Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2020, 06:14   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5
Older Raymarine Chart plotter Replacement

Greetings!

I recently purchased a sailboat with older Raymarine electronics. Main chart plotter is an RC631 with ST60 wind/speed/depth. The chart plotter and depth were the only functioning units at time of purchase.

The RC631 recently died. It's getting power to the unit but either will not power on, or sometimes when it does, it's just a blank grey screen.

I plan to upgrade all instruments in the future but don't currently have the budget for a full retrofit. I use a tablet with navionics for general navigation so the chart plotter function is not missed but I DO miss having Depth, speed, heading etc easily visible from the helm. Although the ST60 depth unit is functioning, it's placement is horrible and not easily visible when driving the boat!

Is it possible to purchase a newer Raymarine chart plotter for now and have it communicate with my existing GPS and depth units, then add upgraded wind/speed/etc later? It's my understanding that there are converter kits for older seatalk to seatalk ng but I have no experience with them and am looking for advice. If this is possible, do you have any recommendations on Chart Plotters that would work?

Appreciate any insight you can provide.

Thanks!
-Dave
dmungai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 13:33   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Older Raymarine Chart plotter Replacement

Dave, does this photo help?

It's the Element 9 Sail from Raymarine, sort of cut down Axiom, but rubber buttons not touch screen which I wanted.

On display is a split screen with chart mostly of the picture and the sailing display with Depth, Speed or would be but for the fact I was tied securely to a pontoon when taking the photo. Wind etc. VMG and SOG would appear when moving.

The Element 9s connects to a SeatalkNG network, as does the ST60s with the Seatalk > SeatalkNG connector. It all works, however, the RM Support Team recommend powering any Seatalk instruments separately and modifying the spur cable that goes from the converter to the instruments by cutting the red power cable. This means you don't have two sources of power going to the instruments which may cause all sorts of problems.

Also you may end up with a few other items on the SeatalkNG network plus the converter and then the ST60s. That is asking a bit much and the converter doesn't like it for any length of time. Mine shuts down and sulks. Fish the red wire out of the spur cable with a sharp blade carefully and tape back up.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Element 9.2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	219785  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 04:29   #3

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5
Re: Older Raymarine Chart plotter Replacement

Thanks for the info Pete! Good to confirm I have options. I will definitely check that model out. Take care.
dmungai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, men, raymarine