Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2021, 10:05   #1

Boat: Dickerson 36 Center Cockpit Ketch
New display for OLD transducer?

My 1973 36' ketch has a massive IN hull (not thru) depth transducer that may be original. The display, a Standard Communications Corp Horizon DS-10, has failed. Since the transducer was working prior to the failure of the display, and I would prefer not to drill more holes in my boat than needed, I'm looking for a display that will work with my transducer.

I just need something that shows the depth, and something like the Raymarine i40 would work for me *IF* I can connect it to my transducer. I've found instructions for connecting the previous generation of Raymarine displays to old transducers, but not the i40. Does anyone know if this is possible? And if not, have any alternate suggestions?

Thanks!
Somedayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 10:41   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: New display for OLD transducer?

We had one of those old SH depth finders (and knot meter) that came w/our boat. We got the depth to work again w/a new transducer and used it for a bit. Eventually we upgraded the depth and other sensors to be able to integrate them into opencpn.
My question for you, are you certain its the head and not the transducer that is bad? Have you looked around for SH parts (ebay, etc.) to test your system?
The DS10 transducer is 200 kHz so any new head you were planning to use should match that transmitter frequency.
Since you boat hull is solid fiberglass, you should be able to mount it inside and shoot thru the hull. This was something we also did until we hauled out again. This way you don't need to drill more holes in your hull.
Bill O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 11:13   #3

Hi Bill O,

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I am certain it is the head that failed. The display slowly faded over about a year while giving accurate readings. I did look for a used display, but they are hard to find and almost as much as a new one when available. I concluded my money would be better spent on a new display. I considered trying to replace the LCD in the unit, but it's apparent that moisture got in the unit, so I suspect more is wrong with it than just the LCD. All in all, I think I'm better off getting a new display unit.

I'd be curious to hear about your openCPN set-up. I have installed openCPN on a pi4 with GPS and a 24" monitor that swings into the companionway to use as a chart plotter. There is also a Raymarine CP, but it's been a little flakey. I'd be interested to know what sensors you got to be compatible with openCPN.

I have a Davis wind instrument with a pypilot weather sensor/display to install this season.
Somedayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 12:34   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

We picked a full compliment of wireless Raymarine/Tacktick instruments (wind, depth, speed and computer interface) from a racer who didn't seem to like them. They work fine and the computer interface allowed us to use a usb cable to the pi. At that time, the latest pi was a 3B and here is our write up on what we did.
We also hooked up a prototype pypilot hydraulic controller that Sean developed for us which works extremely well. We can wirelessly send all the data from the nav. station pi out to the tablet in the cockpit as well as fully control the pypilot.

We have upgraded the 3B to a 4B in the nav. station to be able to handle openGL that the new halo20+ radar needed to work properly.
Bill O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 16:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somedayblue View Post
My 1973 36' ketch has a massive IN hull (not thru) depth transducer that may be original. The display, a Standard Communications Corp Horizon DS-10, has failed. Since the transducer was working prior to the failure of the display, and I would prefer not to drill more holes in my boat than needed, I'm looking for a display that will work with my transducer.

I just need something that shows the depth, and something like the Raymarine i40 would work for me *IF* I can connect it to my transducer. I've found instructions for connecting the previous generation of Raymarine displays to old transducers, but not the i40. Does anyone know if this is possible? And if not, have any alternate suggestions?

Thanks!

My 200 KHz transducer has outlasted about 4 or 5 depth-finders by now. If the frequencies are the same it will probably work.
Coquina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 08:25   #6

Boat: Catalina 30

They make new shoot-thru transducers that will go with modern displays. We choose to use one in our boat since it was in the water when we bought her. If all you want is depth, then get a NMEA2000 version. (Our is a 'fish-finder' type that can show an image of the water underneath and is therefore proprietary to our chart-plotter.)
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 09:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
We picked a full compliment of wireless Raymarine/Tacktick instruments (wind, depth, speed and computer interface) from a racer who didn't seem to like them. They work fine and the computer interface allowed us to use a usb cable to the pi. At that time, the latest pi was a 3B and here is our write up on what we did.
We also hooked up a prototype pypilot hydraulic controller that Sean developed for us which works extremely well. We can wirelessly send all the data from the nav. station pi out to the tablet in the cockpit as well as fully control the pypilot.

We have upgraded the 3B to a 4B in the nav. station to be able to handle openGL that the new halo20+ radar needed to work properly.
Thanks for all the info. Sean was very helpful in directing me to the drivers I needed to interface his weather module with my laptop.
Old 28-03-2021, 09:57   #8

Thanks everyone for all the input!

