Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2024, 12:56   #1

New Tablet for use at the helm

We need to replace our 4th gen ipad pro that we use for qtVlm at our (covered) helm to complement our now dying B&G Zeus 2.

The biggest issue we have is viewing the iPad during the day. It doesn’t get bright enough and has a lot of glare.

We’re in the south pacific and can’t view tablets in person so we need to pick one and have a family member bring it when they visit.

I’m trying to decide between the Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra and the new iPad M4 Pro with the nano-texture screen.

Had anyone seen these screens in person outdoors?
Sabado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 17:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: SailTime/Beneteau Oceanis 38
Re: New Tablet for use at the helm

Have you considered these? https://sailproof.shop/rugged-tablet/
(I don't have one)
flpaoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 17:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flpaoli View Post
Have you considered these? https://sailproof.shop/rugged-tablet/
(I don't have one)
Yes, they look great but a larger tablet is needed for my old eyes.
Old 08-06-2024, 17:50   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Check out this blog post - Chris Dunphy has done a comparison of the new iPads specifically focused on marine use. Very informative write up. https://www.technomadia.com/2024/05/...ne-navigation/
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 18:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Check out this blog post - Chris Dunphy has done a comparison of the new iPads specifically focused on marine use. Very informative write up. https://www.technomadia.com/2024/05/...ne-navigation/
Good info. Thank you!
Old 09-06-2024, 13:11   #6

Not cheep, but this seems to answer many requirements if us boaters. Have not used one.

https://sailproof.shop/rugged-tablet/
Wayne Gilham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 13:28   #7

Paperwhite screens don't wash out in sun ( try your kindle reader to confirm). Here's one (of many) monitor to hook up to a mini- computer running windows or Android ( such mini computers are in the range of US$100-120). This monitor does not appear to be waterproof, maybe googling can find one that IS?

https://www.amazon.com/DASUNG-Paper-...3&gad_source=1
Old 09-06-2024, 13:38   #8

Oh hey stop the presses: this new product seems the cat's meow for a sunlight readable, waterproof, low-power cockpit chasrtplotter. Developed by Race to Alaska competitor, these guys take crazy small boats on a very long journey indeed.

See: maptattoo.com

Not sure if/ when it will have South Seas chartpaks, tho...
Old 09-06-2024, 13:49   #9

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Oh hey stop the presses: this new product seems the cat's meow for a sunlight readable, waterproof, low-power cockpit chasrtplotter. Developed by Race to Alaska competitor, these guys take crazy small boats on a very long journey indeed.

See: maptattoo.com

Not sure if/ when it will have South Seas chartpaks, tho...
Looks really cool, but I personally hate to use something with proprietary charts and software that will become a paperweight when/if the company fails or discontinues the product. Personally, I find OpenCPN on a phone works great, and with the built-in GPS it is standalone. Plus, rugged and useful for many other things. You can get some pretty big phones today, but obviously not as big as a tablet.
Old 09-06-2024, 14:18   #10

What size are you wanting? I use a 10inch sail proof which is daylight viewable. I can remote view plotter, run standalone Vavionics or Android app of choice and also use RDP to view nav station laptop for OpenCPN/Expedition.
Only issue is the charging cable which is a little flimsy - can charge over USBC but found struggled to keep up.

I do like the Orca display 2, 10 inch again and Android, with the wireless charging cradle, albeit expensive.
Mattzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 14:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Looks really cool, but I personally hate to use something with proprietary charts and software that will become a paperweight when/if the company fails or discontinues the product. Personally, I find OpenCPN on a phone works great, and with the built-in GPS it is standalone. Plus, rugged and useful for many other things. You can get some pretty big phones today, but obviously not as big as a tablet.
Try qtVlm on your phone. You will be amazed at how much better it is.
Old 09-06-2024, 14:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattzilla View Post
What size are you wanting? I use a 10inch sail proof which is daylight viewable. I can remote view plotter, run standalone Vavionics or Android app of choice and also use RDP to view nav station laptop for OpenCPN/Expedition.
Only issue is the charging cable which is a little flimsy - can charge over USBC but found struggled to keep up.

I do like the Orca display 2, 10 inch again and Android, with the wireless charging cradle, albeit expensive.
I currently have an 11" ipad pro and find it a bit too small. I've contacted Sailproof and they have no plans to make anything larger than 10".
Old 09-06-2024, 14:24   #13

Another direction ( though monochrome) is paperwhite display, much more readable in bright sunlight. Check with your Kindle... there are psperwhite monitors ( Dasung is one mfgr), not sure if any are waterproof. This driven by a mini-computer running windows, or different mini running Android, would give full chartplotter display ( mini-puters are cheep nowadays, US$100-120). I have been using such a setup driving a VERY bright color monitor (but not watrrproof) from camera technology, always readable! But screen is pretty small at 7" diagonal. See: FEELWORLD LUT7 7 Inch Ultra... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085L9V79L...p_mob_ap_share

But WAIT: maptattoo.com had already Integrated all these ideas into a waterproof paperwhite chartplotter! Proprietary operating system, so you'll have to learn all over... and not sure if map packs exist for where you are yet... but sure looks like the cat's meow. No experience with it. Was developed by competitor in Race to Alaska (R2AK)
Old 09-06-2024, 14:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Gilham View Post
Another direction ( though monochrome) is paperwhite display, much more readable in bright sunlight. Check with your Kindle... there are psperwhite monitors ( Dasung is one mfgr), not sure if any are waterproof. This driven by a mini-computer running windows, or different mini running Android, would give full chartplotter display ( mini-puters are cheep nowadays, US$100-120). I have been using such a setup driving a VERY bright color monitor (but not watrrproof) from camera technology, always readable! But screen is pretty small at 7" diagonal. See: FEELWORLD LUT7 7 Inch Ultra... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085L9V79L...p_mob_ap_share

But WAIT: maptattoo.com had already Integrated all these ideas into a waterproof paperwhite chartplotter! Proprietary operating system, so you'll have to learn all over... and not sure if map packs exist for where you are yet... but sure looks like the cat's meow. No experience with it. Was developed by competitor in Race to Alaska (R2AK)
I'll take a look. I'm hoping to not need to change the software and charts we've already invested in but will for the right solution.
Old 09-06-2024, 16:14   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

What software and charts are you using?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helm