Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-07-2016, 11:47   #856

Boat: none yet
Re: OpenPlotter project

How do I check the values in the AIS configuration file, the values enter when configuring the AIS dongle. Can I open a file from the CL to view the theses values.

Thanks
Rich UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 03:22   #857

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Those interested in the origins and futures of the openplotter project, or just curious to know where the word "sailoog" comes from may be interested in this interview with Sailoog:
Water and Electrickery: OpenPlotter
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:00   #858

Hi guys,

Thank you all for the work done to date. This is really incredible!

Two questions for you:
- I have a Davis anemometer (Vantage Pro 2 6410)
What's the best way to connect this sensor? USB-Can? 2k? 1.8?

- What would you recommend for a depth sensor?

I don't have any legacy systems or sensors in the boat, everything will be based on Openplotter / Pi 3.

Thanks!

Clint
Clintnelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:05   #859

One edit to my post above. Will a USB to TTL cable do the job connecting the anemometer to the Openplotter?
Clintnelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 13:32   #860

Boat: Laguna 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintnelsen View Post
- I have a Davis anemometer (Vantage Pro 2 6410)
What's the best way to connect this sensor? USB-Can? 2k? 1.8?
I believe that instrument will need outside code on an arduino or something to translate the pattern of pulses to NMEA 0183.

https://mechinations.net/2014/12/27/...nd-instrument/
https://www.42.co.nz/freeboard/
www.holdentechnology.com
Saqqara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:24   #861

I'm just back from a week on our Corfu boat. We have ST60-series instruments and an ST2900 (?) series autopilot (only had one brief look at the model number).

I had one brief chance to try to connect one of the two Nmea outputs from the autopilot to the official USB 422 serial dongle but couldn't find a clear instruction of what terminals to connect (I guess NMEA '+' output to R+ on the dongle - and '-' to R- -> does that sound correct?)

I was using a very-long lead to connect the two as I just wanted to test it before committing to a prolonged spell under the cockpit/steering gear / transom in 35+ degrees heat with no ventilation!

Didn't manage to get anything through on the Inspector - but there was so much guesswork in the setup (and the dodgily-long cable).

Can someone point me at some physical and config setup details of how to get the USB dongle to receive nmea? I can only test this on the rare occasions we get out to the boat, so would like to go prepared.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Re Seatalk1 from st60 tridata & wind + st4000 series wheelpilot TO /FROM nmea0183 another very good alternative is gadgetpoole.de Tiny Seatalk Link offered w galvanic isolation, usb or RS232 and does bidirectional and has programming to adjust operation and sentences. Very good manual too.
Mwad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:55   #862

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
That's a pity. So we are on the same with CANBOAT on bare bones.

Or to implement the OCPN SK ServerClient plug-in. Which will deliver just NMEA0183 into/out off OCPN.
Running circles..

Hubert
There is experimental support in sk node server for conversion to N0183 and N2K. The best way forward with this would be with real world cases: come up with some conversions that you would like to happen, especially with some real input data examples, like canboat n2k captures.

Please follow up at https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-server-node/issues/94

PS: Since Open Plotter is a combination of components a good way to advance things is to try to figure out which component needs changes and bring the issue to the attention of its authors. I for one read this forum very rarely.
teppokurki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:50   #863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwad7 View Post
I'm just back from a week on our Corfu boat. We have ST60-series instruments and an ST2900 (?) series autopilot (only had one brief look at the model number).

I had one brief chance to try to connect one of the two Nmea outputs from the autopilot to the official USB 422 serial dongle but couldn't find a clear instruction of what terminals to connect (I guess NMEA '+' output to R+ on the dongle - and '-' to R- -> does that sound correct?)

I was using a very-long lead to connect the two as I just wanted to test it before committing to a prolonged spell under the cockpit/steering gear / transom in 35+ degrees heat with no ventilation!

Didn't manage to get anything through on the Inspector - but there was so much guesswork in the setup (and the dodgily-long cable).

