Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2012, 14:17   #1

Boat: Westsail 28
Navico TP 300

I bought this auto pilot unit about 10yrs. ago. It has never worked correctly. The problem with it sounds simple, When you get it all set up and push the hold course button it holds for 20 seconds then bears off 10* then another in tel
you just go in a circle. Calibrate and adjust sea state have been tried. And now when I try to calibrate it just locks up and I have to cut power for a while before it will do anything. I like to hand steer and so does the crew. This is why it never got sent back.
Navico is now Simrad, I called them up the other day and talked to a nice fellow.The answer was, I understand your problem and you need a new mother board and maybe a new flux gate compass. And we don't make those parts anymore. Well we still make them they just won't fit your unit. So you need to look for a independent shop that might have these parts.
Any one know a shop the can do this? Thanks!!
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 21:00   #2

Boat: Pearson 303
Re: Navico TP 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abreeze View Post
I bought this auto pilot unit about 10yrs. ago. It has never worked correctly. The problem with it sounds simple, When you get it all set up and push the hold course button it holds for 20 seconds then bears off 10* then another in tel
you just go in a circle. Calibrate and adjust sea state have been tried. And now when I try to calibrate it just locks up and I have to cut power for a while before it will do anything. I like to hand steer and so does the crew. This is why it never got sent back.
Navico is now Simrad, I called them up the other day and talked to a nice fellow.The answer was, I understand your problem and you need a new mother board and maybe a new flux gate compass. And we don't make those parts anymore. Well we still make them they just won't fit your unit. So you need to look for a independent shop that might have these parts.
Any one know a shop the can do this? Thanks!!

HI Abreeze,
I feel your pain! Thats what I want to do as a company. Sell alot of stuff and then just sell the company and walk away...LOL I have the WP5000 wheel-drive unit and loved it for a long time. However; It to stopped working and had to resort to fix it myself. It turns out that, the wires on the flux-gate start to rub the insulation off the fine-haired-wires that connect to the CPU unit. If you use a jewelers "LOOP" you will see cracks in the wires. Take and spread the wires apart and paint each with (NON_Conductive_glue) each wire and let dry 24 hrs. Next-check the connector at end of wires and solder if needed. Reseal the connector and re-install.. If this does not fix the problem your cpu is bad from the "shorted flux-gate". It's very important that you take your time on those wires because they are very FINE wires. Don't rush it! and inspect each wire down to the gate itself. Hope this helps you.. It did for me. On another note I'm trying to find a " J B 5 0 0 0 " for my application with my Navico-WP5000. I need one ASAP. If you here of one out there.. Please let me know. I'm still looking everywhere. Good luck and let us know how your making out! Capt. Rob

Tags
navico