Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 06:11   #16

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord
Re: Navico Network Problems -- What I Have Learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The problem was that with the WIFI module connected, the radar dropped off the network, so that the MFD's would report "No Radar".

The updated radar control software solved it.
I was struggling to understand that but then realised that the Zeus MFDs have multiple ethernet ports and I'm guessing you had the wifi-1 in one and the radar in another. If that's true it'll have been a routing issue and presumably the software update (by radar control software you mean on the MFD?) now has some smarter mechanism for deciding which interface to route the radar control messages out of.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:31   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
I was struggling to understand that but then realised that the Zeus MFDs have multiple ethernet ports and I'm guessing you had the wifi-1 in one and the radar in another. If that's true it'll have been a routing issue and presumably the software update (by radar control software you mean on the MFD?) now has some smarter mechanism for deciding which interface to route the radar control messages out of.
The non-touch Zeus has multiple Ethernet ports. If you are using the newer Zeuses, you have to use an Ethernet router.

In my case, yes, I as using my non-touch Zeus as the router, with three ethernet devices plugged into the back of it:

1. Radar
2. Interconnection with the other Zeus at the helm (a touch version)
3. Wifi-1 module.

If you don't have a non-touch plotter with multiple ports, I think you can use any generic Ethernet router, but you have a problem with the connectors, since Navico doesn't use normal RJ45 connectors, but rather their weird proprietary one.

It's probably cheaper to use their router.

Now the Wifi-1 module has two ports, so I think you can plug the radar into that and then connect the Wifi-1 to the single Ethernet port of the touch plotter, but then you can't connect the interconnection to your other plotter.

They should have given the Wifi-1 multiple ports.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:32   #18

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
I agree, especially the Triton. You would think that they would at least put into the manual all of the screens and functionality -- they don't.
It is on page 12 of the manual. Pages 7-10 fully explain the default screens as shipped.

Page 12 shows all the possible templates. Surely you don't expect them to show every single piece of datum in all possible combinations that can be displayed in these templates? That would take hundreds of pages.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:36   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
It is on page 12 of the manual. Pages 7-10 fully explain the default screens as shipped.

Page 12 shows all the possible templates. Surely you don't expect them to show every single piece of datum in all possible combinations that can be displayed in these templates? That would take hundreds of pages.

Mark
Not my manual! They must have updated it.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:44   #20

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Not my manual! They must have updated it.
Yes, whenever they add new functionalities via a new version of firmware, you must download the new version of the manual describing these functionalities.

I tend to do it at the same time I am downloading the firmware update.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:46   #21

Boat: Nordic 44

Dockhead
Which charting software are you using? I like the dynamic tides and current data but the Navico ( I have Simrad's proprietary) doesn't.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:11   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitlaw View Post
Dockhead
Which charting software are you using? I like the dynamic tides and current data but the Navico ( I have Simrad's proprietary) doesn't.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I'm using the software native to the plotters. My Zeus Touch did dynamic tides and currents right out of the box. My older non-touch Zeus started doing them only with the last software update.

I have the Navionics Platinum charts,but I don't think the dynamic tides and currents depend on the charts.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 05-02-2015, 08:46   #23

Boat: Nordic 44

Thanks. I just looked at the Navionics Platinum cartography and the tides and current data resides there. So I would have to upgrade my NSS8 to that product. It came with the proprietary "Insight" product which isn't too robust.

I agree with you that Navico products seem to have software defects in new product releases. They had to update the NSS8 Simrad software to overcome an mfd blackout on systems originally installed with Go Free ( my set up). And, they
Leave it to the purchaser to periodically check for update downloads. An email notice would help.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 20:11   #24

Though not necessarily network problems, I too have been struggling with Simrad/Navico bugs in a new suite of electronics on my boat. All the equipment has now been removed from the boat and returned, and I am in the process of refitting with Furuno. I've been writing about it bit by on MVTanglewood.com
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navico