Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2016, 09:32   #16

Re: NO more Garmin for me.

It is possible that the small print forbids any reselling. The only way to know for sure, is to check.
Old 26-09-2016, 09:47   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor647 View Post
If you copy and paste the entire name and address into the google search box, you will find many letters written by the same "name" to people in other countries. As some of the receivers of those other letters pointed out, this firm does not have legal rights in other countries around the world.

Also, according to another web article, this firm Keats, McFarland, & Wilson LLP was purchased by another firm in 2013.

In our own personal Garmin experience, the previous owner had installed a new Garmin chart plotter on our boat - and registered everything. We were easily able to get the free SSD card update, even though we were the second "registered" owner of the BlueChart g2 Vision card.

I think this is a scam email. Perhaps you should forward the email to Garmin?
I already sent a reply to Garmin via Amazon and closed my amazon seller account too. I have also just mailed the card to Davey Jones.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:10   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I believe that I predicted the end of the traditional chartplotters was soon to come, just like the buggy whip.
Yup. The first company that releases a modern broadband radar that is fully functional and formally company supported on PC/tablet applications with no MFD will kill the MFD market altogether. Oh, and there's a definite market out there for sunlight readable monitors and tablets.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:19   #19

Generic letter intended to scare people. In the US First Sale Doctrine states that legally purchased copyright protected materials can be resold. Ever seen a used bookstore or a store that sells used DVD's? Same thing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:22   #20

Boat: None

I believe you have over-reacted, and in high fashion. This is much ado about very much nothing.

(1) In some countries, a law firm can press a copyright claim even when they do not represent the copyright holder. So there are law firms that have whole divisions that do nothing but mail out letters like this one and look for a suit to file and a settlement to bank.

(2) Some companies who own copyrighted property that is widely pirated have law firms that just send letters (and ultimately sue) known violators. The maps that go with chart plotters have been widely pirated for many years. (If you buy or are given a copy of software rather than the original, you are a thief. )

(3) Either way, If you are reselling the original, and not a copy of it, then they're just trolling because they saw your "for sale" ad and targeted you as a software pirate. The original product may be resold, and I'm pretty sure this is the rule everywhere. But it's worth noting that Garmin might not provide any customer support to second and subsequent purchasers.

(4) I am not a lawyer, and everything here might be wrong. If you seek real advice on a legal matter, consult a real attorney on it.

~
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:27   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Generic letter intended to scare people. In the US First Sale Doctrine states that legally purchased copyright protected materials can be resold. Ever seen a used bookstore or a store that sells used DVD's? Same thing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine
Thanks. I was not frightened by the email, just very ANGRY! Garmin can go ahead and sue if they wish, I'm already broke, this stone has no more blood left to squeeze out . Card was useless anyway, all hype and no real advantage over the simple built in USA mapping that the plotter came with.

No reply yet from Garmin either, nor amazon so that confirms my decision to dump both companies forthwith.
Old 26-09-2016, 10:28   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I believe that I predicted the end of the traditional chartplotters was soon to come, just like the buggy whip.

Mobile apps allow the transfer of chart data to new devices as you upgrade. I'm still using the charts I purchased from Navionics 6.5 years ago with the annual updates. Only had to pay once, and that was about a tenth of what the European charts would have cost if I purchased the Garmin set.
Quit using Garmin for Navionics as well. On anchor I discovered the depths on the Navionics chart updated with the tide. Garmin's current business model can't compete.
AndyBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:35   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBerry View Post
Quit using Garmin for Navionics as well. On anchor I discovered the depths on the Navionics chart updated with the tide. Garmin's current business model can't compete.
+1
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:39   #24

You give up Garmin and you give up the most up to date electronics company and service oriented companyof it's kind. They have rights too!
Covey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:50   #25

Well I guess I am just a nasty old (in all senses of 'old') customer and got what I deserve but as far as I'm concerned they can go whistle Dixie in the dark from now on. I have retired from boating totally and no longer need their crap. If I need anything it can be handled by my 2 laptops and a tablet, all running OpenCPN and with freely downloaded NOAA charts.
Old 26-09-2016, 11:05   #26

Boat: Cal-40

Sorry the issue with greedy soft wear providers. Myself I stay with Furuno all the way except their radio's i like Icom better. I have never had a bad product by Furuno never even a failed part.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 11:21   #27

IF the letter is legitimate, they are concerned about unauthorized copies. They cannot prevent you from selling something that you bought from a legitimate source. They can, and will prevent you from selling a counterfeit copy whether you bought it or you made it. If you bought this from a reputable retailer or online merchant, you have nothing to worry about or be angry about.
Seaadventurers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 11:49   #28

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I think most of the take down notices have to come from amazon. The proper and legal process is form the company to file a complaint with amazon/eBay/so forth. They then inform you.

Follow us on tikitreksailing.com
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 12:08   #29

Boat: Carver 325 Aft Cabin

My only marine experience with Garmin is with a 76cx handheld. It has been just fine. I have lots of aviation experience with Garmin and find their products generally to be good. However, their product support business model has always turned me off. They also don't usually interface well, if at all, with other brands of avionics. I heard a Garmin rep tell an aviation customer when discussing an interface with another brand: "At Garmin we design our equipment to "talk" to other units, but we don't "listen" to them." They are the 800 lb gorilla in the business and that is just how they behave.
That's the way capitalism works.
damaib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 12:11   #30

Boat: Camano Troll

You certainly have the right to not purchase Garmin products if you so choose, but your stated reason for doing so is beyond stupid. As pointed out way back, you don't own the software, you are buying the right to use it. It's no different than Microsoft Window or MS Word.

If you are hoping to start a boycott of Garmin, lots of luck with that.

Tags
garmin