Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2019, 09:19   #31

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch
Re: New Autopilot - CPT vs Raymarine EV100

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’m pretty sure that the motor drive for the CPT is a Bosch OTR truck wiper motor, I’ve read it’s actually a 24v motor being driven by 12v.
A less powerful motor would likely use less power, but provide less torque
I think I got the question before, but forgot to answer. The CPT can be converted to accept a Pypilot or a tinypilot as controllers. These talk NMEA, so can steer by wind, pypilot also route.

There is a little work involved converting the CPT drive unit. You need to access the motor directly via a motor controller. A double pole double throw switch switches between the CPT controller and the tinypilot. There is need to install another cable gland, IP 67 or IP 68 rated for the cable from the controller. All can be bought easily and cheap.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:27   #32

Boat: Ericson 35-3
Re: New Autopilot - CPT vs Raymarine EV100

I ended up replacing the motor, gearbox and belt on my existing ST4000+ and it's working great now. I think I'm just going to keep using as is since it's been working fine for my needs so far. But down the line I'm still thinking on getting a CPT if I ever get away from working for a living and go out sailing.

The only trick to it was figuring out how to get all the ball bearing back in place. That was a royal PITA.
brownr377 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, marine, raymarine