Can someone point me at some physical and config setup details of how to get the USB dongle to receive nmea? I can only test this on the rare occasions we get out to the boat, so would like to go prepared.

Thanks!
You should connect as you said but there are some devices that are not following the same conception when labelling connections and you have to reverse polarity connecting NMEA + output to R- on the dongle and NMEA - output to R+ on the dongle. No danger reversing polarity. If this is your case you should see the green led in a weird "dimming" state, reverse polarity and you should see the green led fully flashing when data are flowing right.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:55   #864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqqara View Post
I believe that instrument will need outside code on an arduino or something to translate the pattern of pulses to NMEA 0183.

https://mechinations.net/2014/12/27/...nd-instrument/
https://www.42.co.nz/freeboard/
www.holdentechnology.com
We have plans to add pulses sensors to OpenPlotter to get signal k data.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:01   #865

Quote:
Originally Posted by teppokurki View Post
There is experimental support in sk node server for conversion to N0183 and N2K. The best way forward with this would be with real world cases: come up with some conversions that you would like to happen, especially with some real input data examples, like canboat n2k captures.

Please follow up at https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-s...node/issues/94
That experimental support sounds great and should be enough for most cases. For special cases we are implementing on OpenPlotter v0.9.0 a custom NMEA 0183 builder from Signal k data to match any required sentence configuration including XDR sentences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teppokurki View Post
PS: Since Open Plotter is a combination of components a good way to advance things is to try to figure out which component needs changes and bring the issue to the attention of its authors. I for one read this forum very rarely.
Agree.
Old 13-08-2016, 01:54   #866

Quote:
You should connect as you said but there are some devices that are not following the same conception when labelling connections and you have to reverse polarity connecting NMEA + output to R- on the dongle and NMEA - output to R+ on the dongle. No danger reversing polarity. If this is your case you should see the green led in a weird "dimming" state, reverse polarity and you should see the green led fully flashing when data are flowing right.
Thanks!

One other thing just sprung to mind - I have giro and magnetometer sensors installed on the Pi and have calibrated them fine. It might be staring me in the face, but how do you provide an offset so that the boat vector points in the same direction as the boat? I have very-limited scope to physically align the Pi so that it thinks we're pointing in the direction we actually are!
Mwad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 11:57   #867

Boat: IslandPacket Packet Cat 35

I am getting a segmentation fault when I launch openCPN from the terminal on 0.60, 0.7.1beta and 0.80
Seems to be working fine on 0.50.
Same problem on RasberryPi 2 and 2+
ramalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 04:17   #868

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwad7 View Post
Thanks!

One other thing just sprung to mind - I have giro and magnetometer sensors installed on the Pi and have calibrated them fine. It might be staring me in the face, but how do you provide an offset so that the boat vector points in the same direction as the boat? I have very-limited scope to physically align the Pi so that it thinks we're pointing in the direction we actually are!
There is not offset option in v0.8.0 but there will be in v0.9.0.
Old 16-08-2016, 04:25   #869

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramalkin View Post
I am getting a segmentation fault when I launch openCPN from the terminal on 0.60, 0.7.1beta and 0.80
Seems to be working fine on 0.50.
Same problem on RasberryPi 2 and 2+
RasberryPi 2 and 2+ do not exist, do you mean RasberryPi 1 and 1+?
I am afraid OP will be no longer compatible with raspberry zero and 1. If we wanted to run opencpn on raspberry zero and 1 we should compile it and it would work but performance is awful.
Old 16-08-2016, 04:47   #870

Boat: IslandPacket Packet Cat 35

I understand. I have got a remote, handheld repeater -- like a color version of the Raymarine T113 -- working with a little 2.8" PiHat resistive touch screen and OpenPlotter. But, I can only get it working with OpenPlotter 5.0. Performance is adequate. I'll continue this project with 5.0. It is not a problem.
ramalkin is offline   Reply With Quote