfect in the long run. We also keep all our tech manuals on there, a boating library of how-to books, pics of boat systems and projects in progress, etc.

-Chris
Old 03-03-2015, 12:30   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There is this thing
RAVPower FileHub Wireless SD Card Reader with 3000mAh Backup Battery/Portable Charger, Wireless Mobile Storage Media Sharing, WLAN Hot Spot & NAS File Server
It's a wireless travel router as well as a portable data storage unit, either micro SD card or it will power a hard drive through it's USB plug. I bought one as it's a way around the data storage limit of an Ipad, with this thing and a terra bite hard drive, I have a terra bite of data available for my Ipad, plus it's a portable battery too etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 13:31   #4

Hi, so with this unit and an external hard drive I will have all the storage I want(need)? I like that idea...another quick question...will charts on a memory card work in a tablet? I have had conflicting replies to this question and I haven't a clue as to all this stuff...
I appreciate the replies. I'll see what is in the budget...
Old 03-03-2015, 14:06   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Depends on what Nav software you use and how it stores the chart data.

My Navionics has a lot of chart detail downloaded (most of the coastlines of Aus, PNG, SE Asia and South Pacific) and is currently using about 1.3GB in total for both the Asia & Africa and Aus/NZ applications and charts. So an 8GB tablet should be fine.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 15:01   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Usually only the program has to be installed on the "hard drive", usually data like chart data can be on a chip with another drive name other than C.

That thing I gave you the link for can take a huge hard drive, power it and make it's data available over wifi for up to five devices simultaneously, good for storing movies, music, huge numbers of photos etc. Open CPN would probably allow you to have the chart data on a file there, but I've not tried it. I've got Garmin blue chart which I like and Navionics which I like less, but Open CPN works so well, and is so well priced, I think it's my new favorite. I've set up two Motion LE-1600's for it, one as a back-up, really great, but old tablet that you can get on Fleabay for around $100. I put a SSD in my primary one.
I'm just learning Open CPN and have not used it's advanced features yet

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 19:56   #7

Hi, I have OpenCpn in my laptop and I am having problems getting the GPS to show my position on the chart. I have to do a lot more reading about how to use it. I have had nothing but problems with all this GPS stuff. I am going to have my charts printed out (as big as house blueprints) and go back to navigating the old fashioned way...To me, that is easier than all the electronic gear but I WANT to learn how to use the new stuff...VERY frustrating to say the least.
I thank you for the time and help...I need all the info I can get...
Be safe and happy...
Old 03-03-2015, 22:13   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Usually only the program has to be installed on the "hard drive", usually data like chart data can be on a chip with another drive name other than C.

That thing I gave you the link for can take a huge hard drive, power it and make it's data available over wifi for up to five devices simultaneously, good for storing movies, music, huge numbers of photos etc. Open CPN would probably allow you to have the chart data on a file there, but I've not tried it. I've got Garmin blue chart which I like and Navionics which I like less, but Open CPN works so well, and is so well priced, I think it's my new favorite. I've set up two Motion LE-1600's for it, one as a back-up, really great, but old tablet that you can get on Fleabay for around $100. I put a SSD in my primary one.
I'm just learning Open CPN and have not used it's advanced features yet

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
The OP was asking about an Android tablet. None of that is relevant
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote