Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2020, 09:15   #1

Navico Radar, to splice or not to splice?

Background: I have a 34 ft monohull. We take the mast down each winter. I am upgrading electronics and radar. I just got a Simrad (Navico) broadband 4G radome, and I am pondering the installation.

I am wondering what is best to do with the mast cable, which is a proprietary bundle of an Ethernet cable and power cables. The cable is 20m (64ft) long out of the box, and I would likely run it through the conduits all the way back to the electrical area near the chart table.

I am thinking of cutting the cable 6 ft or so after it exits the mast support, and splicing on a male and female RJ45 to either end, then using a terminal block for the power cables.

The manual on my Simrad radar reads:

SHORTENING THE CABLE
It is not recommended to shorten the cable, but if it is unavoidable, use the pin-out below to re-terminate the cable with a new RJ45 plug.

One issue is that there is a huge cable gland on the end of the cable that would have to be threaded through the mast support and through all the conduits to get the the electrical area. The gland would have to be taken apart each time the mast is taken down.

But, am I asking for trouble if I cut this cable and create a splice with extra connections?

I need radar to deal with dense fog in the Great Lakes, and I need it to be reliable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable gland.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	210192  
windpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:37   #2

Re: Navico Radar, to splice or not to splice?

For a splice, there is no need to add matching RJ45 plugs. Any terminal block will do. It's not magic, just regular old data and power cables.

I just cut the wire and then crimp on appropriately sized ring terminals and do it that way. There are connection methods that are more elegant, but what I do works and uses no special tools or equipment outside of normal boat electrical hardware and give me a wire end easy to fish.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:58   #3

Sounds good

On big boats the cable is always cut, then reformed inside a junction box
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:23   #4

You could also mount the ri10 box at the mast if you have a dry spot. Then run power and network from mast to plotter.

And that becomes the mast joint.

On boats with radar poles I put the ri10 in the laz.

I’m not sure what you mean by big gland. The ri10 box it’s 4 screws then just pulls through it. Takes a min to remove. Only the cable with rj45 is pulled down the mast and into the boat.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
For a splice, there is no need to add matching RJ45 plugs. Any terminal block will do. It's not magic, just regular old data and power cables.

I just cut the wire and then crimp on appropriately sized ring terminals and do it that way. There are connection methods that are more elegant, but what I do works and uses no special tools or equipment outside of normal boat electrical hardware and give me a wire end easy to fish.
Thanks. I was planning on ring terminals for the power cables. I already have an RJ45 crimper, so I might go that way, but point taken I could just do crimp terminals for all the Ethernet wires.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:38   #6

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
You could also mount the ri10 box at the mast if you have a dry spot. Then run power and network from mast to plotter.

And that becomes the mast joint.

On boats with radar poles I put the ri10 in the laz.

I’m not sure what you mean by big gland. The ri10 box it’s 4 screws then just pulls through it. Takes a min to remove. Only the cable with rj45 is pulled down the mast and into the boat.

Thanks. By gland I mean parts D, E and F. Maybe those are easier to deal with than I am thinking.

I was thinking of tieing the ri10 in to the same Empirbus power lines that feed the other instruments, which is easier to see in the electrical cabinet. Do you think that will be fine? The dang Empirbus programming is a mystery to me. Will I trip some amperage limit if I add all the power lines to an existing circuit coming out of the Empirbus? Or, should I just do the yellow wire to the Empirbus navigation instrument circuit, and then the red and black run to the battery bank with a fuse?

Also, placing the ri10 in my electrical cabinet would mean I could get a shorter Ethernet cable to go from the ri10 to the chartplotter in the cockpit.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:18   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I know your not supposed to and it’s not professional, but I cut and spliced mine with the telephone wire connectors.
Did that a few years ago and so far it’s been fine.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:42   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510

