Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 14:07   #1

Boat: Shannon 37 cutter
Navico Autopilot Help?

I've had good performance from my Navico Corus Wheelpilot WP300CX for 9 years without even replacing a belt....but now when powered up the lights come on but nobody's home (i.e. the lights say it went from standby to auto, but it just sites there, never tries to turn the wheel, no hum from motor, nada). Suspect the motor? Tried calling Navico and their comment was "We can't repair them, we can't get parts". Would appreciate suggestions, hate to toss what had been a great unit.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 17:38   #2

Boat: Nimble Nomad Trawler
Lots of luck with your Navico. I did finally find a flux-gate compass for mine about 3 years ago but now the electronic unit on the hydraulic pump is bad..I'm not even going to try...spent too many hours trying to find the compass.. Simrad/Navico was no help. I'm just going to replace the whole system.
"Sweet Pea" Hull #1
Nimble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 18:57   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Navico was never known for first class electronics construction. 9 years on a wheel pilot is the best I ever heard of.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 20:38   #4

Boat: Lavranos 39 S/v Continental Drift
I have two of these now for over the last 8 years. I installed a better below deck system but left the wp installed as back-up. I think I could say I know the unit pretty well (nessesity). I was lucky years ago to talk someone at navico to send me a complete 80 pg manual , with full schematics etc. I was able to go on line and find the parts I needed for penies.
If you open the unit up carefully and put a voltmeter (12dc) across motor wires , then hit controls to go left or right .If controls are working you will see a voltage and motor (if working) will turn. If you put unit into auto and then move it 45 degs the controls will send a voltage to motor to steer in opposite direction. Then go back past starting direction and the voltage should reverse polarity. Check the 2 large transistors at the bottom of the board for corrosion, these are the ones that switch power to motor. If nothing is happening at the input to these devises then either your compass or the microprocessor is probably blown, time for a new unit. Look for corrosion on circuit board before changing any parts. Don't expect Simrad techs to help much they think they invented the wheel and nobody is capable of changing even the simplest thing. I was told it was liability issues but lets not go there. I hope this helps.

BTW my new auto is not Simrad!
bmartinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 21:01   #5

Re: Navico Autopilot Help?

Dear Bmartinsen,

I am desperatly searching for a service manual for the Navico WheelPilot 300C or CX as I have two of these with minor circuit issues. Any chance you still have the service manual mentioned on Cruiser's Forum in 2009?

Thank you,

Tom Lamerrs
tlam45387@aol.com
thlamers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, navico