Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2011, 14:38   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Neighbor dumping raw AC into water?...what to do?

lets look at the big picture here!,you are going thru anodes,my advice was to hang some over the side,monitor daily,your immediate problem solved,your boat wont sink due to electrlysis.

2nd the problem is a dc problem so first acertain if in fact you vessel isnt causing a problem from its charging system.

3rd easy! check resistance to ground from your neibours ac outlet

it may be you causing the problem,getting lawyers involved is not gonna solve any thing,a marine electrician would be far better money spent......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 14:41   #32
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Dog Watch View Post
" Many people here give me advise??? Many?? Who are you talking about? No one yet has given "good solid advise" as you claim, I think you just want to bust my balls RAM!!! My question has only been posted 20 minutes or so.
More than 29 posts many letting you know what to do-much of the advice your getting is good -here is only a small sample of that advice- like get a lawyer, dont rely on a form for legal advice, move the boat ,unplug the plug at night,Isolation transformers, galvanic isolators, Zincs, hire a professional to check your boat- try being nice to the guy, he may decide to do something to help you!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 14:42   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Guess what....galvanic isolators have limits!

No galvanic isolator is available to protect your underwater appendages from raw, wide-open, electrical contact, be it AC or the worse DC. I should not have even to consider employing such!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's wrong to dump destructive damaging electricity into the water.

Again I ask, has anyone her had to deal with such legally or otherwise. What do lawyers say?
Electricity needs to make a circuit to cause corrosion.
The first step in avoiding this circuit is disconnect yourself from the ground of your neighbors. To do this you need an isolating transformer or at least a galvanic isolator. Without these protective devices your boat can suffer corrosion and / or rapid depletion of zincs, even if there is nothing wrong with your neighbors electrical system.
Stray current corrosion is complex and there can be problems even with these dives fitted. I am not a lawyer, but I do not think you stand any chance for compensation unless you have an isolating transformer fitted (or are disconnected from shore power)
Even with an isolating transformer a lot of stray current problems are caused within the boat so proving your neighbor is legally to blame will prove very difficult.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 14:57   #34

I am going to side with those who have said to you to stop ranting in here and contact someone. It is obvious you are not too happy with any replies you have received in here.

I would also agree with those who have given the advice of contacting a marine electrician or someone that can help you figure out if you are indeed the one causing the problem and not those around you.

Then if you are not self abusing your boat with electricity then you can look into the other resource options available.

It's been over 6weeks and you have not resolved this yet nor have you moved your boat. Sorry but that seems a little ridiculous to me. I would have moved myself into another slip and told the yard master that I had done so. I bet he would have contacted you again by now had you done so.
Siren o the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 14:59   #35

I have the answer. You need to install a Flux Capacitor. That will solve your problem. Like the one used in the time machine from "Back to the Future". I hope this helps. Good luck!
Skipper65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 15:09   #36

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper65 View Post
I have the answer. You need to install a Flux Capacitor. That will solve your problem. Like the one used in the time machine from "Back to the Future". I hope this helps. Good luck!
Now see, this here is a real example of an answer that doesn't help you solve your problem. But even so, it was delivered in a non-confrontational, fun-loving manner.

You however, are resorting to berating the members who have took their time to try and give you constructive advice. You can ----- all you want, we all know you are cussing at us between those lines.

This is a forum where we try and help and bolster one another. True, sometimes we give some hard to swallow advice, but it is meant in a way as to be thought provoking and positive for the intended.

Sorry that you don't appreciate the help that you have been given. No one is pleased with the hard realities of the way things are all the time. But if more than two people tell you the same thing, you might want to perk up and listen. There's usually a good reason they mentioned it.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 15:16   #37

I'm painted here as WRONG WRONG WRONG!

My original concern as posted was: If someone is leaking destructive electricity into the water, and nearby boats are being effected. The number one answer here is to relocate.

My question was: Why does not the offender stop dumping electric into the water?

No.3 What recourse do I have if my boat is damaged?

For God's sake, I did nothing to anyone to deserve this kind of response, just question for answers that are valid.
2nd Dog Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 15:24   #38

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
OK, I'm stupid!

The advise from posting my question here is to either unplug my power cord, install a galvanic isolator, or relocate to another marina.

Got it!

Such a stupid question.......I wont post here anymore....
Nobody said you were stupid.
You were smart enough to do the prelims, but that ain't enough to catagorically prove the source of the problem even if your gut is telling you the culprit.

Seems like a waste money tho'.So do what atoll said and comprehensively eliminate each potential source, the last being stray dc from your own boat. Document each test fully with an independent observer, with pic's & time stamps with multiple certified devices for measurement and take it all to a bottom feeder with your conclusion & pay him several yrs berthage.
I would take my metal out of the circuit-
G'luck
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 15:28   #39

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Excuse the hijack- whats with the malicious url notice when one posts to this thread?
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 15:31   #40

Quote:
I'm painted here as WRONG WRONG WRONG!

My original concern as posted was: If someone is leaking destructive electricity into the water, and nearby boats are being effected. The number one answer here is to relocate.

My question was: Why does not the offender stop dumping electric into the water?

No.3 What recourse do I have if my boat is damaged?

For God's sake, I did nothing to anyone to deserve this kind of response, just question for answers that are valid.
Here goes

Q-My question was: Why does not the offender stop dumping electric into the water?

A-Go ask him, as only he can tell you!

Q-No.3 What recourse do I have if my boat is damaged?

A- Nothing, unless you can prove someone else was at fault.

Hope that answers your questions, it won't solve your problem though.
Artif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 15:32   #41
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
molotov cocktail on neighbours boat....... problem solved let insurance co handle details..,if you still have a problem after check your vessels charging system..
Be careful what you advise , you never know what someone will do & guess who told him to do it !Even if it is a joke
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 15:33   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
Excuse the hijack- whats with the malicious url notice when one posts to this thread?
must be a stray current lol
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 15:35   #43

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Isn't this really dangerous to people who fall in the water?

I heard of a little girl that fell in the water at a marina and was killed by electrical currents from a nearby boat. Her Mom jumped in to save her and was barely able to climb out of the water before being overcome herself.

I did a quick Google to see more details, but it looks like this has happened many times.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 15:36   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Let me give it too you straight 2nd Dog.
1. You were given the answer to relocate because that is something you can do to stop the damage on your boat immediately. Currents in the water are a common problem in Marinas.
2. Why does the offender not stop the process- because we do not know who the offender is (it may be you) and the offender is probably not aware of the problem. It could be the dock itself, it could be your next door liveaboard, it could be somewhere else- this takes time to track down and stop the electric leak. That is why CF members are suggesting solution number 1. Your quick check of yourself and neighbors is not enough evidence.
3. What recourse do you have if your boat is damaged? Probably none, because as stated you knew about the problem and did not move your boat or take other steps immediately to solve the problem for your boat. Once again, solution #1 is probably the easiest to do.
There- I hope that was clear and straight for you. I hope it answered your questions.
BTW- current in the water can kill, so don't go swimming in that marina until the problem is solved. (as a rule, I never swim in marinas for that reason).
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 15:37   #45

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Oh, I am wrong.

This article indicates that it's only dangerous in fresh water.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raw water