Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2016, 03:41   #376

Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
An old kplex config file *should* always work with a newer version, within a major release at least. If it doesn't it's a bug.
OK, thanks!
Old 10-02-2016, 03:57   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
Raspberry now with hardware accelerated opengl:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/ano...pbian-release/

Reason enough for a new release ASAP ??
I have been playing with it for 2 days and as a friend says "Sometimes it's best to let the dust settle before jumping in". Raspberry OGL driver is still in beta and there are problems with non standard size monitors.
Give them time to fix things, update opencpn repositories and meanwhile I will add new features. I will release a new OpenPlotter RPI version ASAP with OGL drivers installed but no activated by default because even without OGL, opencpn is really faster (4.0 and 4.2).
Old 10-02-2016, 04:02   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Seen this?
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/ano...omment-1252952

What a difference in opencpn having hardware openGL working, fantastic! Before it was sluggish but workable, now it's a real contender.

One thing, mine was having trouble with the voltage getting a bit low, I had to turn up the variable dc/dc power supply a little bit to get up to 5v on the 5v gpio pin, otherwise the display was unstable.

Edit - petter got in before me
I haven't been able to stabilize my HDMI monitor. I have little black flashings but I am feeding with enough amps. What variable are you talking about?

edit: ah sorry you are talking about a variable power supply. Do you know how many amps and volts are you providing? I am providing 3 amp and should be enough.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:03   #379

deleted (repeated)
Old 10-02-2016, 04:41   #380
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
I haven't been able to stabilize my HDMI monitor. I have little black flashings but I am feeding with enough amps. What variable are you talking about?

edit: ah sorry you are talking about a variable power supply. Do you know how many amps and volts are you providing? I am providing 3 amp and should be enough.
I using one of these-
DC-DC Converter LTC3780 Automatic Step UP/Down lifting Constant Voltage module | eBay

With various USB devices plugged into the hub it's pulling about 0.9A @ 5V, the hdmi - VGA adapter takes about 100mA of that.
The voltage at the supply is 5.3v with everything off, drops to about 5.25v turned on then this drops to around 5v between the gnd & 5V gpio pins on the Pi.
Tip - if there is a little rainbow square on the screen top right, this means the voltage is getting a bit low. Tweaking to get around 5v on the 5v gpio pin seems to work well.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:47   #381
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
Didnt seem to work for me ...
Having downloaded the driver and set OpenGL in OCPN I just got a black screen instead of charts
Being a novice Pi'er Im happy to step back from the bleeding edge and not use OGL as performance without it was satisfactory anyway.
Have you tried glxgears?
In a terminal (in the accessories menu), just type in glxgears and press enter. If opengl is working OK you should get a little animation of 3 gears running, in the terminal wind it should be showing just under 50FPS.
If opengl isn't running then the gears will be jerky with odd colours.
If it says "glxgears not found" or something like that then in the terminal type in..
sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
and hit return. This will install the little test program.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:34   #382

Boat: Moody 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Have you tried glxgears?
In a terminal (in the accessories menu), just type in glxgears and press enter. If opengl is working OK you should get a little animation of 3 gears running, in the terminal wind it should be showing just under 50FPS.
If opengl isn't running then the gears will be jerky with odd colours.
If it says "glxgears not found" or something like that then in the terminal type in..
sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
and hit return. This will install the little test program.
conachair - thanks
I'll give it a try tonight but I think I may have a problem because I have forced SVGA mode in my config.txt and maybee this constitutes a "non-standard screen" ?
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:00   #383

Quote:
Yeah!

Have you tested with ppp0 too?
No, i did not, because i like the way the Huawei works as eth1 without asking for a pin. As i use it headless, i would get trouble if something goes wrong when im underway. But if it helps you, i can try it.

Quote:
I will fix this on next release.

What you are asking about sharing by eth0 would be easy to program but difficult to coexist with the current mode. I am afraid it is too much work to such specific case.
Well, i just thougt it would be cool to have wired AND wireless network on tthe boat. But this seems to be more a Linux Thing than a openplotter thing, so may be i find a solution for me, with iptables or so (already read some things, but got very limited Linux skills...)

By the way: the solution for non-starting OpenCPN was buying a new raspy. I had a old Version 1B, didnt know that it is outdated. I got it from a friend, saying "new", meaning (for years) unused...

Quote:
There is no better place for valentines gift than Barcelona. It's a city ready for tourism but this has a price... probably you will not find any local There are 3 days holidays here and we go out so that wine must wait Thanks!!!
Yeah, the idea was to buy tickets now and come little later. But i had just a very small time slot end of march, which just closed whilst considering...

We will do this later. During boating season there is no time for me, as im running a small boating company. And always before and after season we try to make a trip with our private boat, so the time for trips by aircraft is restricted of November to March...

A friend of me managed to stay on a Yacht instead of a Hotel when he was in Barcelona!
McElch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:19   #384

Quote:
Originally Posted by McElch View Post
No, i did not, because i like the way the Huawei works as eth1 without asking for a pin. As i use it headless, i would get trouble if something goes wrong when im underway. But if it helps you, i can try it.
Yes please, do it if you can. If it works I will include it too on the next release.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:58   #385

Well, i tried. But, suprisingly, this time the Rasperry showed other behavior. Last time, if i remember right, the ZTE Stick was recognized as Modem without my interaction and a device ppp0 was established.

I read some things about changing a device code, but in my case that was done automaticely. Other than the Huawei Stick, i had to input a PIN, and then the internet connection was established with that interface ppp0.

This time, regarding to the dmesg output, the ZTE was recognized as a modem too, but no ppp device was established.

Anyway, when i connect via RDP, in the upper right corner, in the network section, a mobile broadband modem is shown.

This modem is not connected. Klicking the "Establish new Connection" brings up a dialog, where to put in the Country and the Provider.

When finishing this dialog, no question for a pin, but instaed a error, sying something like "(32) not authorized ... (for changing Network Settings).

I have no idea, what i did last time, that it worked without hassel!?

But without a ppp device, i cant test if sharing the device would work,

Thats what is Little frustrating with Linux: Things Change without interaction, and when you tink you got it, something new goes wrong...
McElch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:51   #386

Boat: Laguna 33
OpenPlotter project

Another project to think about is a live or emulated openplotter signalk and nmea feed for use by other developers in testing their apps. Particularly this could help in encouraging support of some of the instrument data we have that is not yet common on "legacy" boats.

Signalk.org hosts such feeds. Maybe an openplotter boat could be among their demos.
Saqqara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:11   #387

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqqara View Post
Another project to think about is a live or emulated openplotter signalk and nmea feed for use by other developers in testing their apps. Particularly this could help in encouraging support of some of the instrument data we have that is not yet common on "legacy" boats.

Signalk.org hosts such feeds. Maybe an openplotter boat could be among their demos.

For NMEA I use https://github.com/transmitterdan/VDRplayer

This Python tool can handle UDP and TCP/IP clients. It can run in a Windows machine in a never ending loop and be always available for testing. It uses the standard file format that other NMEA recording programs use.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:07   #388

Do you want to update OpenCPN to 4.2 in OpenPlotter v0.6.0?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2043505
Old 12-02-2016, 02:51   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqqara View Post

That makes sense. There are the sensors below that generate data difficult to convert into standard NMEA 0183:

Heel
Pressure
Temperature (air, engine...)
humidity

And there will be many others. Exists a wildcard NMEA sentence for these cases, XDR. You can build this sentence using variables as you want because is intended to share data between devices from the same brand who know the rules. This is the way that OpenPlotter uses to share data internally and you are right, I should publish these XDR rules to make possible for other apps to understand.

SignalK project wants to do this, create a common language, but openplotter will generate data that is not supported yet by signalk and I don't know if it will do. We will keep NMEA 0183 for a while and we will implement signalk gradually.

Besides of publishing OpenPlotter NMEA rules I will try to do what you suggested, maybe using the raspberry that now is working as 7/24 torrent server could play and broadcast a NMEA file. But I would need a fixed IP, isn't it?
Old 12-02-2016, 04:54   #390

Boat: Verl 27

Hi,

I have now added a DS18B20 and BMP180 sensor to openplotter and activated both sensor.

Now they give both the same NMEA message with OPXDR.

$OPXDR,C,17.4,C,ENGT*55
$OPXDR,P,1.0004,B,AIRP,C,17.1,C,AIRT*45

Is it possible to change one of the the to to an other message, for example --XDR for the DS18B20?
Swokey is offline   Reply With Quote