Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2015, 05:46   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Navonics on an IPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
You might want to consider the Garmin app and charts as well. I loaded those on my iPad and iPhone for a trip from the BVIs back to Florida and was very pleased.

I have both Garmin and Navionics on Ipad's and Iphone 4S's and the Garmin is a much better product in my opinion, no comparison.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:54   #17

Boat: Beneteau 393

I use both the Garmin Bluechart Mobile and Navionics apps. I like the SOG and course leader on Navionics and the ease of the route function. I use the Garmin for Active Captain info and to compare against Navionics charts that are also on my chart plotter. The Garmin app was very buggy when it first came out, but really performs well now. I like them both!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:18   #18

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

The best nav aid I ever had. It is my primary when on the helm
I sail in east Med
BUT
Please do not forget that you MUST have updated paper charts for your area for the insurance company to compensate for any damage
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 21:19   #19

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
What does the iOS version do that the Android version doesn't?

-Chris
iOS version has total time, speed & Distance displayed while android only shows speed. Also you cannot edit intermediate waypoints on a route on Android which is a pita, while all waypoints are movable on iOS. Also the track archive in iOS is more detailed.
Old 06-04-2015, 22:14   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rottnest View Post
iOS version has total time, speed & Distance displayed while android only shows speed. Also you cannot edit intermediate waypoints on a route on Android which is a pita, while all waypoints are movable on iOS.

All these things are on Navionics for Android. I have them on my android phone and my android tablet. I think they were an extra, at a cost of a few dollars. They have been added since the very early versions of navionics for android

Also the track archive in iOS is more detailed.
I have no means of comparing android and Ios here, but the archived info on android is pretty detailed.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 23:23   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
iOS version has total time, speed & Distance displayed while android only shows speed. Also you cannot edit intermediate waypoints on a route on Android which is a pita, while all waypoints are movable on iOS. Also the track archive in iOS is more detailed.
You obviously haven't tried the Android version lately For less than $5, the Nav module gives you all that:

When following a route it shows distance bearing and time to next waypoint and Distance, Time to Destination and ETA as well as speed.

When building a route, you can move or delete and previous waypoints by touching then. You can also do it when following the route by touching "Route" followed by "Edit".

It is now a very comprehensive navigation tool which I use as my primary reference in the cockpit.

Android now with Nav Module! | Navionics
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 20:35   #22

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You obviously haven't tried the Android version lately For less than $5, the Nav module gives you all that:

When following a route it shows distance bearing and time to next waypoint and Distance, Time to Destination and ETA as well as speed.

When building a route, you can move or delete and previous waypoints by touching then. You can also do it when following the route by touching "Route" followed by "Edit".

It is now a very comprehensive navigation tool which I use as my primary reference in the cockpit.

Android now with Nav Module! | Navionics
I'm glad Navionics updated it, but I can't even get the upgrade to work on my Android phone. It comes back with a "not enough memory" error. Even after moving the 500Mb Navionics app to the SD card there's still not enough memory. I'm sure there's a fix, but I prefer an OS that just works...
Old 10-04-2015, 05:15   #23

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
I'm glad Navionics updated it, but I can't even get the upgrade to work on my Android phone. It comes back with a "not enough memory" error. Even after moving the 500Mb Navionics app to the SD card there's still not enough memory. I'm sure there's a fix, but I prefer an OS that just works...

FWIW, "not enough memory" is usually brand-agnostic.

Where the app resides isn't "memory" in the "not enough memory" sense. The app resides in "storage" (now, your SD card); it "works" in "memory" (although that's the very simplified version).

You've likely got bunches of stuff using "memory."

-Chris
Old 11-04-2015, 19:26   #24

Boat: J80 & I-14

I've been running the Navionics app on my iPad and it's been superb so far -- can't comment on the phone version, but I could see the screen size being an issue.

If you upgrade from the free version, you get access to the SonarCharts and community edits. I find it really nice to be able to quickly swap between the different charts (government, Navionics standard, and SonarCharts) to double check data. The SonarCharts are updated from community edits so they are usually much more up to date than the standard government charts.
jtulls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avon, iphone, phone