Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2024, 00:50   #16

Boat: Najad 490 1998
Re: Orca Core 2 Experiences?

I have Orca Gen-1 - and I think with time they can be a replacement for chartplotters. But we are not there yet for Cruisers. I have Core's for "backup"

I do love the Core despite its flaws. I do NOT like the Display 2.

Hardware:
The problems: Orca Core (both Gen1 and Gen2) - really old GPS chipset. It is very "sensitive" to receive under cover but it always have less precision than our other chartplotter GPS's that are "multi system". I have also had it jump 30-50m while at anchor - triggering the anchor alarm (That Core is installed outside with full view of sky)

Autopilot - due to difference in implementation and control - it works best with Raymarine. With Simrad/B&G you need to tell the system that the Core is in control - and then your normal plotter is no longer in real control of the AP. Raymarine AP's can have multiple "control" senders without configuration change (which can be an issue in itself)

The Tablet - Display 2
What can I say - it is built on an OEM board meant for an Android Phone. If you have tried Orca on an iPad and go onto the Display 2 - it is like catching the slow train to nowhere.

The Orca Display 2 have USB-C charge connector. But it has big issues charging at high rates from cabled USB-C. You get fastest charging from an USB-A to USB-C pseudo cable from an USB-A Power Delivery enabled charger. If you try same charger with REAL USB-C charge profiles - it will charge at much slower speed. I have the same issue on a Leica (survey) device - with Android OEM board from same OEM who supply Orca.

The Charge Mount can charge faster via "wireless" charging than you can on the USB. But the combi of Charge Mount + Orca is very hard to make look nice. It sticks out 20+mm when "flush" mounted as the release catch is at the back of the charge mount. It just looks wrong next to flush mount displays like B&G Triton2 or Garmin GMI's that stick out only 7-12mm.

There is also a lot of generic Android software the Display 2 wont "install". I had hoped to be able to use the Display 2 for my Leica 3D tools (BLK360) but that won't work. So the Display 2 usability is quite limited in "Android terms". It is probably NOT Orca's fault - but due to software vendors setting "requirement" flags that are not really needed in real life (like rear-facing camera or similar)

Software etc
Charts - all are based on "government" standard charts without "extra's" - so chart quality is really dependent on the local Governments "standard" - in many places that is "problematic" - Navionics/Garmin and CMAP have chart data purchased from "other" suppliers in the problematic regions - which I think is why sometimes Orca's charts are not "great"

Orca is a young company with lots of great ideas. And Orca (CORE) is a great devices with the implementation. But Orca company runs fast - and update devices fast - sometimes too fast - letting bugs slip through.

Some features are also "1/2 implemented" like "remote" viewing of boat status. Yes you CAN see your boat data remote - but there is not a "monitoring" screen for watching boat remote. So if you want to see device status like windspeed or water temperature - you have to dig into N2k "data" screen or start "navigation" mode to get data displays. So it lacks a "remote" monitor screen.

But if you use it for Anchor watch with a mobile internet router on the boat - I think you will do great sipping Piña colada's on the beach without worry.

Support - if you need simple support - Orca is great. If you say critical things about their devices they do get offended and stops answering (it seems). But they are a growing company - so I know the pains that can come from that.

Would I buy it again?

Yes - I would buy Orca Core for any boat I sail/own. It is peace of mind having a backup. And it is very user friendly so the family is instructed in how to use it to plan a safe route to nearest harbour in case something happens to me. Both B&G and Raymarine are CRAP at "auto-route" user friendliness - so Orca (or Garmin) are the best for "noob" users. But, at least for now, I will always have another "plotter" with other charts on board.

On our "new to us" project boat - a Najad 490 - it is wired into our "sensor only" N2k network which can be set to always "on" powered by a separate battery. That network has all main sensors on them (Core/wind/depth/Victron/Mobile Router) so we can switch all power hungry devices off and just use Orca. The "sensor/orca" network is then bridged into the main N2k network via a CZone N2k bridge.

Plan is to put a "tiller pilot" onto the same "sensor" network - connected to our Hydrovane - giving us a full "backup" autopilot with very little power consumption powered by its own battery.

Orca Display 2? No - I (personally) would buy another rugged Android device with high brightness display - or wait for Display 3 if one ever turns up. But if you have not used Orca on an iPad before trying on Android - you probably won't notice the slow feeling.

Tip - if you buy the mount kit for Display 2 - ALWAYS buy the one with RAM mount (Top Mount). It costs the same as the "Surface Mount" - but the "Surface Mount" part is actually just the "mount frame" that is included with the RAM mount device. They charge the same for both options...
kaz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2024, 03:11   #17

Boat: Amigo 40, 31ft double ender
Re: Orca Core 2 Experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahr View Post
Bergius—-Can you please elaborate on your claim the Navionics charts feature “made-up data”?
I've let our Navionics subscription expire, so I can't provide screenshots (though I think I posted some to another thread, maybe last year?). But basically my problem with Navionics is: if they have two depth soundings, they generally extrapolate that between them the depth contours deepen linearly. And so they draw depth contours between those two points. However, in quite a lot of the rocky Baltic (for example), the depth changes are much more sudden.

And so you have depth contours that are totally fake. And you have no way of differentiating those from contours that are based on actual soundings. With Orca you'd not have that, and would approach the place more carefully, as you know data is missing.

Tags
core, enc