Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 09:54   #886

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
The openplotter support forum contains my dialogue with kplex author "e-sailing" and may provide more info see
Cant get autopilot data out
small point: e-sailing is obviously very helpful and clearly knows what he or she is doing but reasonably sure the they're not the kplex author (who, whilst a huge fan of the openplotter project and the what sailoog and his associates are enabling, has yet to actually get past the megaupload thing to download and install openplotter...).
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:33   #887
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
.....has yet to actually get past the megaupload thing to download and install openplotter...).
I also was unable to download via megaupload but using the torrent download worked fine.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:51   #888

Boat: Moody 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
small point: e-sailing is obviously very helpful and clearly knows what he or she is doing but reasonably sure the they're not the kplex author (who, whilst a huge fan of the openplotter project and the what sailoog and his associates are enabling, has yet to actually get past the megaupload thing to download and install openplotter...).
Woops
Sorry if Im spreading false information
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:36   #889
Jd1

Affinite, thanks for your help. I just tested the GPS on the boat computer it was connected to before I started experimenting with the pi. It now spits out the same garbage there as it did here. Either I managed to break it somehow or it has been (somehow) put into a different mode where it doesn't spit out NMEA 0183 but other stuff. It is a BU353 and I seem to recall that it has some other mode it can operate in. I will have to figure that out first and maybe things will work .... if not I will go through your setup.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:05   #890
Jd1

A big step forward .... turns out I was in binary mode on the GPS. See BU-353 with Linux OS

Now I can set up the puck under /dev/ttyUSB0 in OpenCPN and get a position fix.
If I set up under OpenPlotter NMEA 0183 and remove the /dev/ttyUSB0 device under OpenCPN I get no fix and no input in the NMEA debugger. Doing a cat /dev/ttyUSB0 on the pi now produces proper NMEA 0183 data so it's just a matter of getting it into OpenCPN.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:49   #891
Jd1

Affinite, thank you VERY much!!! I created /etc/kplex.conf, copied your example across, commented out the bits I did not need, enabled the gps and saved everything. Initially there was no success but when I rebooted the pi, everything fell into place !!
Now I just have to figure out why that works but the original setup didnt
Old 07-10-2016, 13:30   #892
Jd1

I commented out all of the kplex.conf file .... but everything is still working. Go figure ....
No idea if there are hidden configurations, if kplex.conf writes it 's data someplace and he data needs to be specifically undone or if there is a bug in OpenPlotter. For now everything works and I will start adding additional data feeds.
Old 07-10-2016, 17:16   #893
Jd1

For reasons unknown, my pi now asks for a username and password. This was not set up anywhere and just started by itself <shrug>

Did a google search but was unable to come up with the default user and password. I am pretty sure that the user is openplotter and I thought the password was 123456789 but no dice.
Can someone help me out with the default username and password please ?
Thanks!
Old 07-10-2016, 23:24   #894
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Try..
User - pi
Password - raspberry

Also, an SD card reader is really useful as you can back up the entire operating system onto a different card. There's a menu option in accessories.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 23:51   #895
Jd1

Two more questions:
I am starting to play with 1-wire under OpenPlotter. When I activate the 1-wire interface on the pi, my VNC connection no longer works. Mostly I get a 'connection refused by host computer' error. If I disable 1-wire and leave everything else the same then VNC works again.

1-wire is so much more than just temperature. Are other 1-wire capabilities on the drawing board for inclusion in OpenPlotter ?
Old 15-11-2016, 12:43   #896

Boat: Maxi 999

Hi,

A question re i2c (1wire) support in Openplotter: I'd like to implement plotting of i2c temperature data (using this: RaspberryPI Multiple DS1820 - Webshed) and am wondering if there is anything in particular to keep in mind when trying to get this to work on a PI3 running OP?
I have already gotten it to work on a stand-alone PI with Raspbian, so I know how it is supposed to work.

Cheers,

Otto
ottow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 02:18   #897
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottow View Post
Hi,

A question re i2c (1wire) support in Openplotter: I'd like to implement plotting of i2c temperature data (using this: RaspberryPI Multiple DS1820 - Webshed) and am wondering if there is anything in particular to keep in mind when trying to get this to work on a PI3 running OP?
I have already gotten it to work on a stand-alone PI with Raspbian, so I know how it is supposed to work.

Cheers,

Otto
It's easy, openplotter has a tab to set it up.
Old 16-11-2016, 03:25   #898

Boat: Maxi 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
It's easy, openplotter has a tab to set it up.
Ok, but... As I recall Openplotter have a limited number of i2c sensors, and threshold alerting on them. No graphing.
Setting up the graphing solution I refer to above will mean reading i2c data parallel in with Openplotter, and I am concerned it may collide/cause issues. Hence my question.
ottow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 03:41   #899
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottow View Post
Ok, but... As I recall Openplotter have a limited number of i2c sensors, and threshold alerting on them. No graphing.
Setting up the graphing solution I refer to above will mean reading i2c data parallel in with Openplotter, and I am concerned it may collide/cause issues. Hence my question.
Haven't heard of any limitations on i2c sensors, I have 3 on the go so far. You can set up an action in openplotter to pass the data onto a separate bash or python or whatever script so only openplotter is talking to the ds18 sensors.
I use a little bash script to save all the nmea data to some rddtools databases the a php web page to look at it..

Old 16-11-2016, 04:47   #900

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
I use a little bash script to save all the nmea data to some rddtools databases the a php web page to look at it..
Thanks for the tip I must go and research rddtools.

Would you care to elaborate on how you are doing this and perhaps share some scripts please?
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote