Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2006, 23:16   #31

Jerry.

Believe me when you mentioned guitar strings.

I've been through more sets than I can count!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 15:43   #32

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Alan Wheeler once whispered in the wind:

10: An LCD TV can do more than JUST be a TV. It can also be a very good computer monitor. But few monitors make good TV's. So invest int he TV and use it for other things.
I'm curious as to why LDC monitors don't make good TV's. I have an ATI TV tuner card in my computer and use the computer and monitor as a TV and DVD player. Seems to work fine. What am I missing out on?

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 17:37   #33
cruiser

Hi Mark,

I agree with you. LCD monitors can make fine TVs if you use the computer/card setup you have.

Thread wander for Mark: Had some trouble with Rich Beers sending me up Ester Oil for the refer unit in a USED can of 3M adhesive. Before I post the complete experience for all to see, I'm seeing if he will send me up some more in an unused container, or guarantee that this won't destroy the compressor. Other than that, I'm ready for the installation. Looking forward to trying this baby out!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 20:35   #34
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Lost in space
Aye Folks.

I must have missed this here thread 'cause I just found it..

Bought a stereo for my ship yeasterday and did no back ground checking or home-work.

Just shopped for the cheapest possible Marine AM/FM/CD and found it at West marine for less than half price: US $ 89.99/

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...1/10877/11156/3

As the ship have speakers installed I am selling the marine speakers that came with the $89.99 special..Here is my ad on E-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Bid away, bid away, don't be shy.

If I can't sell them here speakers on e-bay, I will donate 'em to a needing Crusierforum member for freight charges only.

Last edited by CSY Man on 12-02-2006 at 23:33

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-02-2006 23:27
Old 13-02-2006, 10:46   #35

Boat: Island Packet 44
I too am researching boat systems and no doubt these posts offer wonderful and expert advice. However, having read them my brain is starting to bleed.
Old 13-02-2006, 13:51   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Speaker enclosures...

I've built several of my own speakers (to published designs) and mostly they seem to consist of a damped vented box for the woofers with the tweeters not needing a box.
Makes me wonder. Since a boat is basically a series of enclosures could one not simply mount large (12") woofers on a hole in a suitable enclosure (toilet, cabin, locker etc) with the normal venting and contents providing venting and damping.
The tweeters could be placed so that the directional aspect was correct.
Most of the inside listening is done from a fixed position so it should be possible to get good sound with low power.
Cockpit speakers could be installed by putting polypropylene (say 4-6") speakers into cockpit lockers in the same way, provided this did not compromise seaworthiness..
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 19:48   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Firstly to the LCD making a TV. I haven't cheacked back at the post, but I hope I put SOME. Some computer monitors have a limited viewing angle. Then the picture disappears. Your viewing angle may be much wider on a boat. Especially if more than just one or two are watching. TV screens have a very wide feild of view.You can watch it from quite an angle and still the see the picture OK. This angle is also in the verticle as well as horizontal.

Speakers. Guy's, if you think I made heads spin with the last lot, don't get me started on speakerbox designs. But here is, Hopefully, a simple explanation.
The cone of a speaker must be controlled in it's tavel. It's called dampning. This is done in two ways. The "stiffness" of the cone movement and the air pressure in the box. The box air pressure does many things, but in this instance, I will describe two. Firstly, it acts as a dampner or cusion. If it didn't exist, then the cone will travel too far and crash its Voice coil into the magnet and destroy itself. The other aspects is in three parts. Think of a pye. Cut it into three. In a segment you will have, Low frequency, another will be SPL or how loud the box goes and the last is Box size. Change anyone of the segments and the other two also change.

So box diamensions are criticle for the sound and the protection of a driver. As for Tweeters, yep they can go in anything, as long as they are either sealed backs or in a sealed box from the other bigger drivers. Or you will blow the guts out of them.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 21:21   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

High power....

My experience has been that damping is critical on commercially ,made boxes where the first thing a buyer does is to take it home and try it on full volume.
If one can avoid that temptation then the speaker will last well. If my speakers start to distort I turn the volume down fast.
I have burnt out tweeters, but not woofers. In fact on my current speakers I drive the woofers direct from the amp, and the tweeters from the crossover. Much nicer bass response, but yes, max volume is limited.
What I do think is important in a speaker installation is to prevent the sound from the back of the speaker comming round to the front.
I get a nice sound without the power handling ability, or the price, of similar manufactured speakers.
Old 13-02-2006, 21:29   #39

Hey Chris.

What kind/s of music do you generally listen too?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 14-02-2006, 13:52   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have eclectic tastes...

I like rythmic tonal music.
Everything from 60's bubble gum to Pavarotti.
The last album I brought was Jimmy Buffett "Meet me in Margaritaville" seeming as eveyone was talking about him.
My current favourite radio station is Vega 95.3. You can listen to them by going to http://www.vega953.com.au and selecting listen.
Got any recomendations for good cruising music?
Old 14-02-2006, 15:57   #41

Hmmmmm?

Anything from the rock band Heart is ok?

I'm a big fan of the Canadian rock band RUSH!!

Another Canadian band "Triumph."

Level 42 is ok. If you like jazz-fussion? Also Herb Alpert!!

Enya or Bjork?

Coldplay.

I personelly listen to whatever I want to listen too!!

I'm into lots of hard rock music. Especailly Heavy Metal music. Bands like Iron Maiden. Dio. Judas Priest. Queensryche. Etc.

But, like I said. Whatever my mood is. I play it!!

But, I do not like rap, and hip-hop music. It doesn't qualify as music in my book!! Just perverbial fart noises is what it sounds like to me?

Some R & B is ok.

That's what I like!!

Old 14-02-2006, 20:36   #42
Kai Nui

When the seas are big, and it is late at night, Tchiacovski. Early morning with calm seas and a brisk wind a little Sondhiem. Off watch, just kicking back, Massive Attack. Boat work, AC/DC.
Bach is good on a cold morning on the hook with a cup of Earl Gray. A good samba is nice when having drinks on the hook.
Old 14-02-2006, 21:02   #43

Yup Kai.

I forgot to mention Classical music. Cannot forgot that kind of music.

Old 15-02-2006, 04:42   #44

Boat: SV Tin Cup
We have an LCD tv in addition to the laptop; really a great investment in visual entertainment. Added XM radio to our onboard stereo system and that is all we listen to anymore (the CDs are never broken out with the huge selection on XM radio). XM radio is great for our cruising area and we never have to hunt for a good station!
Cheers,
Roger Rippy
SV Tin Cup
Rippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 06:01   #45

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
You guys are making my head spin and I'm an ex audiophile. Once upon a time was also in the business [30 yrs ago]. I still have most of my old system from back in the late 70's when I could afford to buy the stuff. To replace today is huge dollars. My old home speakers finally got to the point I had to replace and the ones that sounded better (B&W 801D) were $9000 or so for the pair -- ouch. Didn't buy those. But on the boat I'm reformed.

All I want is a basic systems that will play music. I can play CDs, my iPod, and Sirius satellite. Have speakers on deck and below and can get semi-reasonable tunes without big amps or burning lots of power.

I wanted to do a better pair of on deck speakers [Niles] but then I really needed more than the car stereo can deliver which meant a amp which meant 10+ amp draw -- you know the rest. I have come to the conclusion that doing real sound on a cruising sailboat is not practical. Have tunes is...
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote