Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2012, 15:19   #1
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
"No Seatalk HS Connection Detected" on Raymarine e7D

I bought the e7D kit with radar, and my installer put it together. The raymarine raynet to ethernet cable that came with the kit was to short, so I ordered a 3 meter version A80151. I'm not sure if it was the wrong cable or if my guy cut that cable, or if there is some other reason, but the e7D has an alarm on start up, and a pop up window that says, "No Seatalk HS Connection Detected."

The raydome is the RD418D that came in the kit and the connection is via a crossover coupler. The radar fires up but I'm wondering why I'm getting the error message and what it means. Anyone know?

Thanks.
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 20:12   #2

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil
I bought the e7D kit with radar, and my installer put it together. The raymarine raynet to ethernet cable that came with the kit was to short, so I ordered a 3 meter version A80151. I'm not sure if it was the wrong cable or if my guy cut that cable, or if there is some other reason, but the e7D has an alarm on start up, and a pop up window that says, "No Seatalk HS Connection Detected."

The raydome is the RD418D that came in the kit and the connection is via a crossover coupler. The radar fires up but I'm wondering why I'm getting the error message and what it means. Anyone know?

Thanks.
Found this on t'web .. Hope it helps, note the 4th paragraph...:

In order to use an e7/7D/c95/c97/c125/c127/e95/e97/e125/e127 MFD's radar features, the MFD must be interfaced to a Digital or HD Digital Radome or HD/SuperHD Open Array Radar Scanner. The digital radar scanner cable should not be cut.

A Digital Radar Scanner Extension Cable (2.5m (A92141D), 5m (A55080D, or 10m (A55081D)) should be chased from the Digital Radome to the base of the mast. This will permit the Digital Radar Extension Cable to be quickly and cleanly disconnected from the vessel's wiring should the mast be removed. The Digital Radar Scanner Extension Cable will be connected to a Digital Radar Cable of the appropriate length (5m (A55076D), 10m (A55077D), 15m (A55078D), 25m (A55079D)).

A digital scanner extension cable would not typically be used on a power boat unless mounted on an arch or tower would was intended to be removed. In most power boat installations, the digital radar cable will be plugged directly to the radar scanner. The digital radar cable in turn be interfaced to power and the SR6 Sirius Satellite Weather/Radio Receiver / Network Switch which will in turn be interfaced to the MFD via a RayNet to RJ45 Cable (1m (A62360), 3m (A80151), 10m (A80159)).

Should the RayNet to RJ45 Cable need to be extended, then one may do so by using a SeaTalkhs Crossover Coupler and a SeaTalkhs Patch Cable (1.5m (E06054), 5m (E06055), 10m (E06056), 15m (A62136), 20m (E06057)). The power leads of the digital radar cable would have to be interfaced to a 12VDC or 24VDC power source.
Old 24-07-2012, 21:18   #3

Boat: Bavaria 47, 48ft
I get the same error on my e7 unit. It comes up every time I turn it on. It disappears after a second or so so I haven't bothered investigating it.
Let us know if you find out what's causing it.
SV_Inspirare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 22:25   #4
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
Re: "No Seatalk HS Connection Detected" on Raymarine e7D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Inspirare View Post
I get the same error on my e7 unit. It comes up every time I turn it on. It disappears after a second or so so I haven't bothered investigating it.
Let us know if you find out what's causing it.
Okay. By the sounds of things, my installation used the proper cables and the error message may just be a glitch, but who knows? The radar seems to work fine after a while, but then, I don't even know how to use it properly yet, so I wouldn't know if something was missing or if the radar was degraded somehow. I put the question to raymarine tech support also so we'll see what they come up with.
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 22:54   #5

Boat: Grainger, Chincogan,41

Hi Mate,
Old 24-07-2012, 22:57   #6

Boat: Grainger, Chincogan,41

Sorry, I have the same Radar dome, I had problem with the cable as it was too short. I tried using a Cat 6 LAN cable from a computer shop and could not get it to work. I then brought a Female to female plug and used my orginal Seatalk HS cable connecting it to the LAN cable from the cross over to the HS cable. Works a treat
Old 27-08-2012, 01:17   #7

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Did an update on all my Raymarine , E90W, st70 instruments, and ST70 Pilote.
all but the Pilote went OK.
But the Pilote came with the same Seatalk not working alarm, and the Pilote is not working. ?
It is saying NO PILOTE on the screen. ?
What do i do, anyone ?

i have not done anything to the cabels.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 06:38   #8

Boat: Sabre 38

The message you are getting at startup is ok. There is no problem with your system. What is happening the ethernet communications is sending out a signal to the dome to see if it is connected. There is a delay in the dome responding to the signal. Once the return signal is received by the e7 the alarm window closes and the system continues to power up. I have talked to Raymarine about this.
george123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:18   #9

I'm having the same problem with my E120W. My open array doesn't start at all. It's hooked up properly with the VMH 100 power supply, crossover, etc. Tried another array. Tested the power supply - 42 volts like it's supposed to. Any ideas? Brand NEW 10 meter cable.
Mid Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine, seatalk