Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 02:51   #61

Boat: Nauticat 32
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
...mega-super-major release because there are lots of code changes, new features and new Raspbian core adaptation (Jessie).
OK, then I will just sit tight and await that release :-)

If I could add a couple of requests - maybe you already has this covered, but the configuration files for OpenPlotter, OpenCPN and zyGrib should be somewhat easy accessible and documented, to ease migrating when upgrading..

The other thing I would like is configurable SSID - I'd like it to be the boats name, and now I have to hack it in the wifi script...
Arne Henriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:00   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Henriksen View Post

If I could add a couple of requests - maybe you already has this covered, but the configuration files for OpenPlotter, OpenCPN and zyGrib should be somewhat easy accessible and documented, to ease migrating when upgrading..
Good point. Maybe a button to export and save opencpn.conf, zygrib.conf, openplotter.conf and kplex.conf. The problem is that by the moment openplotter.conf is suffering major changes too

Quote:
The other thing I would like is configurable SSID - I'd like it to be the boats name, and now I have to hack it in the wifi script...
Done!

That was suggested by a user who had four "OpenPlotter" AP in his port
Old 05-11-2015, 10:20   #63
Marine Service Provider

According to the reply above, the Emlid Navio+ HAT board has support for the onboard IMU/baro sensor out of the box with openplotter. No soldering is required.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:32   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
According to the reply above, the Emlid Navio+ HAT board has support for the onboard IMU/baro sensor out of the box with openplotter. No soldering is required.
Ops! sorry, you are right.
This one should work as well https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/sense-hat/

Never tested but both should work because they have compatible i2c chips.

The problem with magnetometers on HATs is that they are affected by magnetic fields of your electronics (raspberry included) and it is difficult to calibrate it attached to the Pi, so better as far as possible.
Old 05-11-2015, 17:03   #65
Marine Service Provider

Well, in a development cyclus, there is always several problems, bu I think the Navio+ open up a lot of possibilities that is overwhelming the possible problems. The Navio+ seems extremely well engineered and seems to be developed by a very capable team so it might be reasonable reasons for exploring the navio+ futher.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:44   #66

Boat: Laguna 33

Don't be intimidated by soldering a header on an IMU. I am terrible at soldering wires, but I went out and bought some new solder (very thin solder, compared with what I had in the drawer), and even with my old eyes it really was a two minute job. Heat the pin and the pad on the circuit board with the tip of the iron for a few seconds and then apply the solder to the pin. Perfect volcano shape on each pin.
Saqqara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 15:03   #67

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqqara View Post
Don't be intimidated by soldering a header on an IMU. I am terrible at soldering wires, but I went out and bought some new solder (very thin solder, compared with what I had in the drawer), and even with my old eyes it really was a two minute job. ....
Thanks for the encouragement - I might actually try that :-)
Arne Henriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 15:35   #68

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement - I might actually try that :-)
Search out KAINA solder on Ebay. Its good quality lead/tin solder. Even a monkey could make a good joint with it. Look for 1mm or less diameter! 0.6mm is my preferred for electrics work.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:19   #69

Soldering is easy... and funny

http://mightyohm.com/files/soldercom...erComic_EN.pdf
Old 10-11-2015, 14:18   #70

Boat: Dufour 43

Sailoog,

I need a little help here. Bought a Raspberry Pi 2 and added their new 7" touch screen. Purchased a DVB-T DAB FM,RTL2832U & R820T Tuner and downloaded OpenPlotter v0.5.0 from your site and loaded on the Pi2.

While I wait on the GPS and USB/serial adapter, I thought I would run the RTL and get that running and checked out.

So the Openplotter runs and no errors and I can run OpenCPN on the Pi2. So far, so good. I get the RTL calibrated per your instructions. I even see the cell tower channels to calibrate.

When I go to the NMEA 0183 tab to show output and check operation...I get the following "Failed to connect to localhost:10110 Error code: Timed out" On the bottom of the NMEA 0183 window.

Then a few seconds later it switches to "No Data, trying to reconnect..."

I have not changed any default Localhost settings and the box is checked.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Scott
sailsunfurled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:04   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailsunfurled View Post
Sailoog,

I need a little help here. Bought a Raspberry Pi 2 and added their new 7" touch screen. Purchased a DVB-T DAB FM,RTL2832U & R820T Tuner and downloaded OpenPlotter v0.5.0 from your site and loaded on the Pi2.

While I wait on the GPS and USB/serial adapter, I thought I would run the RTL and get that running and checked out.

So the Openplotter runs and no errors and I can run OpenCPN on the Pi2. So far, so good. I get the RTL calibrated per your instructions. I even see the cell tower channels to calibrate.

When I go to the NMEA 0183 tab to show output and check operation...I get the following "Failed to connect to localhost:10110 Error code: Timed out" On the bottom of the NMEA 0183 window.

Then a few seconds later it switches to "No Data, trying to reconnect..."

I have not changed any default Localhost settings and the box is checked.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Scott
"Error code: Timed out" means that all is working ok (multiplexer) but you are not getting data from your only source of data at the moment, the SDR, so there is nothing to multiplexing

What antenna are you using? do you have possible targets around?

Fill in the gain and ppm fields with your calibration data and clic "take a look" button. Can you see any mark like this:

Old 11-11-2015, 21:38   #72

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Do you have any plans to include a WinLink client?

Like:

paclink-unix download | SourceForge.net

or eventually:

https://github.com/LA5NTA/wl2k-go

How about something like Stellarium ?

Cheers,
Jm.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:02   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Do you have any plans to include a WinLink client?

Like:

paclink-unix download | SourceForge.net

or eventually:

https://github.com/LA5NTA/wl2k-go

How about something like Stellarium ?

Cheers,
Jm.
Stellarium doesn't work due to openGL issues.

I have not experience with winlink on raspbian or ARM platforms. Has anyone tested it with pactor or sound card?
Old 13-11-2015, 14:41   #74

Boat: Dufour 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
"Error code: Timed out" means that all is working ok (multiplexer) but you are not getting data from your only source of data at the moment, the SDR, so there is nothing to multiplexing

What antenna are you using? do you have possible targets around?

Fill in the gain and ppm fields with your calibration data and clic "take a look" button. Can you see any mark like this:

Saillog,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I set everything per your set up. No I did not see any of the data bursts. I am using a VHF base station antenna 21' about ground tuned to 162Mhz. I have swept the feed line and antenna, so all is good there.

I know we have a few aids to navigation that transmit AIS in the area and Ship traffic intermittently.

How can I tune the receiver inside your program to try a different VHF frequency that I know is transmitting? For troubleshooting?

Thanks,

Scott
sailsunfurled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 02:43   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailsunfurled View Post
Saillog,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I set everything per your set up. No I did not see any of the data bursts. I am using a VHF base station antenna 21' about ground tuned to 162Mhz. I have swept the feed line and antenna, so all is good there.

I know we have a few aids to navigation that transmit AIS in the area and Ship traffic intermittently.

How can I tune the receiver inside your program to try a different VHF frequency that I know is transmitting? For troubleshooting?

Thanks,

Scott
Sorry for delay in answering, really busy coding...

So, antenna is ok and you should have targets... Do you have the dongle plugged to the raspberry? you will need an auto-powered usb hub because rtl-sdr draws more power than your raspberry can serve.

If this doesn't work, open a terminal window and type:

cd
cd .config/openplotter
python openplotter.py

this will open openplotter in debug mode and you can see what is going on when you enable AIS reception. Fill in your calibration values and let me know what openplotter says.