Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2020, 04:13   #46

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: New product NMEA2000 to Ethernet

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Are you doing this for 5G? For a boat? The maximum 5G range is 1,000 feet, totally unusable aboard boats anchored out.

I highly doubt that the Netgear will outperform my iPhone for a 4G LTE link. If long range is an issue, then all the jetpacks, mifi’s etc. support external antennas that outperform the Netgear M2 antennas (I bet it has external antenna connectors too). Even the old ones from MyIslandWifi in the Bahamas offer excellent throughput and the limits are upstream, never in your modem.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk router (not the mobile) and it’s firmware is horrible. Nothing like the neat and tight OpenWRT.

With OpenWRT, sticking in an LTE modem, or tethering a phone/jetpack/mifi works great and gives so much flexibility by allowing use of a local provider’s gadget.

Load balancing is a path of hurt as well. I have thrown hundreds of thousands of Euros at it (I owned an Internet ISP) and it never performed like promised.

Hi Jedi,
I am not going for 5G, happy if I get a decent 4G or 3G.
The import thing about Mimo routers and good reception is number of channels/carrier aggregation (the CAT number), number and "size" of internal and external antennas.

A very good video explaining why more channels gives better reception/speed and why Mimos are much better in most cases then boosters. (really bad playing but infos/explantions are good)

A Netgear M1 outperformes a iphone 10 by far, lots of tests out and my RV friend is tracking that since a year. His averages when further away/in the pampa

Iphone 10 via hotspot or USB tethered: 2 reception bars, download 130kps upload 40kps
M1 with internal anntennas used and its internal wifi: 4 bars, download 10Mbits/upload 2Mbits
M1 with internal anntennas and USB-Tethered to Laptop: 5 bars, 100Mbits/upload 40mbits
M1 with external Netgear antenna and USB Tethered to laptop: 5 bars, 100-200Mbits/40-90 MBits
in closer reception environment the iphone gets closer to M1 but never exceeded it. But M1 is better with internal antennas then with the external one. Reason for that is the internal are 4x1 antennas why external is 2x1 antenna with higher gain. close reach much better to have more antennas while further away the high gain antenna its really a try and error case by case if external 2x1 ones are better then internal 4x1 one.

The external ones are mostly better where you have just one or two channels avaliable with far away antenna. And that is the only case where a booster with directional antenna is superior to mimo router.

So it shows the M1 is far superior to your Iphone. The reason for your point the Iphone is faster because its a CAT19 while most LTE Routers boaters use is CAT 6. And this is significant difference, especially these 6 channels are packed/overloaded by all the other boaters in the bay and very slow. Your Iphone as CAT19 has 13 more channels where you in average have another 8 good ones avaliable on the spot which are much less packed and perform well.
But M1 has CAT16 and M2 has Cat20 and get the same less packed 8 channels too but can transfer much more speed due to just physically better while bigger antennas with higher gain then the small iphone build in ones

And it also shows the LTE Router part of M1 is great while its Wifi router part (and the firmware too) sucks. The Wifi card of the laptop was not the bottleneck. And this is where/why I want to use the GINet as wifi router with the OpenWrt (know it from my Asus Routers at home) connected to the M1 with switched of Wifi part.
The real difference in boater environment between M1 and m2 from my research so far are mainly the 4 more CAT channel and carrier agregation. Not sure worth the additional 150 bucks between M1 and M2.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 07:17   #47
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: New product NMEA2000 to Ethernet

Okay you seem to have tested that well. My older iPhone 8 with two bars LTE I still get 10-30Mbps. At 4 bars I get 65Mbps. From the cell providers in the cruising grounds where we go I get 1Mbos at most
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nmea