I've gone ahead and ordered a Raymarine i40 depth, which, as far as I can tell is a 200kHz unit. It has Seatalk, so potentially can interface with my flakey Raymarine chart plotter. Mostly, I just wanna visible working depth gage. It's not NMEA 2000, and thoat would be part of a much bigger upgrade.

One thing this discussion (and looking at specs for gages and transducers) has made me wonder about is how much power my transducer draws? As I said in the initial post, the thing is massive: it's like a small drum fiberglassed in the hull. I know size doesn't always correlate with power draw, but it has me wondering.
Old 28-03-2021, 10:05   #9

Boat: Pearson 30

I just went through a similar process a few weeks ago. If you haven’t already tried, call Ray Marine tech-support for their advice. Also check the number of pins on the connectors. Adapters are available. Caveat is those adapters and existing transducer may or may not work 70 bucks buys a new transducer and cable that you can match to your new head unit.eBay has tons of depth finders, fishfinders and transducers.
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 11:19   #10

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
One thing this discussion (and looking at specs for gages and transducers) has made me wonder about is how much power my transducer draws? As I said in the initial post, the thing is massive: it's like a small drum fiberglassed in the hull. I know size doesn't always correlate with power draw, but it has me wondering.
Are you sure what you are describing is the transducer? I have seen a number of thru hull transducers mounted inside a compartment filled with mineral oil. These "containers" are often made from plastic pipe cut to the angle of the hull and glassed in. The actual transducer is inside or mounted thru the top of the "container".
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 11:52   #11

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

You could have used a RayMarine iTC-5 converter, as it is a 200kHz driver. This would have put out the result onto an NMEA 2000 bus, available for any display device.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 12:01   #12

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Hi Bill O,

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I am certain it is the head that failed. The display slowly faded over about a year while giving accurate readings. I did look for a used display, but they are hard to find and almost as much as a new one when available. I concluded my money would be better spent on a new display. I considered trying to replace the LCD in the unit, but it's apparent that moisture got in the unit, so I suspect more is wrong with it than just the LCD. All in all, I think I'm better off getting a new display unit.

I'd be curious to hear about your openCPN set-up. I have installed openCPN on a pi4 with GPS and a 24" monitor that swings into the companionway to use as a chart plotter. There is also a Raymarine CP, but it's been a little flakey. I'd be interested to know what sensors you got to be compatible with openCPN.

I have a Davis wind instrument with a pypilot weather sensor/display to install this season.
Have you looked into an interface for your Seatalk on your Raymarine CP.
Your transducer should be able to communicate via nema 0183, so an inter face that you can plug into your CP and wire the leads from your Transducer into the interface could be a solution.
Talk to Raymarine or Explore their Web site, for the info.
Cheers,
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 15:20   #13

The Advansea Depth S400 instrument panel (PL57748) will match your old 200khz transducer. For further details contact www.absolutemarine.co.nz or possibly other sites. Beware of many instrument panels only as they are built for 50/200 khz transducers and behave badly (e.g. the Raymarine i40) when married up to a 200khz only transducer. the Advansea instrument panel is not cheap but much cheaper than buying a complete new transducer and instrument set along with lifting the boat out.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 16:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
Are you sure what you are describing is the transducer? I have seen a number of thru hull transducers mounted inside a compartment filled with mineral oil. These "containers" are often made from plastic pipe cut to the angle of the hull and glassed in. The actual transducer is inside or mounted thru the top of the "container".
It could be something like that. There is a large round thing (maybe somewhere in the 8"-12" diameter range? I forget exactly) that is glassed to the hull. It's set so the diameter is parallel to boat level (0 heel). As I recall, it is completely sealed. I'll take a closer look at it next time I'm at the boat. What is the reason for such a set up?

Edit: I found a picture of it and uploaded it to my album. It is on the right of the picture.
Old 30-03-2021, 17:10   #15

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
It could be something like that. There is a large round thing (maybe somewhere in the 8"-12" diameter range? I forget exactly) that is glassed to the hull. It's set so the diameter is parallel to boat level (0 heel). As I recall, it is completely sealed. I'll take a closer look at it next time I'm at the boat. What is the reason for such a set up?
Such wells (containers) are used in order to avoid air between the transducer and the inside of the hull (they are usually filled with mineral oil), and in order to mount the face of the transducer so that it points looking straight down when the hull is floating level. Usually the hull will be at something of an angle in the area where you would mount the transducer.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transducer