Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2020, 18:08   #16

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Omnidirectional wifi antennas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Directional antennas like that need to be set up and aimed every new location, especially yagis, then you have the (lossy) antenna cable run. Whereas having a decent omni plus transceiver permanently mounted on a spreader (eg a Ubiquiti unit) is much less hassle, and will work well in most marinas and harbours.

A good yagi antenna is so directional that if your boat was rocking in your slip because of a wake, you'd probably lose connection.

[
I have been using DIY vertical dipoles for both analog and digital TV at the top of my mast for years now and often find that I have good reception on all available channels where folks with store bought marine antennas have limited. I went through a period of searching for good antennas, some with masthead amplifiers, some without, without much success prior to experimenting with the dipoles.

Fir the very limited effort required taping a couple of pieces of wire to a piece of dowel with a short section of coax or doing the directors, reflectors, dipole thing on a piece of cardboard for a DIY Yagi to see if reception improves would be worth the effort.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, wifi