Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 30-04-2017, 08:40   #1006

OpenPlotter with Sens HAT, any thougts?

Hi Linux lovers,

I ordered my first Raspberry (Pi 3) and Sense HAT to add to my onboard network, I'll be testing OpenPlotter very soon. I expect no difficulties connecting the latest (3-series) ShipModul multiplexer via USB.

I would like to see the Sense HAT LED matrix show compass heading while the system compares the current heading against a preset value.
Additionally, I want the LED matrix to display the unused pixels in red blinking when the compass course deviates let's say 20 degrees less/more compared to my preset variable (to define using up/down command with joystick).

A crew member below deck, knowing the planned course, would set the variable, the system would guard the boat's heading and display an alarm state at times when the autopilot or other crew member would change course (or are unable to maintain course). Let's say the autopilot breaks down or the steerman suffers fatigue...
The alarm should be easy to be acknowledged using the joystick middle-click of the Raspberry enclosure.

Other kind of alarms would be thinkable as well:
- wind speed reaching a certain treshold (eg. 30 knots)
- water depth below a certain treshold (eg. 2 meters)
- barometric pressure dropping at an alarming rate (>6mb drop in 3 hours)

I'm lucky to own a Simrad 3G radar, it works fine on OpenCPN (tested on W10 Intel NUC), third-gen Raspberry should be able to cope with the +/-1Mbit datastream, I'll soon know.

Last challenge would be to install the right driver for my 15.6 inch USB 3.0 monitor (asus mb169c+), maybe later an additional 13.3 inch e-ink display for saving power on long trips but these e-readers are very expensive for now.

Any thoughts?
JeroenAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 20:08   #1007

Boat: Dufour 385 Grand Large
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Weatherproof and daylight readable. Seems like the display is the biggest cost, and without economy of scale it makes it more economical to just buy a commercial chartplotter.

So... What I'm hoping is that this OpenPlotter project will encourage someone to source reasonably priced, weatherproof and daylight readable, displays. But that is going to require a certain "critical mass" before they will gain the economy of scale needed.

Here's hoping this works out.
I have used my Kindle K4 (B00E series, 7" screen) as remote monitor, connected to the PC (in the cabin on the charting desk running opencpn) via VNC over WiFi.
Cost: 0 Euro, daylight readable OK, but waterproof. For that i am protecting it with a waterproof case, cost 5 Euro. Here is the result:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1&d=1494816453

Step-by-step procedure:

1) On the Kindle side:

1.1) jailbreak (i.e. root) the Kindle.
Here is howto: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle4NTHacking

1.2) install KUAL (Kindle Unified Application Launcher), the GUI.
Here is howto: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/How...ondary_monitor
Once installed it appears as a e-book in your Kindle list.

1.3) install the vnc client (kindlevncviewer).

2) On the PC side:

2.1) install the vnc server: on my Ubuntu installation (17.04) that is x11vnc: Windows users can use TightVNC (TightVNC: VNC-Compatible Free Remote Control / Remote Desktop Software)

2.2) set-up a wireless network configuring the WiFi NIC as AP (Access Point).
I mean AP, but Ad-Hoc network since Kindle, as well as Android devices, natively do not support Ad-Hoc connections.
Generally modern WiFi cards allow to be configured as AP; however in some old HW that might be not possible. Check that before proceeding.

2.3) Once configured the WiFi card, take note of the WiFI card network (IPv4) address: typically that is 10.0.42.1. Use it for the configuration of the Kindle VNC client, usually port 5900 suites fine (i.e. 10.0.42.1:5900)

2.4) if necessary (why not?) protect the WiFi link with WPA encryption: write down and store the password for subsequent use.

Once the installation and configuration have been completed:

On the PC:

3.1) activate the WiFi in AP mode.

3.2) adjust the screen resolution to fit the Kindle display (which is 800x600), otherwise the Kindle would display just a slide on the PC screen.

3.2) start the x11vnc service ($ x11vnc -display :0) - or equivalent command for TightVNC

I have automatized the above commands with a script.

and on the Kindle:

3.4) connect to the WiFi Hot Spot and insert the WPA encryption password (once it' s enough: the next time Kindle will remember the password)

3.4) start KUAL, select the appropriate VNC connection and enjoy your e-ink display.

No extra HW required.

The remote control is quite limited: you can just pan the screen (with direction button) and zooming in/out with the page forward/back buttons on the Kindle sides.

Don' t forget to de-activate the screen saver and the auto-power standby on the PC and on the Kindle as well.

The Kindle connection to the WiFi Hot-Spot was the most tricky part of the story.
A hindrance is that Kindle - i don't know why - does not connect to the WiFi hot-spot, unless it is bridged to an active internet connection.
As back-door i use my Android phone as data modem (USB or bluetooth) connected to GSM/GPRS/UMTS/LTE (mobile data). Obviously that can be done when close to the coast (5 - 10 nm) where the service is available.
However, according to my testing, the internet connection appears to be necessary just at the connection: then also if it fails, the Kindle remains connected to the WiFi Hot Spot.
I am checking for solutions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0043_resized.jpg
Views:	2339
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	147811  
usodimare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 02:09   #1008

Somebody knows how control brightness of the official rpi 7" LCD in openplotter 11.4??
callmecalanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 12:19   #1009

Hi Sailoog
In your older versions of OP you had a feature where you could graph your barometric pressure and monitor the changes over time. I can not find this function on your newest version, am I missing something? Thx Richard
richarddaneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 16:21   #1010

Boat: C&C 34

Another question of the official 7" touch display.

While using OCPN the pop up windows are too small and cannot be resized. A specific example would be the window for the chart down-loader. It is completely unusable and cannot be resized.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 16:00   #1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecalanca View Post
Somebody knows how control brightness of the official rpi 7" LCD in openplotter 11.4??
Hi callmecalanca,

there is a library available on GitHub:
https://github.com/linusg/rpi-backlight

I have described the installation here:
Das Neptun 22 Forum - Technik, Infos und mehr • Thema anzeigen - Kartenplotter mit Raspberry Pi für 150 EUR

German only, sorry. But the commands and pictures are speaking
for themselve.

Best,
Chris
chrhartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 13:39   #1012

Quote:
Originally Posted by usodimare View Post
I have used my Kindle K4 (B00E series, 7" screen) as remote monitor, connected to the PC (in the cabin on the charting desk running opencpn) via VNC over WiFi.
Cost: 0 Euro, daylight readable OK, but waterproof. For that i am protecting it with a waterproof case, cost 5 Euro. Here is the result:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1&d=1494816453

Step-by-step procedure:

1) On the Kindle side:

1.1) jailbreak (i.e. root) the Kindle.
Here is howto: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle4NTHacking

1.2) install KUAL (Kindle Unified Application Launcher), the GUI.
Here is howto: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/How...ondary_monitor
Once installed it appears as a e-book in your Kindle list.

1.3) install the vnc client (kindlevncviewer).

2) On the PC side:

2.1) install the vnc server: on my Ubuntu installation (17.04) that is x11vnc: Windows users can use TightVNC (TightVNC: VNC-Compatible Free Remote Control / Remote Desktop Software)

2.2) set-up a wireless network configuring the WiFi NIC as AP (Access Point).
I mean AP, but Ad-Hoc network since Kindle, as well as Android devices, natively do not support Ad-Hoc connections.
Generally modern WiFi cards allow to be configured as AP; however in some old HW that might be not possible. Check that before proceeding.

2.3) Once configured the WiFi card, take note of the WiFI card network (IPv4) address: typically that is 10.0.42.1. Use it for the configuration of the Kindle VNC client, usually port 5900 suites fine (i.e. 10.0.42.1:5900)

2.4) if necessary (why not?) protect the WiFi link with WPA encryption: write down and store the password for subsequent use.

Once the installation and configuration have been completed:

On the PC:

3.1) activate the WiFi in AP mode.

3.2) adjust the screen resolution to fit the Kindle display (which is 800x600), otherwise the Kindle would display just a slide on the PC screen.

3.2) start the x11vnc service ($ x11vnc -display :0) - or equivalent command for TightVNC

I have automatized the above commands with a script.

and on the Kindle:

3.4) connect to the WiFi Hot Spot and insert the WPA encryption password (once it' s enough: the next time Kindle will remember the password)

3.4) start KUAL, select the appropriate VNC connection and enjoy your e-ink display.

No extra HW required.

The remote control is quite limited: you can just pan the screen (with direction button) and zooming in/out with the page forward/back buttons on the Kindle sides.

Don' t forget to de-activate the screen saver and the auto-power standby on the PC and on the Kindle as well.

The Kindle connection to the WiFi Hot-Spot was the most tricky part of the story.
A hindrance is that Kindle - i don't know why - does not connect to the WiFi hot-spot, unless it is bridged to an active internet connection.
As back-door i use my Android phone as data modem (USB or bluetooth) connected to GSM/GPRS/UMTS/LTE (mobile data). Obviously that can be done when close to the coast (5 - 10 nm) where the service is available.
However, according to my testing, the internet connection appears to be necessary just at the connection: then also if it fails, the Kindle remains connected to the WiFi Hot Spot.
I am checking for solutions.
Hi, can you explain me how to install kindlevncviewer?
I jailbreacked
I've installed KUAL and USBNetwork
I have created a folder for kindlevncviewer in the root of kindle with the uncompressed files from kindlevncviewer zip file, but nothing happens in the kindle....
I also don't know how to set up launchpad.ini
can you help me?

ps anche in italiano volendo cepicsCHIOCCIOLAhotmailPUNTOcom
Old 18-09-2017, 13:44   #1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrhartz View Post
Hi callmecalanca,

there is a library available on GitHub:

https://github.com/linusg/rpi-backlight

I have described the installation here:

Das Neptun 22 Forum - Technik, Infos und mehr • Thema anzeigen - Kartenplotter mit Raspberry Pi für 150 EUR

German only, sorry. But the commands and pictures are speaking

for themselve.

Best,

Chris

Tnks a lot!!!
Old 28-03-2018, 13:31   #1014

Boat: Chantier duu Port Rézé les Nantes, Mopélia 2000
NMEA connection - Help wanted

I am trying to connect the nmea output of my ST50 repeater via the "USB to RS422/485" item from sailoog's shop.

I connect the NMEA ST50 output "signal" wire to R+, and "ground"wire to R-, then the Green LEDs (REV) starts blinking steadily at circa 1 Hz.

When I connect the item to the RPI USB Hub, the blinking almost disappears, and though declared in the OP tabs (USB Manager and NMEA 0183) nothing appears in the inspector windows, but a time-out exception message !

Any assistance most welcomed !
Didier B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 00:11   #1015

Boat: Moody 44
Re: NMEA connection - Help wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier B View Post
I am trying to connect the nmea output of my ST50 repeater via the "USB to RS422/485" item from sailoog's shop.

I connect the NMEA ST50 output "signal" wire to R+, and "ground"wire to R-, then the Green LEDs (REV) starts blinking steadily at circa 1 Hz.

When I connect the item to the RPI USB Hub, the blinking almost disappears, and though declared in the OP tabs (USB Manager and NMEA 0183) nothing appears in the inspector windows, but a time-out exception message !

Any assistance most welcomed !
Is your ST50 Repeater an ST50+ ? The ST50 doesnt have a Seatalk to NMEA bridge facility ( I had to buy a separate Seatalk to NMEA converter) to get my OpenPlotter setup to work. I also wanted bi-directional data exchange which the ST50+ repeater wont do.
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 13:27   #1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
Is your ST50 Repeater an ST50+ ? The ST50 doesnt have a Seatalk to NMEA bridge facility ( I had to buy a separate Seatalk to NMEA converter) to get my OpenPlotter setup to work. I also wanted bi-directional data exchange which the ST50+ repeater wont do.
No, ST5O has an NMEA output in tridata and/or repeater units.

BTW, what kind of converter do you use ?

Why did you wanted bidirectional ? (guess to have the heading which should allow to make the true wind feature operational ?)
Old 29-03-2018, 13:54   #1017

Boat: Moody 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier B View Post
No, ST5O has an NMEA output in tridata and/or repeater units.

BTW, what kind of converter do you use ?

Why did you wanted bidirectional ? (guess to have the heading which should allow to make the true wind feature operational ?)
Yes, my mistake you are right re the St50 repeater NMEA output.

I wanted bidirectional conversion so I could control the Autopilot from Openplotter (I actually never use that facility) and also to send GPS NMEA data into the Seatalk Bus. That means I can see Distance To Waypoint and Bearing To Waypoint on The ST7000 autopilot controller which is mounted near the helm.

I use a Raymarine Seatalk to NMEA converter type 81166-5. It works OK with a straight USB-Serial cable onto the Pi
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 09:21   #1018

ST50 NMEA SOLVED !

affinite mentioned some time ago RS 232, he was right ! A simple "True" RS232 to USB adapter eventually allowed me to read the ST50 NMEA sentences in the OP's inspector window !

What a releaf after trying half a dozen non efficient gadgets !
Old 05-05-2018, 16:16   #1019

Boat: Marples 37

Hi, newbie here, so sorry if this is a stupid question.

I'm trying to set up my Microtik Groove to provide internet via eth0 to openplotter which will be an ap to my tablet/laptop via the onboard wifi.

I've managed to set this up directly to the win10 laptop by setting a static ip for the Internet Protocol Version 4 TCP/IPv4 as follows:

IP Address: 192.168.88.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.88.1
DNS: 192.168.88.1

I was then able to configure the groove via http://192.168.88.1/webfig/

My question is how do I go about setting this up in openplotter?

Like I said I'm a linux/RPi3 noob so be gentle with me.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Colin.
CGirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 18:48   #1020

Boat: Outremer 50S

Are you using the Pi/Openplotter with a display? In that case it can be handled in the GUI. There should be a network icon in the top right corner of the menu bar. Right-click and then select "edit connections" then set up pretty much the same as you did Win10 (there should be a tab in the settings dialog for "IPV4"). That will allow you to set up the wired interface.

Then run the OpenPlotter App and there is a tab for setting up the wireless AP. https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplot...n/wifi-ap.html

Second easiest is probably to set up your MicroTik to always assign the same address to the Pi (DHCP reservation). If you can't find it in the MircoTik set up easily then Google "MicroTik DHCP Reservation", should be many choices of YouTube/Tutorials to follow.

If you have to do it by command line then it becomes more difficult for a noob, but worth learning, come back here if that's the case
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote