Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2017, 10:19   #16

Boat: Outremer 55 Light
Re: New Wireless Radar from RAYMARINE

Installed one in September myself.

Notes:
- Pulled the old radar off, cut the old cable with as much service loop as possible while I was up the mast, crimped some waterproof solar panel connectors on the two heaviest wires inside the old cable and added some additional waterproofing to seal up all the other wires. Used those to power the radar. No new cable to run.
- Getting it synced over WiFi with the chartplotter was a half hour of annoying work fiddling with the chartplotter. Now that its synced, I have never needed to mess with it.
- We have never seen an interruption in data due to the wireless connection, for all intensive purposes, there has been no difference in how we have used the radar whether it be wired or not.
- Been up and down the California coast a few times. Works great. Can even pick up crab buoys. Weather works just like any radar.

Couple of the advantages that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread so far for the new Quantum Radar:
- They are lower power when compared to Raymarine's other current offerings. For us it was the difference between needing to cycle the radar on/off at night to save power and being able to keep it running all night long with a guard zone. Although admittedly, we are comparing to an older Furuno.
- They are "instant on". No warm up period. If you do want to be really stingy with power it makes it a lot easier to cycle it on/off.
elaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 11:33   #17

These sound like a great deal! C'mon Valmika Beneteau- let's pull the plug and go for it.
LA-Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 16:39   #18

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sailor View Post
These sound like a great deal! C'mon Valmika Beneteau- let's pull the plug and go for it.

OK I bought one. Will post review as soon as it is installed
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:43   #19

Me too, had to purchase before raymarines price hike. Waiting for the axiom to be released in UK before I can get it working, going to look paranoid for a couple of months with the old radar on the mast and the new one on a backstay mount.
Williamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 16:31   #20

Hi There,

I am having issues pairing my Quantum with my Axiom. The radar is recieving power... Axiom works. Password and ID are input correctly but MFD still says 'Unable to Pair w Quantum'. Do you remember if there were any tricks you used to get the pairing successful?
Old 26-10-2017, 16:34   #21

Hello all,

I just installed my Quantum radar and am having issues pairing it with the Axiom. All power is run correctly, Axiom is updated and all passwords and ID's are case sensitive correct. Any help to why I still can't get the radar to sync to the Axiom? Anything would be helpful- thank you!
Old 26-10-2017, 16:53   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaak View Post
Installed one in September myself.

Notes:
- Pulled the old radar off, cut the old cable with as much service loop as possible while I was up the mast, crimped some waterproof solar panel connectors on the two heaviest wires inside the old cable and added some additional waterproofing to seal up all the other wires. Used those to power the radar. No new cable to run.
- Getting it synced over WiFi with the chartplotter was a half hour of annoying work fiddling with the chartplotter. Now that its synced, I have never needed to mess with it.
- We have never seen an interruption in data due to the wireless connection, for all intensive purposes, there has been no difference in how we have used the radar whether it be wired or not.
- Been up and down the California coast a few times. Works great. Can even pick up crab buoys. Weather works just like any radar.

Couple of the advantages that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread so far for the new Quantum Radar:
- They are lower power when compared to Raymarine's other current offerings. For us it was the difference between needing to cycle the radar on/off at night to save power and being able to keep it running all night long with a guard zone. Although admittedly, we are comparing to an older Furuno.
- They are "instant on". No warm up period. If you do want to be really stingy with power it makes it a lot easier to cycle it on/off.
Do you remember what your issues were trying to get them synced. We are trying to install LA sailors and it doesn't want to see the radar with his axiom.
Old 27-10-2017, 08:24   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
We've had our Raymarine wireless radar installed for almost a year. Works perfectly.

We are finally getting around to installing these. We are having a problem syncing on the first one we put up. Did you have any issues with the initial setup. The Axiom MFD doesn't seem to see the radar.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2018, 02:59   #24

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 40

Bringing this old topic here back to life. I just installed my new Quantum radar with new Axiom plotter, very easy install, wanted to wire it initially but when it became clear I needed an additional £200+ worth of Raynet cables I decided to give wifi a try, works like a charm, at least within the Raymarine universe

Question though. Does anyone know how one could get the Quantum radar wifi data onto the computer network, particularly with OpenCPN

Thanks
Barry
blucassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:31   #25

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

There are currently OpenCPN plugins for ethernet radars; give it time and someone will most likely write a plugin for the wireless radars.
KeelMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 15:31   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucassen View Post
Bringing this old topic here back to life. I just installed my new Quantum radar with new Axiom plotter, very easy install, wanted to wire it initially but when it became clear I needed an additional £200+ worth of Raynet cables I decided to give wifi a try, works like a charm, at least within the Raymarine universe

Question though. Does anyone know how one could get the Quantum radar wifi data onto the computer network, particularly with OpenCPN

Thanks
Barry
Hi Barry we are still futzing with the first one and have no joy from Raymarine. How far is your radome form your Axiom. We can get it to connect while it is in the cabin or very close to each other but if the radar is more than about 20 feet away it continually disconnects.
Old 11-04-2018, 16:52   #27

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucassen View Post

Thanks
Barry
Did you get the Quantum 1 or 2?
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, radar, raymarine