Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2021, 06:30   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Need help with wireless radar connection

I use a Furuno DRS4W wireless radar. It has to transmit through my steel wheelhouse roof, and the signal is marginal. The iPad loses the signal and makes the most gosh awful BING BING BING....

The radar uses IEEE 802.11b on the 2.4 GHz band. There are plenty of repeaters for that, but the radar has no WPS button or other way of connecting the extender to it. The iPad doesn't have an antenna port to let me run and antenna into the solid range of the radar wireless, either.

How do I set this up to be more reliable?

Thank you, electronics gurus.
Old 30-12-2021, 07:28   #2

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch
Re: Need help with wireless radar connection

"There are plenty of repeaters for that, but the radar has no WPS button or other way of connecting the extender to it. "

Isn't there a login ID and password you use to connect to the DRS4W from your iPad? I do not have a DRS4W, but most WiFi access points require you to enter a user name and password to login.

Using a standard WiFi router with a range extender capability, you *should* be able to just connect the router to the DRS4W by picking the DRS4W from the router admin and entering the same login name and password you normally use from your iPad or computer.

But, if it were this simple, then I would have expected Johnny from the FurunoUSA forum to have suggested this (I read your post over there also and his response saying to look elsewhere for the answer). But, perhaps since this approach is not "Furuno approved" he can or won't recommend it? Poking around some more, I found another thread on Furuno forum with this (from a different moderator) which implies (to me) that their answer to your question may not be complete.

In regards to the DRS4W Furuno USA, Inc and Furuno Electric Company can/will only officially support a direct connection between the iOS device and the DRS4W.

Any other method of connection is done at the customers risk, and will not be covered by our warranty nor evaluated and assisted by our technical support persons.

https://www.furunousaforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4106

Considering the (low) cost of a WiFi router/range extender, I would just get one and try it.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 08:16   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Thank you, jordanbigel.

I have an extender sitting around here somewhere. I'll give it a try, and also look into the log-in approach.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:24   #4

Boat: Dinieper Tropic 1200, 42', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Thank you, jordanbigel.

I have an extender sitting around here somewhere. I'll give it a try, and also look into the log-in approach.
Not to zombie this thread, but did you get it to work?
TiPegleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 16:12   #5

Boat: Jeanneau - Merry Fisher 925

I have also Furuno DRS4W, and of course with a long wi-fi name and also long password. it's connected to my Furuno plotter (wi-fi connected to RADAR OR ship's network).

but I want to exchange the name and password of it's wi-fi in order had the same for all equipment on board and made easier the update of the plotter, because every time I have to update it, I have to disconnect from RADAR network and connect to my network and viceversa when finished.

I read the user manual and I could not find any instruction to exchange the wi-fi parameters.

Also I seen that it's only compatible with iPad & ..... is there any plan of having it running with the RADAR plugin in OCPN?

if you want a tester for the plugin, I could try.

Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave
Corsair63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2023, 19:52   #6

edit: old post no need to reply.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 16:12   #7

The antennae on the inside can be replaced. May help a little.

The connection from the board to the antennae looks similar to this: https://www.instructables.com/interf...fl-connectors/

The board is a very small connector and it connects to a standard wifi antennae. male and female connections change depending on the adapter or antennae used including the little pokey piece on the inside of the connector, so look at your adapter and antennae carefully.

Drones often use this antennae type. The antennaes themselves are pretty similar between 2.4ghz and wifi, but I swapped mine with wifi. Might work with other kinds of antennaes that aren't necessarily wifi as antennae design is very similar between different kinds of signals.
300X3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar