Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 13:21   #331

Boat: Moody 44
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
The first phase of documentation is about to finish. Just what is this, what I need and getting started chapters. I need some feedback about tested VNC and RDP remote desktop clients on different platforms to make a list here
https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplot...e_desktop.html

Could you post your favourite apps?
Thanks!
RDP Clients I have tested are
Windows 10 Remote Desktop client
Windows CE 5.0 Remote Desktop Client - Embedded in a Panasonic CF-08 wireless display

VNC Clients I have tested are
RealVNC viewer ver 1.2.12 on Android 4.0.3 on Arnova 9G2 tablet
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 13:35   #332

Boat: Chantier duu Port Rézé les Nantes, Mopélia 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamonos View Post
Here is a list of hubs that have been tested/verified with RPi.

RPi Powered USB Hubs - eLinux.org

Richard
A suggestion to avoid back power from the hub : cut the USB cable connecting the RPi to the hub (yes, in 2 parts), and reconnect the GND, the 2 data wires, but don't reconnect the +5V (red) !
The hub will then only function when powered, but isn't it what we want ?
Level : very easy (see below)
Required : sodering (equipment and minimal skill), and heat shrinkable tubes.
Didier B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:59   #333

Thumbs up Re: OpenPlotter project - Float switch testing -Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
Let me know about your switch testing please
Float Switch testing - part 1

How I proceeded :
A - In the switch panel, for switch 1, I selected GPIO5, defined the switch as Pull-Up ;
B - In the action panel, I defined an event : Switch 1 status, "Goes ON" ;
and a related action : message ("présence d'eau ŕ tribord"), repeat, 20s ;
C - I connected directly the float switch to GPIO 5 and + 3.3V, poured the water in the test "bilge", and suddenly ...

the message appeared !

Sorry about the quality of the picture, the lighting was poor...
I also tested with an angle of heel of 33°, it worked the same

Remarks & suggestions about messages and repetition :
- Until acknowledged, each 20s (in my case) a new window will open displaying the message. What will happen when nx100 windows will be opened while the captain is napping ? A solution could be that the previous window (identical message) are closed at repeating time. Of course I have no idea about feasibility ...
- Adding to the message a time stamp of the initial event detection would also make sense.
- One way I found to remove all these message windows was to stop & start all actions. It seems a bit rough, may be a "Clear messages" menu entry could do the job in a more appropriate way.

On my TODO tester list :

1- add an action to produce a sound to interrupt captain's nap. I suppose I should connect a Loudspeaker to the 3.5 Jack

2- alternatively : add an action to activate a buzzer from 12V
(with a resistance and a transistor)

3- and last (so far), but not least : add an action to activate the bilge pump, using a relay (with a manual override, of course) !

In cases 2 and 3 how should I terminate the action ? With an other event ? Or will the action stop when condition disappears , i.e. switch 1 "Goes OFF"
(forget this last one, I will have checked in 5 min).

As we say in France : ŕ suivre ...
Old 06-02-2016, 10:14   #334

Boat: none yet

Hello Sailoog

Thank you for your hard work in building project. I've set up a head less system on my pi, by editing the config.txt file within the boot folder. I'm using VNC Vinagre on Debian.

I've use a Global Sat BU 353S4 GPS, got that working by editing the gpsd config file with:

START_DAEMON="true"
GPSD_OPTIONS="n"
DEVICES="/dev/ttyUSB0"
USBAUTO="false"
GPSD_SOCET="/var/run/gpsd.sock"

save it, then
sudo /etc/init.d/gpsd restart

The 353S4 GPS is plug into the pi, its the only way I can get to work, so its either a power issue with the hub or the device path.

If some one could help me with that ? when 353S4 GPS plug into the hub, the pi can't see it.
Rich UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 14:18   #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
Thanks for the link. You're right, I think some of the modules are referred to as eInk rather than ePaper, but it's the same tech. As far as the Nook goes, I'd prefer not to root anything. The displays I found are HDMI ePaper/eInk.
Has any of you seen the Pixel Qi screens (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1303)? The company is belly-up, but the screen is still being sold on Ebay (Brand New Pixel Qi 10 inch PQ3Qi-01 LCD Screen Display Panel | eBay), and apperently, their patents and tech are taken over by Tripuso (TRIPUSO DISPLAY SOLUTIONS - Home).

From what I see, this is the perfect screen for an outdoor plotter. The screen was used in a tablet/e-reader combo called the Adam.

Just my 0.02..
skyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 19:35   #336

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Sailoog, I was just wondering if you could consider any plans in the future to support a cellular module like the Adafruit Fona (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1963). I use one of these with my Pi to email me upon certain events (like the bilge pump cycling).

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Davidasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:16   #337

Boat: Pearson 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhi View Post
Has any of you seen the Pixel Qi screens (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1303)? The company is belly-up, but the screen is still being sold on Ebay (Brand New Pixel Qi 10 inch PQ3Qi-01 LCD Screen Display Panel | eBay), and apperently, their patents and tech are taken over by Tripuso (TRIPUSO DISPLAY SOLUTIONS - Home).
I have looked into Tripuso. Their office is about 20 minutes from my house. I was very excited to find them and their technology. Unfortunately, multiple phone calls and messages have remained unanswered. I decided to "bite the bullet" and try one of these: HDMI Samsung 7" LED LCD Touch Monitor Kit Out Door Industrail Grade Sunlight Car | eBay

800x480, HDMI input, sunlight readable. It has shipped from Hong Kong, but has not yet arrived. I'm hoping to 3D print a case to put it in.

Richard
Vamonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:31   #338

This morning : impossible to record any action in OP !

I tried to replicate what I did yesterday, as I wanted to confirm a mistake in my post (switch defined as Pull-UP, connected to GND, not +3.3V) .

When I start open plotter, all previously set actions had disappeared !
When I set an action, push the Apply button, close OP and re-open it, select the proper event : the action action window is empty ...
Old 07-02-2016, 09:35   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier B View Post
This morning : impossible to record any action in OP !

I tried to replicate what I did yesterday, as I wanted to confirm a mistake in my post (switch defined as Pull-UP, connected to GND, not +3.3V) .

When I start open plotter, all previously set actions had disappeared !
When I set an action, push the Apply button, close OP and re-open it, select the proper event : the action action window is empty ...
That doesn't sound good. Something similar happened before but I thought it was fixed. Try to open OP in debug mode and copy paste what the terminal says:

Code:
python /home/pi/.config/openplotter/openplotter.py
I think must be a problem with unicode characters (our languages are plenty of ç, ŕ, ń ...). After debugging and posting try to fix it editing the openplotter.conf file and removing the value of the variable "actions":

Code:
[ACTIONS] 
triggers =  
actions =
then try to set actions again without especial characters. Your message "présence d'eau ŕ tribord" may be the problem.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:44   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
Windows CE 5.0 Remote Desktop Client - Embedded in a Panasonic CF-08 wireless display

thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-02-2016, 09:49   #341

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

@Vamonos:

I am utilizing one of those cheap Truck/Boat/RV HDMI TV displays on the Raspberry Pi2 - using both Rasbian and RISCOS with great results. I tucked the little display into an injection molded plastic enclosure (< $5 ) and have a pretty portable unit:

https://programmingmiscellany.wordpr...raspey-riscey/

The odd resolution (1024x600) is not a normal HDMI resolution. I had to use a trick in config.txt to make the cheapo TV work:

Code:
# Setup for cheap Auto/Truck/Boat/RV HDMI TV on Raspberry-Pi2/RISCOS
overscan_left=0
overscan_right=0
overscan_top=0
overscan_bottom=0
hdmi_drive=1
# Ignore ID of device, since RV TV won't be relevant
hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
# Scale to native resolution of Truck/Boat/RV HDMI TV
hdmi_cvt=1024 600 60
But, with OpenPlotter, no dice. Is OpenPlotter based on Rasbian Wheezy or Jessie?

