Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 09:14   #1

Boat: Gib' Sea 352
NMEA / Seatalk / WiFi multiplexors

I've been looking around for a multiplexor that link a Seatalk system (Raymarine ST60+. Instruments & c80 plotter) to nmeaa devices such as AIS as well as provide a wifi gateway.

I have narrowed down my choices to Brookhouse iMux http://brookhouseonline.com or shipmodul miniplex-2wi http://www.shipmodul.com.

Does anyone have any experience (preferably first hand) with these devices. Especially with respect to reliability of the devices and the support from the manufacturer ?

Rgds
Patrick
pgenovese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 18:27   #2

Re: NMEA / Seatalk / WiFi multiplexors

No experience of the Brookhouse unit, but I have installed a couple of the Shipmodul muxes, one with WiFi and one without, one with Raymarine gear. No complaints, no problems, does what it says on the tin.

Oh both on high latitude charter boats, both in constant use over a few years now.

Chris
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 14:59   #3

I haven't used any of these units, on my old boat I built one myself, but having sold that boat and bought another the 2 units I'm currently considering are the shipmodul (that you reference) and the dmk 11a:

DMK Yacht Instruments: wireless access to your vessel's instruments

I too would love to hear about real world experience with any of these units. My nav programs of choice are Coastal Explorer and iNavX on the iPad but both units seem to work fine with those software packages.
thuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 15:44   #4

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgenovese View Post
I've been looking around for a multiplexor that link a Seatalk system (Raymarine ST60+. Instruments & c80 plotter) to nmeaa devices such as AIS as well as provide a wifi gateway.

I have narrowed down my choices to Brookhouse iMux Brookhouse NMEA multiplexers Home Page or shipmodul miniplex-2wi ShipModul Marine Electronics.

Does anyone have any experience (preferably first hand) with these devices. Especially with respect to reliability of the devices and the support from the manufacturer ?

Rgds
Patrick
I have used the standard Brookhouse mux (non wifi) with Seatalk. It works flawlessly. I believe the Brookhouse iMux is around $430 usd.

That being said, I am converting to NMEA200 and have a non wifi Seatalk unit for sale. PM me if interested.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 11:40   #5

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
I installed a brookhouse iMux with seatalk last spring. Very reliable and good support. Mine is primarily utilized for showing AIS on an iPad with iNavx.
Old 16-12-2013, 07:02   #6

Boat: Gib' Sea 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmpegasus View Post
I installed a brookhouse iMux with seatalk last spring. Very reliable and good support. Mine is primarily utilized for showing AIS on an iPad with iNavx.
Have you had much luck communicating with brookhouse. I tried emailing them a few times with some questions and so far had no luck getting a reply from them.
pgenovese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 08:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgenovese View Post
Have you had much luck communicating with brookhouse. I tried emailing them a few times with some questions and so far had no luck getting a reply from them.
The reason that I didn't buy a Brookhouse unit was because of their response to my pre-purchase queries. I received a very fast initial response, which was more of a lecture, and then nothing to my subsequent follow ups. - lost customer.

Chris
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 14:57   #8

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
I had great support via email. I had some initial issues as I had wired up the AIS wrong. They walked me through the problem and the fix.
Old 16-12-2013, 15:57   #9

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmpegasus View Post
I had great support via email. I had some initial issues as I had wired up the AIS wrong. They walked me through the problem and the fix.
I can not say the same. I had to practically beg them to sell me a mux. It took three emails before they would even respond.

My unit works great, but the support not the greatest from my experiences.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 12:17   #10

Boat: Fuji45

I recently bought the Brookhouse unit, the one that is advertised as "simple" and "easy right out of the box". It's not. The wout guy has indeed answer my emails, but he's not been helpful. When I told him we have a brand new Amec transponder, he said I would have to wire in a transistor to make that work. I told him I couldn't get the imux to work and wasn't comfortable with the transistor issues and Im in Panama where I cannot get technical expertise for the imux so I wanted to return it.

His reply? No. Just because I was in Panama and don't know anything was not a good reason. Run from Brookhouse folks. His documentation is awful and his communication is worse.
overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 16:25   #11

Boat: Elan Impression 434

I recently bought the ShipModul unit. Installed perfectly. Does exactly what it says it would. Very flexible and capable.
Charliemciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 17:40   #12

Ordered my shipmodul 2wi recently for st60 wind, tridata and st6001 autopilot on seatalk as well as ais and GPS through Garmin plotter. Hoping to not only pass ais data but create link for all this data to my laptop as a second nav device. Will let you know early in 14 how I make out.
kps0927 is offline   Reply With Quote