Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 25-11-2016, 09:27   #916
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Anyway, I got to learn to walk before I can run so I would like to understand how to use GPIO pins to switch relays.
Just a quick follow-up - after a lot of futzing around, I have finally managed to figure out how to set things up for the 'switches', 'Actions' and 'output' tabs under OpenPlotter. Once figured out, it all makes sense.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 09:36   #917
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by addboy View Post
I'm trying to get my GPS to work. Working on adding a conection for it. But what "address" do I but in?
thx
D
The following works if you have a GPS puck connected to a pi USB port and nothing much else connected:

Un
der OpenPlotter, NMEA 0183 tab, under inputs, set up a serial type, port address of /dev/tty/USB0, 4800 baud

Leave the default system input and system output settings (can't be deleted anyway)

Under OpenCPN, connections tab set up a 'Network' connection, DataPort is 10110, Address is the IP number of the device that has the GPS puck, TCP

Hope that helps ....
Old 28-11-2016, 03:10   #918

Boat: Steel 9.8 x 2.55 x 0.7

Be aware, if if you connect to an TCP Port, then ONLY one device/app is able to connect.

This Device ist normaly OpenCPN, so this Port is maked as used.

If you want to connect from other Host,Pads,etc. to get the Stream of NMEA Data, all you have to setup an UDP Port, maybe also on the same number (10110). UDP Ports can be connected from more Host simulaneously, all on the same Network, as UDP is not easy routeable. (still waiting for 0.9 in the wild)
hwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 03:19   #919
Marine Service Provider

One of the main concepts of openplotter is that any sensors is ONLY connected to the input at openplotter, and then to use the sensor data, you connect to openplotter <IP ADDRESS><Port 10110> This way, unlimited number of devices can use the same data. You does not have to manually set up the out port port on openplotter, it's already there as default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwater View Post
Be aware, if if you connect to an TCP Port, then ONLY one device/app is able to connect.

This Device ist normaly OpenCPN, so this Port is marked as used.

If you want to connect from other Host,Pads,etc. to get the Stream of NMEA Data, all you have to setup an UDP Port, maybe also on the same number (10110). UDP Ports can be connected from more Host simulaneously, all on the same Network, as UDP is not easy routeable. (still waiting for 0.9 in the wild)
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:36   #920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Currawong View Post
Hi Sailoog,

Thanks for the list of commands, I tried them but don't help.

I think the issue was it was picking up a different version somewhere, so I deleted everything starting with RT* & IMU* from under /usr and reran the steps again and it worked.

There seemed to different versions of Python which all had a copy.

In that process I did spot a typo in ../RTIMULib2/RTIMULib/RTIMUSettings.cpp
I had not changed the detected comment to the correct device (I.e. 9255 , if found).

I have updated my GitHub copy.

Onto making getting the output to/from my chart plotter.

Thanks again.
Hey Nick i Have the 9255 detected from your git but it seems very unstable what am i missing?
dmdelorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:31   #921

Boat: Dufour 43

Has any one tried 'ngrok' to remotely connect to OpenPlotter or the data from Openplotter?

My goal is to have the RPi running Openplotter on the boat and remotely monitor via the web.

Thoughts?
sailsunfurled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:32   #922
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailsunfurled View Post
Has any one tried 'ngrok' to remotely connect to OpenPlotter or the data from Openplotter?

My goal is to have the RPi running Openplotter on the boat and remotely monitor via the web.

Thoughts?
Haven't tried mgrok but openplotter has mqtt built in, works both ways, you can talk to openplotter via mqtt 9ver the web or monitor any nmea, probably any signalk with the imminent V0. 9.
You can also send tweets or emails, either timed or triggered. Or instance, if your wind instruments are connected to openplotter then you can set it to email or tweet if the wind gets above a certain speed.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:09   #923
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
if your wind instruments are connected to openplotter then you can set it to email or tweet if the wind gets above a certain speed.
Is there any way to email to a non Gmail account ?
Old 03-12-2016, 12:40   #924
cruiser

Quote:
Is there any way to email to a non Gmail account ?
Looks like it's just one Gmail qddress, and it's recommended to create an email just for openplotter as the password isn't secure in the file. But you could still create a Gmail account and set it up to auto forward to any email address you want.
Old 03-12-2016, 13:59   #925
Jd1

Quote:
Looks like it's just one Gmail qddress, and it's recommended to create an email just for openplotter as the password isn't secure in the file. But you could still create a Gmail account and set it up to auto forward to any email address you want.
Thanks !
Old 03-12-2016, 17:05   #926
Jd1

Suppose I wanted to write a string of text/data that I would like to have the pi multiplex together with all the other NMEA 0183 data. how do I get it included in the NMEA data stream? Where do I write it to so that the pi picks it up and includes it ?
Old 03-12-2016, 23:09   #927
cruiser

Quote:
Suppose I wanted to write a string of text/data that I would like to have the pi multiplex together with all the other NMEA 0183 data. how do I get it included in the NMEA data stream? Where do I write it to so that the pi picks it up and includes it ?
Will the string be over wifi or serial?
Openplotter V0.9 might be able to do that when it's released.

