Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2019, 00:32   #1

Boat: NordicCruiser
Oil temperature gauge on D2-55C

Does anybody know if it is possible to read out the oil temperature on the D2-55C with an EVC instrument?

You can get a 4 in one gauge with fuel level, oil-pressure, volts and oil-temp.

I have not found evidence for the oil temp to be delivered on EVC on the D2-55, but maybe there is someone who has installed it. In the original manual there is only mentioned a cooling water temperature gauge.
NordicCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 03:14   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Oil temperature gauge on D2-55C

The Volvo Penta line of instruments is designed to match all EVC (Electronic Vessel Control) diesel and gasoline engines. This results in a new level of precision, accuracy and reliability that is possible thanks to the fact that the engine, the EVC system and the instruments have been developed together.
The following list is an overview of the requirements for the Volvo Penta accessories. Depending on the different Electronic Vessel Control system generations and your existing propulsion system, different accessories are available to you. For further information, you can always contact your dealer.
https://www.volvopenta.com/marinelei...lity-list.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 12:53   #3

Boat: Elan Impression 434

I’m in the process of upgrading my D2-55C to EVC and hope to get oil temperature onto my MFD.... should know in a couple of weeks.

If you have space to mount an old fashioned huge it should be possible in the old panel wiring too...
Charliemciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 05:33   #4

Boat: NordicCruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliemciver View Post
I’m in the process of upgrading my D2-55C to EVC and hope to get oil temperature onto my MFD.... should know in a couple of weeks.

If you have space to mount an old fashioned huge it should be possible in the old panel wiring too...
Thanks for the info. Would be nice to know if that is possible. Please let me also know which MFD you have choosen.
NordicCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 07:33   #5

It’s going onto a raymarine e97 mfd via a yachtdevices YDEG04 - will let you know!
Old 27-10-2019, 07:58   #6

The can bus protocol which was developed for the D1&D2 engine using the MDI converter box allowed for the following gauges:
- Tachometer
- Water Temperature
- Voltage
- Fuel Level
- Visual alarm gauge

There was also provision for various alarms, such as low oil pressure, high water temp, no charge/over charge, and "system failure" which indicates shorted or open wiring or an auxiliary alarm".

There was no provision within the VP system for oil pressure or oil temperature measurement. You could, however, fit a switch to detect high oil temp which could be connected into the "Aux" alarm input.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 09:18   #7

You are correct, my mistake...

it’s coolant temperature only.... on the physical sensors fitted and pre and post EVC loom too.

Either way, hoping to get it into an actual instrument rather than just binary alarm....
Old 27-10-2019, 09:52   #8

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by your answer....

The D2-55C engine had provision (senders fitted) for both coolant temperature and oil pressure gauges, but when they went to the D2-55D version with the MDI conversion box they didn't include oil pressure data in the new system.

In my opinion, FWIW, you should stay with the original D2-55c electrical system and use an aftermarket conversion box to get your analog data onto a NMEA 2000 bus. From there you can feed a MFD or the gauges of your choice.

The MDI system has been a nightmare for VP since its inception, ( read the threads here on CF), and I don't think it's fully sorted out yet.

DougR
Old 27-10-2019, 09:57   #9

Any suggestions on aftermarket boxes for that purpose? Most I have found seem to convert the EVC data...
Old 27-10-2019, 10:08   #10

Just google " analog to NMEA 2000 converter"

Tags
oil