@SkiHi: Thanks for the links. I'll check em out!
Old 07-02-2016, 10:13   #342

Re: OpenPlotter project - Float switch testing -Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier B View Post
Float Switch testing - part 1

How I proceeded :
A - In the switch panel, for switch 1, I selected GPIO5, defined the switch as Pull-Up ;
B - In the action panel, I defined an event : Switch 1 status, "Goes ON" ;
and a related action : message ("présence d'eau ŕ tribord"), repeat, 20s ;
C - I connected directly the float switch to GPIO 5 and + 3.3V, poured the water in the test "bilge", and suddenly ...

the message appeared !

Sorry about the quality of the picture, the lighting was poor...
I also tested with an angle of heel of 33°, it worked the same

Remarks & suggestions about messages and repetition :
- Until acknowledged, each 20s (in my case) a new window will open displaying the message. What will happen when nx100 windows will be opened while the captain is napping ? A solution could be that the previous window (identical message) are closed at repeating time. Of course I have no idea about feasibility ...
- Adding to the message a time stamp of the initial event detection would also make sense.
- One way I found to remove all these message windows was to stop & start all actions. It seems a bit rough, may be a "Clear messages" menu entry could do the job in a more appropriate way.

On my TODO tester list :

1- add an action to produce a sound to interrupt captain's nap. I suppose I should connect a Loudspeaker to the 3.5 Jack

2- alternatively : add an action to activate a buzzer from 12V
(with a resistance and a transistor)

3- and last (so far), but not least : add an action to activate the bilge pump, using a relay (with a manual override, of course) !

In cases 2 and 3 how should I terminate the action ? With an other event ? Or will the action stop when condition disappears , i.e. switch 1 "Goes OFF"
(forget this last one, I will have checked in 5 min).

As we say in France : ŕ suivre ...
As you says in your last post: pull_down > 3.3V and pull_up > GND.

About suggestions...

I also thought that a new window message closes the old one but then you do not have way to see older important messages. Remember that you can link as many actions as you want to the same trigger and you have a "close all messages" action to be created before opening the new one if you want. Anyway the question is, why do you need to repeat that message every 20s?
If you don't repeat that action, the message will no open again until the trigger is false and true again, what is the same, when the bilge has been empty but full again.

Adding the timestamp to the message window is a good idea. Noted!

In cases 2 and 3 you have to do nothing. the action stops when the condition dissapears (false)

thanks! very useful feedback too.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:15   #343

Boat: Moody 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post

Correction
Just realised that my Windows 10 laptop RDP connection worked fine when laptop connected to home router on wireless and Pi connected to same router by Ethernet.
I cannot get my Windows 10 laptop to connect to the Openplotter WiFi access point.
I CAN get my old Win CE device to connect to the Openplotter WiFi AP and see Openplotter via RDP.
Im trying to work out if its something in my Win10 Firewall thats stopping the connection to OP AP
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:24   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich UK View Post
Hello Sailoog

Thank you for your hard work in building project. I've set up a head less system on my pi, by editing the config.txt file within the boot folder. I'm using VNC Vinagre on Debian.

I've use a Global Sat BU 353S4 GPS, got that working by editing the gpsd config file with:

START_DAEMON="true"
GPSD_OPTIONS="n"
DEVICES="/dev/ttyUSB0"
USBAUTO="false"
GPSD_SOCET="/var/run/gpsd.sock"

save it, then
sudo /etc/init.d/gpsd restart

The 353S4 GPS is plug into the pi, its the only way I can get to work, so its either a power issue with the hub or the device path.

If some one could help me with that ? when 353S4 GPS plug into the hub, the pi can't see it.
As you say, it sounds like the classic fake hub or under powering issue.
Is your hub recognised by raspberry? with the hub not connected type lsusb and see what happens, connect the hub, type lsusb again and see if the hub is there. How many amps are powering your hub and your raspberry.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:41   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidasailor View Post
Sailoog, I was just wondering if you could consider any plans in the future to support a cellular module like the Adafruit Fona (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1963). I use one of these with my Pi to email me upon certain events (like the bilge pump cycling).

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I did some tests with USB GSM modems because I want to implement "send SMS" as an action in the trigger/action system.
what library are you using? being both serial connections should not be a problem supporting USB and UART modules with the same library.

Anyway, pay attention that there is an action called "command" where you can set any linux command to be run by any trigger. Theoretically you could already send a SMS.