Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2023, 03:48   #1

Boat: Oyster 485 48'
Old school Tank Tender

We currently have the old school Tank tender for fuel and water. We are already in a refit to move everything to Raymarine SeatalkNG and Seatalk HS. It would be nice to have the levels on the axium screens. Our boat has both of the tanks built into the hull. Is there a conversion kit or advise? I'm aware the Tank Tender is very reliable and accurate. It's more of a convenience not to have to run to the nav station to see what's going on I thought of a fuel flow meter but that won't help the water level. Many thanks

https://tanktender.com/
Takitimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 04:29   #2

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Re: Old school Tank Tender

I had a Tank Tender device in my water tanks but I couldn’t stop it leaking air, and it didn’t register the correct amount of water anyway, because the tanks were built into the hull and tapered towards the bottom.
Old 19-01-2023, 04:55   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I hate the gauge senders inside tanks as they always go bad.

I love our TankTender system but, like you, I am looking at replacing it. I have my eyes on the Maretron pressure based sensors with a nmea2000 module that is compatible with your SeatalkNG.

This is the FPM100 and it has six channels. Instead of tanks you can also monitor fuel filters etc.

https://www.maretron.com/products/fpm100.php

It’s expensive because the pressure sensors are required as well.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 05:34   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I had a Tank Tender device in my water tanks but I couldn’t stop it leaking air, and it didn’t register the correct amount of water anyway, because the tanks were built into the hull and tapered towards the bottom.
The system needs no electronics or even electricity and is normally very reliable so your failure is unusual. We have used this system on our last two yachts (the one unit measures eight different tanks on our current yacht) over 16 years without any faults or maintenance. The system is still available . See website below:

https://tanktender.com

The Tank Tender simply measures the height of liquid so a table, graph or programmable calculator is needed to convert it into the correct volume measurement. With this you can determine the number of litres or gallons to a high degree of accuracy regardless of tank shape.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 06:46   #5

Boat: Tartan 3800

I don't have any advice but would be happy to take the old Tank Tender off your hands once you replace it. Top dollar paid, help out a fellow cruiser, etc etc....
Old 19-01-2023, 08:53   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

I love our TankTender system but, like you, I am looking at replacing it. I have my eyes on the Maretron pressure based sensors with a nmea2000 module that is compatible with your SeatalkNG.

This is the FPM100 and it has six channels. Instead of tanks you can also monitor fuel filters etc.

Way to go, you can generally T off the hose at the tank outlet and get a good reading and not need to cut holes to install them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 3.11.59 AM.png
Views:	69
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	270267  
Old 19-01-2023, 11:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I don't have any advice but would be happy to take the old Tank Tender off your hands once you replace it. Top dollar paid, help out a fellow cruiser, etc etc....
I'd be happy to remove it and package it up, long as you pay shipping and promise to pay it forword to another sailor in the future if you have something someone else is in need of. It's going to be about a month before I get to it after I research and get a replacement.
Old 19-01-2023, 11:18   #8

Quote:

Perfect, thanks. That's the direction I was looking for.
Old 19-01-2023, 13:17   #9

Boat: Tartan 3800

pm sent
Old 19-01-2023, 18:27   #10

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Quote:

I also installed the FPM100 (Fluid Pressure Monitor I think is what it stands for) with 5 internal to tank level sensors and 1 fuel vacuum level sensor on the NMEA2K and they work really nicely. (Fuel, Water, Reserve Water, Holding Tank 1, Holding Tank 2). So far the internal tank sensors have been working very nicely and are pretty stable when the boat is moving around.

I also have the Hart Level sensor still installed and use as a quick check when the N2K is not powered up.

Interesting that the one in the almost inaccessible holding tank (it is under the battery bank and I have to pull the batteries to remove the cover) all the sudden went from reading normally to reading a full tank (may have slewed over a few days). Hook up a different sensor to the same input on the FPM100 and everything is fine. The forward holding tank has worked fine all season.

A note about leaking Hart, I found that one of the button switches used to direct which tank is being check developed an internal leak. I bypassed that button with hose on the back and the rest of the panel works great. The Hart is not perfect with Sewage either, if you don't routinely check the level of the tank eventually the tube gets covered over with calcium buildup and gets plugged.

I highly recommend the Maretron FPM100 and the internal pressure monitors. I also installed their FFM100 (Fluid Flow Monitor) on the 90hp Perkins M90 and it is amazing to see the impact of optimizing RPM for current, headwinds, motor sailing, and the like.
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 18:32   #11

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post

Way to go, you can generally T off the hose at the tank outlet and get a good reading and not need to cut holes to install them.
The line to the in tank sensor is pretty thin (3/8" perhaps) and the provided gland fitting is 3/4" if memory serves. My tanks are fiberglass so I was able to drill and thread the hole and insert the gland fitting.

The sensor itself is larger than this (which is why they have the standard float sensor sized hole adapter) but you can thread the hose up from the inside of the tank and minimize the size of the hole.

On some tanks I used a 90 degree street el to turn the corner (which I opened up a bit with a dremel tool to make the hose go through nicely.
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2023, 00:59   #12

Boat: Island Packet 40

Most of the older big semi submersible offshore drill rigs used a pneumatic back pressure system to monitor the dozens of tanks in their underwater pontoons. A metering orifice for each tank supplied the closed top sounding tube in each tank and the back pressure was indicated by a mercury filled U tube manometer. Pretty well the simplest and most maintenance free system one could imagine.

Similar pneumatic systems were used to monitor the levels of drilling mud in the tanks, by putting two sounding tubes at different levels in the tank the density of the fluid could also be measured and compensated for.
Old 20-01-2023, 04:28   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botanybay View Post
The Hart is not perfect with Sewage either, if you don't routinely check the level of the tank eventually the tube gets covered over with calcium buildup and gets plugged.
Are you using using a Tank Tender with the purge option (recommended for black water) or the regular model.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
school, tender