Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2020, 13:28   #1

Boat: challenger 32,
Pactor icom 718

I need help. I cant remember how to hook up my Icom 718 and Pactor IIIUSB...using windows 10. Has anyone used this combination. I have before but now at 85 years old I just dont remember how to do it de W7KFI Susan Meckley USSVDharma
ussvdharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 19:03   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Pactor icom 718

As a licensed ham, I use AirMail, but Sail Mail is another program that can be used. You would download the application ( or "app") from your computer. For weather, I use Grib files, which need to be downloaded for the area you plan to sail. You would install a Grib viewer (maybe OpenCPN?) To view the weather faxes. Sorry I can't be more specific because I've only downloaded the files and apps a couple times with the help of more experienced friends (and I'm only in my 50s) - it's not very easy IMO. Maybe some others can chime in here!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 19:05   #3

If your using sail mail the folks there will help you out.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 19:41   #4

Boat: Norseman 447

Sailmail is a system of shore stations operating on marine frequencies. The program that you use on your computer is Airmail. You can download all the software, fully configured, from <www.sailmail.com>. I think the downloaded install file also has the GRIB viewer and the propagation program. The help files in Airmail used to have the wiring diagrams for the IC-718 connections. Or you might be able to order pre-built cables from Farallon Electronics.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 19:45   #5

Boat: Norseman 447

Previous message cut off somehow. Www dot sailmail dot com. That install file includes Airmail program, all the configuration files, the GRIB viewer and the propagation program. I think the built-in help files show the wiring for the IC718. Or you can maybe buy pre-built cables from Farallon Electronics.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:35   #6
IOM

Seems no one can read very well. She has listed her hamcall.

Airmail works with sailmail and winlink networks . I dont use win10, but to the best of my knowledge Airmail works very well with win10.

Not sure what connections you needing, but a usb (or blu tooth) connection from the pc to the modem will control the radio and the modem as well as pull gps data from the modem.
The modem will need three connections.
One for the radio modulation (audio in and out)
One to do the frequency control of the radio, and
One to feed the nmea 0183 gps data into the modem.

The cables are well documented in the SCS manuals, if you know someone who can make them, or available from SCS if i recall. Always add ferite chokes to both ends of any cable you use , even the usb cable. They Will make life a lot more pleasant later on.
IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:38   #7

I thought AirMail is available to licensed hams (which she is) and Sail Mail is the paid program for mariners without licenses? Both use WinLink as the relay system.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:48   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I thought AirMail is available to licensed hams (which she is) and Sail Mail is the paid program for mariners without licenses? Both use WinLink as the relay system.
Sailmail is a paid provider. Sailmail runs its own shore stations and has its own decicated frequencies outside of Ham frequencies. The preferred client software for Sailmail is Airmail. Winlink is Ham only, is free, uses the Winlink shore stations,and uses RMS Express as the client software. On Sailmail there is no restriction on the content or ultimate destination of a message. Winlink, because it is Ham, restricts the messages to non commercial, and has restrictions on who can receive your message. Winlink messages that go to a non Ham, called third party traffic, has country restrictions, limited to countries having reciprocal third party agreements. Most of thd Americas are covered by third party agreements, but in Europe there are nearly none.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:00   #9
IOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post

Sailmail and Winlink are two separate "relay systems"

Airmail will access both systems, as long as it is set up with the correct passwords and user ID's.

For ham use, you need a valid callsign.
For mariners without a ham call, you can pay a fee and get access to the Sailmail network. Only Airmail will work on the sailmail network, but it has the option to support the Ham network as well.
It is , in my humble opinion, better suited to cruisers as it offers many marine based features that the Winlink software does not offer.
IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:27   #10

You are partly correct, Yes Airmail and ham band use requires a proper Ham radio license. Sailmail has a yearly fee AND you must have registered vessel radio license plus radiotelephone individual license

Ham radio does not allow business use. However if you are doing a business on your boat, or need parts to be ordered etc SAILMAIL allows business type messages.

Daiyl "how are you I love you honey" is OK on sailmail but not a twice daily message. Admins will advise you to reduce number of that type of message. I know from experience.

Both ham radio and sailmail will run from AIRMAIL....during my 20 years solo cruising in the pacific it was a God send for me....Kept me sane, however so people think I was crazy to under go such an adventure. I have some truly great memories of that cruise and learned an unbelievable amount of sailing knowledge doing so. de ussvdharma W7KFI es 7Q7M now at 85 years old, living ashore
Old 04-09-2020, 21:05   #11

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Hi Susan
I think I remember you and Dharma at Treasure Island many many years ago in clipper cove on a windy night. We were the harbor masters at Treasure Island

Andy
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:33   #12

Yes I remember that Dark and stormy night when the USCG towed me to your pier. My 46' Pan oceanic was dragging anchor and headed for the rocks. Later down at Monterey fuel docks I met the people that save me...they received a medal from USCG for going out in that 75mph storm I put a float on the anchor and cut the line...retrieved the anchor but not the 100w solar panel that tore loose and is on the bottom of clipper cove.

The world globe I left with you is the one my parents bought for me in 1938..so if you still have it it is truly an antique.

I solo cruised the south pacific for almost 20 years but at 80 figured it was time to move ashore. So now at 85 I live at the Armed Forces Retirement Home in Mississippi only 200 yd from the gulf...makes me homesick every time I look at the Gulf...I will be again going to Malawi Africa in Nov. One month 200 miles in the Afrrican bush helping with their electronics, then one month in the Comoros islands working ham radio....my last big hurrah ! Thank you again for you help that stormy night so long ago. de Susan Meckley W7KFI es 7Q7M ex-S/V Menage-A-Trois
Old 05-09-2020, 06:48   #13

Inspiring! I hope you'll keep us informed about your next adventures. How exciting to be able to do that.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:23   #14

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussvdharma View Post
Yes I remember that Dark and stormy night when the USCG towed me to your pier. My 46' Pan oceanic was dragging anchor and headed for the rocks. Later down at Monterey fuel docks I met the people that save me...they received a medal from USCG for going out in that 75mph storm I put a float on the anchor and cut the line...retrieved the anchor but not the 100w solar panel that tore loose and is on the bottom of clipper cove.

The world globe I left with you is the one my parents bought for me in 1938..so if you still have it it is truly an antique.

I solo cruised the south pacific for almost 20 years but at 80 figured it was time to move ashore. So now at 85 I live at the Armed Forces Retirement Home in Mississippi only 200 yd from the gulf...makes me homesick every time I look at the Gulf...I will be again going to Malawi Africa in Nov. One month 200 miles in the Afrrican bush helping with their electronics, then one month in the Comoros islands working ham radio....my last big hurrah ! Thank you again for you help that stormy night so long ago. de Susan Meckley W7KFI es 7Q7M ex-S/V Menage-A-Trois
Take care of yourself

Andy
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom, pactor