Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2010, 12:28   #1

Navicom rt650 + Laptop

I posted this thread in other forum area, and had no response, so maybe here is the better place. I got Navicom RT650. Managed to connect GPS to Navicom - works fine. Now I need to hook it all up with my laptop. I connected TX blue-wire from radio NMEA output to pin 3 in DB9 (rs232) plug, and RX-grey to pin 2, then ground(bare) to pin5. OpenCPN (or other programs) doesn't read anything from that com. I set up gps redirection via AIS port, I set baud rates to 38k - nothing. 4.8k - still nothing. Like there was no signal at all. Neither AIS nor GPS data shows on my PC. I figure I must do something wrong with wire soldering, because i checked all the configurations and options and nothing happened. There are three wires not connected at all, and not described in the manual at all (orange, white, black). The problem is there is nothing in the manual about hooking it up with PC, nothing on the net. Manual itself is terribly poor, most of the AIS ( and other) options are not event in it. I could really use some help here, as I'm totally stuck. PS sorry for double-posting the thread. cheers
Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 12:37   #2

Boat: Fantasia 35
Pin 2 (rx) on the DB9 should connect to the TX pin on the radio. Pin 3 (tx) on the DB9 should connect to the RX pin on the radio
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 12:54   #3

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Pin 2 (rx) on the DB9 should connect to the TX pin on the radio. Pin 3 (tx) on the DB9 should connect to the RX pin on the radio
I just did that - still nothing. Got AIS com set up, GPS as "AIS-shared", nmea console shows totally nothing. Radio shows GPS data, so it works ok, but PC doesn't seem to receive anything. Do I need to shortcut other DB9 pins? Running out of ideas here
Old 26-06-2010, 13:15   #4

Ok. I managed to get this to work.
Connection - the way described by @Viking (thanks mate )
I'll make some GIF and stick in here later - as there is no info about that, and it's very confusing with rubbish manual.
Then:
In Navicom MENU: AIS output: RS232, AIS baud-rate: 38.4k, GPS redir: YES
On OpenCPN: gps port: AIS-shared, GPS port speed: 38.4k,
then choose AIS port to whichever is the Navicom connected... and it should work.
Ps: all this on WinXP.
Cheers.
Old 26-06-2010, 13:32   #5

I assume that pin 5 on the DB9 is still connected to the signal ground on the radio. Also, the comm ports on the radio and laptop should be configured with 8 bit, 1 stop bit, no parity, and the same baud rate. Sometimes, the radio needs to be setup/configured to actually output data. I don't have any info on the Navicom radio so you will need to check the manual to see if this is required. If this doesn't help get you connected please provide additional info on your setup. Things like the pin out of the radio, what operating system you are connecting to, and how the comm ports are configured.
Old 26-06-2010, 14:29   #6

In the manual there is nothing at all aobut setting up a connection of any kind with anything. It just only says that you need to use blue/grey for serial ports and green/yellow for GPS, nothing about rest of them, not mentioning schematics or menu configuration. Well, Frenchies gave me 2 weeks of mind-storm - but at the end it works
The com port baud-rate I've set up everywhere the same - 38.4k. And that includes Device Manager port settings.
The great thing is, that Navicom interlaces incoming GPS 4800baud signal, into outgoing 38.4k - so there is a smooth GPS+AIS transmission through single COM port to the PC.
I really love this set now. A bit over 300quid, there is a DCS VHF that displays AIS, your position, speed and course, and if you like, it will send all this into your PC or chartplotter. And best of all, that you got all those instruments in tiny box, that consumes 6W only
Old 26-06-2010, 14:40   #7

Sounds like a great setup you got there! I'm glad you got it working. The best of luck to ya!
Old 27-06-2010, 05:09   #8

Yeah, thanks to you mate

And here is the schematics how I got it hooked up:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NavicomRT650schematics-1.png
Views:	808
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	17379