Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2016, 09:42   #31

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Navigation / Sailing Apps for Android?

I have been using Opencpn on a computer connected to my Raymarine 4000 autopilot through a usb to RS422 converter for some time now fairly successfully. However the CM93 charts I am using lack detail for many of the rivers and inland channels I often frequent.

I also have Navionics on a Sony tablet, which I bought mainly because it has an internal GPS and is water resistant. The Navionics charts on the tablet have a great deal more depth detail on them than the CM93 charts and I have found them to be fairly accurate.

As a technique to transit places I regularly frequent I have taken to plotting routes on the computer then doing the navigating in the cockpit using the tablet for best water. I later move waypoints in the Opencpn route where it diverges from the actual. Seems to be working well.

I would like to be able to run the autopilot using the tablet but the version of Navionics I have appears to lack the functionality to do so, I have yet to find an economical wifi to RS422 converter and I have found the touch screen on the tablet unreliable when spray or rain wets it.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation, sail, sailing