Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 19:01   #1

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL
Navman Spares

I have a G-pilot 3100 navman auto pilot (Yes I know that this is a discontinued product and that Navman have been taken over) but this is just a feeler to look for some ideas. The pilot works perfectly but the screen on the control head is out. This has been replaced twice already but I cant sorce one in Aust as the people that were service agents say they have no such animal. What I am asking is there any service agents around that would have a left over screen that I could perchase.
Or is the screen interchangeable with another brand "am I asking a stuuuupid question here". I have seen lots of very good tech. advice on here so looking for ideas before I have to upgrade Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:13   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Navman Spares

G'Day Jacko,

I have been in the same situation, and it is a bummer. About a year ago I was able to source a replacement via Whitworths, after a lot of telephoning by a pal who works for them. What I got was labeled as a "3100-S", and it has worked ok so far.

If this route fails you, an independent electronics tech may be able to help you. The problem with these units is simply the connection between the LCD display board and the rest of the circuits. A patient and skillful tech can jumper the connections (which depend on simply being forced together... not a proper plug and socket), and this will correct the problem permanently.

It's really too bad, because otherwise it is a perfectly good autopilot.

Hope that you have some success with this issue.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 30-04-2012, 22:59   #3

Boat: Albin, trawler, 40'

Hi Jacko,

Have you solved your problem with the Navman display? I just purchased this display from a source in the UK for $270 USD. I think they still have some in stock if you are interested. I too love this autopilot so it is worth finding the parts to keep it going.

Cheers, Jeff
Nova Scotia
Canada
Jeff-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 13:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-R View Post
Hi Jacko,

Have you solved your problem with the Navman display? I just purchased this display from a source in the UK for $270 USD. I think they still have some in stock if you are interested. I too love this autopilot so it is worth finding the parts to keep it going.

Cheers, Jeff
Nova Scotia
Canada
Hi Jeff I am the same love the autopilot and have been using it without a screen Would love to know your contact in the UK please post on CF or email that would be great as I have had no luck in tracking one down.
Cheers from sunny Queensland Australia Jacko
Old 01-05-2012, 14:18   #5

Boat: Seaward 22

Don't know if this helps, but I have a navman multi (speed, depth) and the display went out. Northstar helped when I called them. I now have a Northstar display which I was told is the same, but with different branding.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 14:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
Don't know if this helps, but I have a navman multi (speed, depth) and the display went out. Northstar helped when I called them. I now have a Northstar display which I was told is the same, but with different branding.
Thanks for the suggestion but when Northstar took over Navman they dropped the Autopilot from the range so they can not help with parts so I come up blanck with them
Cheers Jacko
Old 01-05-2012, 16:39   #7

Boat: Albin, trawler, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
Hi Jeff I am the same love the autopilot and have been using it without a screen Would love to know your contact in the UK please post on CF or email that would be great as I have had no luck in tracking one down.
Cheers from sunny Queensland Australia Jacko
The company I just bought the display from is JG Technologies Ltd in Dorset, UK. The URL for the Navman page is JG Technologies Marine Wind Depth Speed Instruments. Scroll half way down to find the Navman stuff.
I just ordered mine a few days ago and the web site still shows the product as still in stock. If you like, you can wait a week or two until I receive mine and I will let you know if everything is legit. If you prefer I can contact you directly by email if you give me your address. If not, I will just post it here when it arrives.

Cheers, Jeff
Nova Scotia, Canada
Jeff-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 01:07   #8

Boat: Vagabond 42

Hi All,
I have a Navman G-pilot 3100 which has worked well for about 4 years, albeit with some problems with the display which seems to be susceptible to damp but which has upto now sorted itself after being switched on for a day or two.

I am now doing some repairs to the boat which is in a marina and as the display was playing up, I left the pilot switched on in the hope that the display would stay dry and continue working. We are in the middle of the monsoon and the display is now fading rapidly. I have no idea whether it is just succumbing to damp or whether there is something more serious afoot. Any tips and suggestions gratefully received!
galleyslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 20:33   #9

Hi Jeff-R Thanks for the info I have now purchased from JG Tech with great service it arrived from the UK to here in Australia in 5 days WOW I have installed it and its great to have a screen again.
Galleyslave contact the URL that Jeff-R has posted and purchase new as there is nothing that can be done for your plo one Cheers
Old 16-09-2012, 22:30   #10

You can fix the screens by following this

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 17:35   #11

Boat: Vagabond 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
You can fix the screens by following this
I have done a little research. For anyone thinking of following this excellent demonstration, the connecting strip used is commonly called a 'Zebra' strip, connector, stripe, or similar.

The manufacturing source, like everything else these days, is China. The trick will be to find a local retailer or electronic hobby shop supplier.
galleyslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 19:42   #12

Boat: Beneteau First 38

I'm looking for a Core Pack repair. Everything is working fine only no voltage out to steer starboard. I have checked 20 amp fuses and all are good. Clutch relay activates but no measured voltage to drive.
Any suggestion would be most welcome. I love this pilot.
Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 17:19   #13

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

Hope this helps someone.

I had the same problem with the display. Through research including this page I found a place that you can send the display and for $80 he will supply and install the Zebra connector or you can buy the connector for $40 and install it yourself. The guys name is Tom, and he is very nice and helpful. His web page is atomic4.com Click on the Navman Repair button at the top left for all the info. Below is a pic of one of my two units when I got it back. Almost none of the characters worked when I sent it to him.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6488.jpg
Views:	1044
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	68739
Old 16-10-2013, 08:52   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
Hope this helps someone.

I had the same problem with the display. Through research including this page I found a place that you can send the display and for $80 he will supply and install the Zebra connector or you can buy the connector for $40 and install it yourself. The guys name is Tom, and he is very nice and helpful. His web page is atomic4.com Click on the Navman Repair button at the top left for all the info. Below is a pic of one of my two units when I got it back. Almost none of the characters worked when I sent it to him.Attachment 68739
Very good to know, so thanks for posting this referal.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 14-01-2017, 14:42   #15

I know the feeling. my display failed in the same way about a year ago. I managed to source a replacement 3100s which has a different ribbon attachment for the screen. I fitted it and it works fine. since then the autohelm has again given problems in that it only works on some compass settings. decided to replace it and now have a raymarine unit at great expense!!!! The head I replaced is ok though and I am willing to sell it. I paid nz400 for it. Make an offer if you want it.
ironsides is offline   Reply With Quote