Or failing that, in the latest raspian releases there's program called node-red. Very powerful, in a terminal just type "node-red" and open a web page with the address given for a look. Basically, it's a sort of visual programming tool. For example, yesterday I linked up an arduino which is my fridge thermostat to openplotter and sends temperature data down serial, with node-red it was easy to read this data, split the different sentences out and strip to just the numbers which are sent to a dashboard. So shouldn't be too difficult to take any feed, get at the data you want and turn it into a nmea sentence which will get sent to openplotter.
Not sure how to get the data into openplotter but can't be that hard, I might have a play later it it keeps raining , I'll post how I get on.
Old 03-12-2016, 23:35   #928
Jd1

Quote:
Will the string be over wifi or serial?
Openplotter V0.9 might be able to do that when it's released.

Or failing that, in the latest raspian releases there's program called node-red. Very powerful, in a terminal just type "node-red" and open a web page with the address given for a look. Basically, it's a sort of visual programming tool. For example, yesterday I linked up an arduino which is my fridge thermostat to openplotter and sends temperature data down serial, with node-red it was easy to read this data, split the different sentences out and strip to just the numbers which are sent to a dashboard. So shouldn't be too difficult to take any feed, get at the data you want and turn it into a nmea sentence which will get sent to openplotter.
Not sure how to get the data into openplotter but can't be that hard, I might have a play later it it keeps raining , I'll post how I get on.
Well at this point I wasn't thinking either wifi or serial. Suppose I had 4 buttons on my pi screen, one button sends 'increase course by one degree',one button decreases the course by one degree and two more to do the same just in ten degree increments.
So, I press the button to head up 10 degrees .... the button handler should send an appropriate NMEA 0183 string to the pi so that the pi can multiplex it and send it on to the chart plotter. The chart plotter is a C80 which has an autopilot unit on it's Seatalk bus. I do not know yet if the C80 does the course change, if the autopilot unit does the course change or if the black box of the system does the course change but I am hoping that the command reaches whichever device that needs to act on the command just as if you hit the course up/down buttons on the autopilot unit.
So to answer the question, I have generated the NMEA 0183 sentence and need to write it someplace where the pi picks it up and multiplexes it together with all the other NMEA 0183 stuff ..... hopefully that makes sense ....
Old 04-12-2016, 00:26   #929
cruiser

Quote:
Well at this point I wasn't thinking either wifi or serial. Suppose I had 4 buttons on my pi screen, one button sends 'increase course by one degree',one button decreases the course by one degree and two more to do the same just in ten degree increments.
So, I press the button to head up 10 degrees .... the button handler should send an appropriate NMEA 0183 string to the pi so that the pi can multiplex it and send it on to the chart plotter. The chart plotter is a C80 which has an autopilot unit on it's Seatalk bus. I do not know yet if the C80 does the course change, if the autopilot unit does the course change or if the black box of the system does the course change but I am hoping that the command reaches whichever device that needs to act on the command just as if you hit the course up/down buttons on the autopilot unit.
So to answer the question, I have generated the NMEA 0183 sentence and need to write it someplace where the pi picks it up and multiplexes it together with all the other NMEA 0183 stuff ..... hopefully that makes sense ....
Should be possible, the C80 side really no idea about I'm afraid. Seatalk is a nut yet to crack... But for nmea from a button - node red should be able to do that. I control the fuel pump between m y main tank and day tank from a pi gpio pin triggered from a button on a web page on the pi to run for 5 minutes, should be easy to make a nmea sentence and calculate the checksum and save it as a variable inside node red as well.
One issue, Firefox is a resource hog which can grind things to a halt even on a pi 3 so I'm on the lookout for a ultra slim web browser. Everything in node red is done on a web page.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:16   #930
Jd1

Quote:
Should be possible, the C80 side really no idea about I'm afraid. Seatalk is a nut yet to crack... But for nmea from a button - node red should be able to do that. I control the fuel pump between m y main tank and day tank from a pi gpio pin triggered from a button on a web page on the pi to run for 5 minutes, should be easy to make a nmea sentence and calculate the checksum and save it as a variable inside node red as well.
One issue, Firefox is a resource hog which can grind things to a halt even on a pi 3 so I'm on the lookout for a ultra slim web browser. Everything in node red is done on a web page.
Forget (for now) about node-red and Firefox. Assume I have the NMEA 0183 sentence built in a python script on the pi, it's ready to go .... all I want to do is get it inserted/multiplexed into the data stream that gets sent from the pi to the C80. Where do I send the sentence ?