Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 23:13   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
NMEA2000/Maretron Powertap Connection

I have a Maretron DSM150 that I want to connect to a WSO100, but part of the NMEA wiring requires a Powertap "T" (yellow wiring), which has 5 wires.

I've searched through the DSM150 manual and other online articles but I can not find any definite answer on how the wires are suppose to connect up. According to the drawing it has two power leads and two ground leads with a shield lead.

So, my questions are;
Where and why do the power/ground leads connect up? I don't want to fry this thing before I even get it running.

Why does it need two power and two ground leads.

And, what is the difference between the J1 & J2 connector.

Thanx

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	powertap.gif
Views:	253
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	62349  
Old 11-06-2013, 23:46   #2

Re: NMEA2000/Maretron Powertap Connection

Also, do I need a terminator(s) if there are no "T's" in the system (except powertap)?

IAW's straight from the WSO100 to powertap and then onto the DSM150
Old 12-06-2013, 07:54   #3

Boat: Hylas 49

http://www.maretron.com/products/pdf...on%20Guide.pdf

has the answers
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:59   #4

Thanks Office! That helps.

Wow! it looks like I need to BUY a small fortune in drop tee's, connector's and terminator's just to hook up one device to one display.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:10   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

I have found that the navstore, www.navstore.com, has pretty good prices on the bits and pieces you need. There are two cool devices that might help you. A Maretron drop box, which allows you to have four devices connected to one drop line, and an actisense nmea 2000 box (cannot remember the model) that allows you the connect 5-6 devices via bare wire, and provides power and fusing to boot. It does not, unfortunately take care of termination, which you absolutely need. If you need to run bare wire to devices, to get through spaces, then you will need field install-able connectors, which can get pricey. The Actisense box does away with 1/2 of them (wires to the box, connectors to the devices.

Chris

Chris

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:43   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Can't you simply use a power tap, two inline terminators and sufficient cable to cover the distance you want the two devices separated?

DSM150 -> inline terminator -> powertap -> inline terminator ->WSO100

The terminators are ~$16 and the powertap ~$36. The cables will depend on how far apart you want things.

The powertap has two wires that go to +12V and three that go to -12V. It is this way so it can supply power down both sides of the trunk.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
I have found that the navstore, www.navstore.com, has pretty good prices on the bits and pieces you need. There are two cool devices that might help you. A Maretron drop box, which allows you to have four devices connected to one drop line, and an actisense nmea 2000 box (cannot remember the model) that allows you the connect 5-6 devices via bare wire, and provides power and fusing to boot. It does not, unfortunately take care of termination, which you absolutely need. If you need to run bare wire to devices, to get through spaces, then you will need field install-able connectors, which can get pricey. The Actisense box does away with 1/2 of them (wires to the box, connectors to the devices.

Chris

Chris

Chris
Yeah, that's part of it. I have to pull these lines thru tight spaces and then add connectors. I'm finding that I'll have to draw up a schematic with male/female notes to get this all wired up. It seems there are so many sizes and configurations that w/o a drawing one could end up with a whole lot of extra parts/fittings.

This system seems it was designed to be installed by a contractor with a huge inventory in a van that could be drawn from, and charged out for labor and parts. Anyone want to start a business?

I already have the display, wind sensor and power tee with a few connectors. But I need to put it all on paper so I can see what to order next.

I've already run 21 meters of a drop line down the mast and want to splice it there and continue on to the power and display. What I don't understand is why I need all these connectors.

Why can't I just run the end devices direct into a Tee and be done with it, like so? (red lines)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mid-power.gif
Views:	176
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	62371  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Why can't I just run the end devices direct into a Tee and be done with it, like so? (red lines)

You can - just like I wrote above. Get two in-line terminators and connect one to the DSM and the other to the WSO. Hook the power tap between the two.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You can - just like I wrote above. Get two in-line terminators and connect one to the DSM and the other to the WSO. Hook the power tap between the two.

Mark
We were writing at the same time. You just posted first.

BTW what is the function of a terminator? Is something going to leak out the end?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:40   #10

Quote:
BTW what is the function of a terminator? Is something going to leak out the end?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maretron
Micro Inline Termination Resistor

The inline terminator is used where the NMEA 2000® network is terminated at a product, for example the top of the mast at a weather instrument or GPS antenna/receiver. The inline terminator plugs directly into the product with the other end connected to the network cable

Micro Termination resistors usually terminate the network by plugging into a tee. The inline terminator doesn't require a tee and easily fits within an instrument's mounting pipe where a tee wouldn't
Rugged, IP-68 rated connectors (submersible) for continued connection integrity in marine environment
So, does this mean I need to climb up to the mast top just to install a terminator?

Why can't it be installed at the power tee?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:45   #11

The Canbus is a broadcasting protocol that uses differential signals. The terminators maintain the differential impedance for noise immunity.

It is quite possible with only a single device on your network that you could get by without the terminators, but they only cost a few $ and are well worth the insurance of not trying to troubleshoot crazy problems.

Others here know much more about this than me and can provide a better answer than the above.

Mark

Old 12-06-2013, 11:48   #12

Quote:
So, does this mean I need to climb up to the mast top just to install a terminator?

Why can't it be installed at the power tee?
Yes, up the mast - but it's not too hard, I did just that yesterday.

It needs to maintain the differential impedance's at the ends of the network backbone. Having 50' of wire between the termination and a broadcaster won't work.

Mark

Old 12-06-2013, 11:48   #13

Quote:
The Canbus is a broadcasting protocol that uses differential signals. The terminators maintain the differential impedance for noise immunity.

It is quite possible with only a single device on your network that you could get by without the terminators, but they only cost a few $ and are well worth the insurance of not trying to troubleshoot crazy problems.

Others here know much more about this than me and can provide a better answer than the above.

Mark
Thanks Mark!
I'm going to head for the boat and get an inventory of what I have and do up a drawing.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:55   #14

If you already have the power tap and the cabling, it sounds like all you need are two in-line terminators. Check the gender of all of them and make sure you get the right ones because that is where it will bite you in the rear.

Mark

Old 12-06-2013, 11:55   #15

Quote:
Yes, up the mast - but it's not too hard, I did just that yesterday.

It needs to maintain the differential impedance's at the ends of the network backbone. Having 50' of wire between the termination and a broadcaster won't work.

Mark
That would be fun.

I may just settle for the in-line tee's with terminators...........

The mast is already back on the boat.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0985.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	62372   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0960.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	62373