Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2020, 19:29   #1

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez
Plotter redundancy

Hi,

It has often been suggested that having a chart plotter was a single source of failure - I never really accepted this as we have on our boat backup in the form of cellphones, AIS with its own GPS, plus radios etc etc all which seem to have GPS built in. Sure we might loose radar if we lost the plotter, but basic nav has various backups.

Anyway.....we are lucky enough to have inherited a second plotter and I am trying to work out where to best mount it.

Center cockpit yacht, I could stack them vertically at the pedestal, but in the event of a roll, they would both likely be washed away, or non functional.

I could put the second one at the chart table, so its physically separated from the one in the cockpit, thus in a roll situation we probably wouldnt loose both, but its not likely to get as much use.

I kinda feel (at the pedestal) its a bit like having two monitors connected to your computer - you wonder how you lived with one.

Any other considerations?

Al
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 19:45   #2

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB
Re: Plotter redundancy

I set up Cbreeze with 2 chart plotters. One at the helm configuration set for heading up and one below at nav station configuration north up (ease of inputting way points ). The one below is connected to the autopilot via sea talk so I can easily nav to distant waypoints, the one at the helm is kind of "up close and personal" view of the world. Has worked well for years and provides a level of redundancy for these essential systems. Did something similar with two VHF radios.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 19:58   #3

Boat: Riva 48

I am a big fan of keeping one chart plotter (Raymarine) under the dodger (HR style) where it is protected, you can easily work it and it is visible by everyone in the cockpit. The second one I have in place of the steering compass (Garmin in my case). It is helpful to have a chart plotter at the steering station when you are approaching an unknown harbor at night or in fog and you need to zoom in out quickly.

The benefit of two different chart plotters, with two different charting systems is true redundancy. On the other hand, there is some benefit to having two identical chart plotters that you can swap easily if one fails (need additional chart cards too).

At some point I had a third chart plotter at the nav table but I used it so rarely that I removed/sold it. If you put yours at the wheel though, you may want to have the second one below to do planning, etc. when it is raining or the weather is not good. Usually though a laptop is a lot more useful in the cabin. It really is a very personal decision.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 20:08   #4

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Good points. They are both Raymarine in my case and can be networked via Raynet.

I can easily swap them in and out. Under the dodger, where you can sit dry in bad weather would be good, control via Autopilot but not get wet :-)
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 22:59   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

What kind of cruising do you do? Offshore passages, coastal,???
How do you do passage planning now?

If you do offshore passages, then I think mounting the plotter where it is easy to use for the watchstander is the place for it. On most monos this is tucked under the dodger.

If you use a PC now for passage planning and upload your course to the plotter, then I see little use to having a below deck plotter.
Old 22-01-2020, 00:44   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
I am a big fan of keeping one chart plotter (Raymarine) under the dodger (HR style) where it is protected, you can easily work it and it is visible by everyone in the cockpit. The second one I have in place of the steering compass (Garmin in my case). It is helpful to have a chart plotter at the steering station when you are approaching an unknown harbor at night or in fog and you need to zoom in out quickly.

The benefit of two different chart plotters, with two different charting systems is true redundancy. On the other hand, there is some benefit to having two identical chart plotters that you can swap easily if one fails (need additional chart cards too).
We have the same, Garmin at the wheel and RM under the sprayhood. Mounted in a navpod it provides some protection from light fingers rather than the normal metal mounting bracket. However, if it's poor weather, not an unknown occurrence in the UK, I like to put the auto pilot on and then sit under the dodger for protection. the second chart plotter then gives all the information I need whilst being close to hand. A hand held GPS in the chart table is there if it all goes pear shaped.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 06:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
Hi,

It has often been suggested that having a chart plotter was a single source of failure - I never really accepted this as we have on our boat backup in the form of cellphones, AIS with its own GPS, plus radios etc etc all which seem to have GPS built in. Sure we might loose radar if we lost the plotter, but basic nav has various backups.

Anyway.....we are lucky enough to have inherited a second plotter and I am trying to work out where to best mount it.

Center cockpit yacht, I could stack them vertically at the pedestal, but in the event of a roll, they would both likely be washed away, or non functional.

I could put the second one at the chart table, so its physically separated from the one in the cockpit, thus in a roll situation we probably wouldnt loose both, but its not likely to get as much use.

I kinda feel (at the pedestal) its a bit like having two monitors connected to your computer - you wonder how you lived with one.

Any other considerations?

Al
I have a plotter at the helm and a nav computer below. If I was given a free plotter, I might store it someplace as a spare after making sure it worked. I wouldn't mount two of them at the helm. YMMV
Coquina is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass