Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2021, 12:33   #1

Post Open Source Marine Instrument brainstorming

Good Day, I am an electronics expert (Almost Engineer) looking into creating an open source ~4in marine display. For me this comes from wanting to make a better display for my battery pack to display voltages, current rates, and such. But I thought this could be made into a bigger project.

The idea being that I would create the hardware and a set of templates so the end user can configure the display using a simple programming language like Arduino or even developing a dedicated GUI programmer. You can have ANY information from ANY system displayed on this. It would also be useful as a remote control for CAN based switches. So long as you can get the right decode information.

I want to use this thread as a brain storming session.

What features would you like to see in a marine instrument display? Just starting off the bat these are things I would include:
  • 4in sunlight readable display
  • 3 big buttons
  • Ambient light Sensor
  • Full weather IP66 protection
  • 5-60V protected power input
  • 2x protected analog inputs (0-12V maybe?)
  • 2x protected outputs 1A
  • 1x isolated CANBUS port with support for NMEA 2000 and as many other CAN systems I can find
  • Optional GPS module to be used as a system backup or standalone
  • RGB indicator LEDS?
  • Battery Backup?
  • Price target around 200USD.
This isnt going to replace most systems out there but for DIY guys that are doing custom power systems or just want to add a fixed GPS monitor into an old boat.
jack4566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 13:49   #2

Re: Open Source Marine Instrument brainstorming

go for it. and don't forget touch screen. To have a few of them on board, in different places, as part of the wiring loops, ie main cabin, pilot house, saloon/chart table etc would be welcome. We are looking at the open source Boat Operating Systems for same reason as yourself, I suspect. When constructing, please do pay extreme attention to quality of internal materials, connections and chips. Most fall apart / corrode / bridge in a moist salty crashing thumping vibrating boat environment rapidly. We have recently been looking at resin embedded chips and circuitry for this reason.
2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, men, rum