Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2020, 12:03   #1

Boat: Catalina 380
Navionics fuel consumption off

I’ve been having trouble getting the navionics app to give me the proper fuel consumption. After creating a route, the estimated fuel consumption is way off. For example....for a 10 hr route using .8 g/hr, it is giving me 28 gallons as opposed to 8 used. I’ve check the boat settings, and any place else I can think to check, but can’t seem to correct it. Any ideas?
DCheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 12:30   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Navionics fuel consumption off

Nope, but I'm glad you noticed the error. It means that you've taken the trouble to know how much fuel your boat uses at cruise speed. Is it necessary to rely on the app?

I know that my boat cruises at 2 miles to the gallon, so I don't really need a computer app to tell me how much I'm going to use - it's obvious as soon as I mark off the route on the chart. I have a graph above the nav table that shows RPM versus speed, which goes exponential after about 7.5 knots on a hull speed of 8.6 knots. That's a sure sign that I'm using more fuel at those speeds, so I stay at 7.5. Some adjustment is necessary if the hull is getting near bottom paint time.
Old 16-10-2020, 12:40   #3

Boat: Catalina 380

This is true, I really don’t need to rely on the app. It just would make it easier and quicker. Besides, it bugs me when things don’t work right, haha.
DCheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 12:45   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

DCheney, I've given some thought to what I said above. I'm not trying to put you off, or criticize your asking the question. I'm trying to say that by your noticing the error, and knowing the correct answer, you are in the third category below:

1. Boaters who know nothing about their boats or its systems. From time to time that wait for TowBoatUS to bring them gasoline.
2. Boaters/cruisers who are reasonably attentive to their instruments, engine sounds, and do some maintenance.
3. Boaters who actively learn about their boats, and not only prevent problems but solve them if they occur.

In other words, I don't think you need the app, not because I'm somehow superior for not ever having thought about being dependent on something like that, but because you are a class above that. I'll bet you know quite a bit about your boat.
Old 16-10-2020, 12:48   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Over technology. When the technology meant to keep you out of trouble gets you in trouble. Clearly demonstrated in the Boeing 737 Max.
Old 16-10-2020, 12:52   #6

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheney View Post
I’ve been having trouble getting the navionics app to give me the proper fuel consumption. After creating a route, the estimated fuel consumption is way off. For example....for a 10 hr route using .8 g/hr, it is giving me 28 gallons as opposed to 8 used. I’ve check the boat settings, and any place else I can think to check, but can’t seem to correct it. Any ideas?

That seems indeed to be an error in calculation, but OTOH you have a sailboat and presumably would be sailing for most of that route? If you can’t tell the app that you won’t be motoring then the fuel consumption calculation is irrelevant, isn’t it?
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 19:45   #7

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'

Those numbers are pretty close to liters vs gallons, perhaps units incorrectly set?
tenchiki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 10:10   #8

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

You guys miss the point. Boating is supposed to be fun and if someone enjoys technology and wants to make it work - then why not.
These”features” are built in and there for anyone to use them or not. Some people just like to take it bare and just let the wind blow through whatever hair they have left. Others not only enjoy the travel but working with technology along the way.
Certainly with wind power boats the amount of fuel consumption on short to medium legs if a trip don’t really mean much. Just check it from stop to stop.
Power boats another matter.
Also having some numbers to compare things to let’s you know about some potential problems early. Like why I used 20 extra gallons on a 130 mile trip. Turned out the generator fuel line had a leak. Fixed it right up and problem stopped on the first leg of a 2 week trip.
Some like to pre plan their trip at home and see how close they come to reality. Kinda like why some people like crossword puzzles and others say it’s a waste of time and accomplished nothing. Depends on what you enjoy.

Check to make sure everything is in gallons and liters didn’t slip in somewhere in your preferences.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 12:42   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 440

I just had the same problem. what you should do is completely turn the app off. Restart the app and reapply your ships fuel consumption and then rebooted It couple of times and that should clear it up. Just keep completely shutting down the app and then turning it back on and that should clear it up.
Mooseboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 13:16   #10

Running v15.4 on my ipad I have the same problem. Running v12.2 on my android phone I don’t have the problem. I opened a support ticket with Navionics on 10/8/20 but have not received a response yet.
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 05:58   #11

Just received a response from Navionics for the ticket I opened on this issue.

Navionics Help <help@navionics.com>
To:
kapnkarl
Wed, Oct 21 at 8:34 AM

Dear Karl,

Thank you for contacting Navionics.

In your app go to MENU > SETTINGS > UNITS and then under fuel switch from Gallons to Liters and then back to Gallons. This is a bug in our current version, but this will fix it.

Best regards,
Benjamin
CUSTOMER SERVICE

help@navionics.com
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consumption, fuel, navionics