When I installed the radar (Raymarinr Quantum 2) in my friends boat last spring, I used shielded jacks, plugs, and stranded network cable. I used the OEM cable down the mast, leaving the proprietary plug on the radome side alone. Once inside the boat, I put the RJ45 plug on that, and power went to a terminal strip. For the runs inside the boat, I used the shielded Cat7 cable with both ends cut off. From the mast connection, it was one continuous run to the chartplotter. I put the shielded jacks on both ends, this way if anything gets replaced, it's easy to just unplug. This all keeps the shielding in tact how it was designed, as improperly grounded shields will act as an antenna picking up noise, especially when running parallel to power. If you're jack and plugs end up being next to metal, wrap them in something insulating to prevent potential ground loops. You also want to make sure to use stranded network cable since it is more flexible. The majority of network cables are solid conductors. I also installed a hailer and electric air horns under the radar. (Why do no sailboat manufacturers design for horns? You can buy a brand new 60 foot boat, and still have to use a crummy can of air!)Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200307-152425_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	210199Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200307-152337_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	210200Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200307-152501_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	210201Click image for larger version

Name:	20190613_202022.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	210202
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 16:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by windpipe View Post
Thanks. By gland I mean parts D, E and F. Maybe those are easier to deal with than I am thinking. .

yes the cable with rj45 just pushes through it as you connect it to the box. the rubber ring is split and wraps around cable so the end does not pass through it.
Old 07-03-2020, 16:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I know your not supposed to and it’s not professional, but I cut and spliced mine with the telephone wire connectors.
Did that a few years ago and so far it’s been fine.
I do this with the navico ethernet cables (round yellow connectors) when running them through holes, since there is no ends available. it's always worked.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:04   #12

Boat: Bayliner 2655

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNemoO2 View Post
When I installed the radar (Raymarinr Quantum 2) in my friends boat last spring, I used shielded jacks, plugs, and stranded network cable. I used the OEM cable down the mast, leaving the proprietary plug on the radome side alone. Once inside the boat, I put the RJ45 plug on that, and power went to a terminal strip. For the runs inside the boat, I used the shielded Cat7 cable with both ends cut off. From the mast connection, it was one continuous run to the chartplotter. I put the shielded jacks on both ends, this way if anything gets replaced, it's easy to just unplug. This all keeps the shielding in tact how it was designed, as improperly grounded shields will act as an antenna picking up noise, especially when running parallel to power. If you're jack and plugs end up being next to metal, wrap them in something insulating to prevent potential ground loops. You also want to make sure to use stranded network cable since it is more flexible. The majority of network cables are solid conductors. I also installed a hailer and electric air horns under the radar. (Why do no sailboat manufacturers design for horns? You can buy a brand new 60 foot boat, and still have to use a crummy can of air!)Attachment 210199Attachment 210200Attachment 210201Attachment 210202
I love it when you guys put pictures in your posts makes it much easyer to understand what your talking about!
tekdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:58   #13

Boat: Valiant 40

I have the same system and cut mine, put male R45 plugs on and join them with a coupler. No problem.

The gland is not a big deal to take apart, so that's an alternative. I only cut mine as the plug is too large to fit through some cable conduit in the cabinetry on the way to the electronics cabinet.

I've not seen any impact on performance.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:59   #14

Boat: DownEaster 38

As others have said it's quite easy to cut and reconnect using various connectors. I did it with success and I am a rank amateur electrician. My only advice is to be very careful to match the wire colors if you patch in a section of Cat 5,6 or 7 cable. The radar cable colors are not the same as the standard Ethernet cables.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:24   #15

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windpipe View Post
Thanks. By gland I mean parts D, E and F. Maybe those are easier to deal with than I am thinking.

I was thinking of tieing the ri10 in to the same Empirbus power lines that feed the other instruments, which is easier to see in the electrical cabinet. Do you think that will be fine? The dang Empirbus programming is a mystery to me. Will I trip some amperage limit if I add all the power lines to an existing circuit coming out of the Empirbus? Or, should I just do the yellow wire to the Empirbus navigation instrument circuit, and then the red and black run to the battery bank with a fuse?

Also, placing the ri10 in my electrical cabinet would mean I could get a shorter Ethernet cable to go from the ri10 to the chartplotter in the cockpit.
When I installed my radar, I did not use the big gland cover. I just have the network plug. It is in a dry area. Not worried about it. You do not fish the big plastic cover. you put it on after everything is installed

If you can fit the network plug through the hole. you should be fine.

Mount the RI10 near the mast. I just coiled the extra cable inside the mast. Plug the network cable, power wires from the mast cable into the RI10. I ran the power and Navico Ethernet cable from my plotter to the RI10. This makes it easy to install and remove the mast each season.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navico, radar