Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2008, 08:31   #1

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
new radio, now what?

We are going digitl so we're in the process of installing a new 19" lcd-hd tv, a Jvc KD-G510 cd receiver with sirius satalite tuner and pass through adapter so that we can play music (wired directly from the computer to the rear of the CD receiver without all the wires and boxes in front). The receiver has a front aux input so we can temporarily connect an MP3 player or the TV audio there.

So here is my question - Since our aft cabin, main cabin, vee berth and cockpit all have only left and right channels. What is the best way to wire the speakers? The new CD receiver has front left, front right, rear left and lear right speaker wires. I've been told that the front left and the right rear are the same (with the volume controlled by a fader) and that front right is the same as rear left (with a volume controlled by a fader).

Any thoughts or experiences would be much appreciated.

Bill A.
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 08:43   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
We have a similar player and use the front speaker in the saloon and the rear ones in the cock pit. The fader allows the sound to be in both or one location. We have qa cable TV connection and an antenna connection. An Ab swicth can swap between them. The MPS player input works great and I would say you could forget real CD's.

We use a normal small LCD TV and run it on shore power or a small inverter. You can also add a HDTV converter box and run that on 12 volt power too. Ovrall it's a great all in one solution.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 09:40   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
On our sail boat we also had the front speaker in the main Salon and the rear speakers in the cockpit. Ours was also 40 foot and we could never see the need to have separate speakers in all of the cabins.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 10:53   #4

Thanks Guys,

Thanks Guys,

I should have added that the speakers in the various locations (aft cabin, cockpit, vee birth & main cabin) are already controlled by a four station On-Off switch from Radio Shack. So, I really don't need to control weather the speakers are on or off in the various locations.

So I guess I just use the front left and front right and not use the rear speaker wires at all ( unless I do something foolish like add a couple of more speakers in the main cabin)? Sound reasonable?

Bill A.
Old 20-12-2008, 11:08   #5

Paul,

You're right about doing away with the CDs ...... I put all mine on the computer (with a backup on an external drive) .... also bought some software to rip, tag and reformat to MP3 all my old cassette tapes ... I still need to get all those old 33 1/3 LPs riped, taged and reformated to MP3.

I gave away five cases full of Cassette tapes, my wife won't let me give away the CDs (about 500 or so) yet and who knows what we will do with all those peach crates full of 33 1/3 LPs when we copy those.

We're talking about a pick-up truck load of Cds, tapes and 33 1/3 LPs which can now be stored and played from a disk about the size of a pack of cigerattes. Ain't technology great?

Bill A.
Old 20-12-2008, 13:18   #6
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
sure is I have over 5000 songs on computer Ive been playing for 3 days now and still in the bs Sabbath bloody Sabbath playing now.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 15:24   #7
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
. The MPS player input works great and I would say you could forget real CD's..
I still hang on the the CDs. With the new MP3 compatible CD players I burn my own CD's as data MP3s on my laptop. I get about 6- 8 hours of music on one of these CDs which makes them worth keeping. When I built a new cabinet for radios I added a storage compartment to hold the CD's.

I do agree that with the advent of the aux input, a MP3 player will soon replace CDs all together. But then again it's just adding another electronic gadget that will break.

Woodworkers might recognize the cabinet is made from purple heart wood.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 07:54   #8

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobetah View Post
Paul,

You're right about doing away with the CDs ...... I put all mine on the computer (with a backup on an external drive) .... also bought some software to rip, tag and reformat to MP3 all my old cassette tapes ... I still need to get all those old 33 1/3 LPs riped, taged and reformated to MP3.

I gave away five cases full of Cassette tapes, my wife won't let me give away the CDs (about 500 or so) yet and who knows what we will do with all those peach crates full of 33 1/3 LPs when we copy those.

We're talking about a pick-up truck load of Cds, tapes and 33 1/3 LPs which can now be stored and played from a disk about the size of a pack of cigerattes. Ain't technology great?

Bill A.
Got any Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass (sp?)?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 09:21   #9

Hello Therapy,

Actually, Yes we do on 33 1/3 LP (haven't ripped them to computer yet). There really is nothing wrong with a little Taste Of Honey or TIjuana Taxi every once and a while!

And I used to laugh at my parents when they listened to their old music.

Later, Bill A.
Old 21-12-2008, 12:38   #10
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
love that stuff, I did quite a few limewire searches and have quite a few, I remember my parents album Whipped cream and other delights. Best part is the licenses are expired so its not bootlegging to trade the songs.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 12:59   #11

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Man, ripping vinyl is alot like work! I've done a bunch though. I have managed to collect over 2800 ALBUMS of mp3s! Who says ya cant take 'em with you!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 17:50   #12

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobetah View Post
Hello Therapy,

Actually, Yes we do on 33 1/3 LP (haven't ripped them to computer yet). There really is nothing wrong with a little Taste Of Honey or TIjuana Taxi every once and a while!

And I used to laugh at my parents when they listened to their old music.

Later, Bill A.

Send it on over!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio