Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2017, 17:11   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Printers on Board

My HP Envy 5530 (inkjet printer/scanner/copier) has been on board for a couple of years and still works fine.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 23:42   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
We have used a Cannon Pixma IP 100 for years... keep it in an old flare case that fits perfectly. We find the Cannon cart's (at least for this printer) don'' seem to dry out as quickly as others (Epson, HP). There are newer ones that are wireless but using a USB cord works fine for us. This is the newer model: https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Mobi...+ip100+printer

+1
for some gear, throwing $$$ at the problem makes all the difference. Our ip100 has outlasted the 5 printers we had before it. I believe there is a newer model now, but the current one keeps going and we have a set of cartridges in there that is now 3 years old and prints still clear like when new.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 03:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
Ditto MarkJ ...

We had a printer on board for a while. Got used by friends more than us. Used it so infrequently, the ink kept drying up. Finally gave it away. Glad to have the space it used to occupy. Never had a marina refuse (or charge) to print a few pages, and internet cafes abound, at least in Mexico where we cruise.
X2 Eventually it was more pain than it was worth. When we need something printed to paper, we go find someone with a printer (sometimes you pay). Cheaper and easier in the long run.

FYI - the printer worked fine just the ink drying up.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 05:45   #19

Boat: Currently in between

Good thread as I've wondered about the value of an on-board printer. I long ago decided against the all in one as they seem, maybe I'm behind the tech times, to be larger than just a basic printer.

I did decide I needed a scanner much sooner than later and was just unhappy with how labor intensive the Canon all-in-one flat bed scanner was. I was downsizing, dumping, trashing, giving away everything but wanted to keep dig copies of papers and photos. I bought one of these at BestBuy a little cheaper by catching a sale.

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-DS-62...+ds620+scanner

If you don't need a flatbed, for example not scanning books, this thing is fantastic. Feeds quickly and smoothly, runs off a USB plug into your computer and automates a lot of the functions resulting in fast scans.

With the info I've gathered so far in this thread I may not replace the printer when it dies. When you have one on-board you never think about printing on shore. I will now!
Old 18-07-2017, 05:48   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35

We have had a Canon MG2900 colour inkjet printer/scanner for 18 months and it is still running fine.

I chose that make and model primarily due to the size. We have a shelf that is 9" deep and that is where the printer was going. The 2900 is narrower at the bottom to fit on the shelf, yet gets wider (deeper?) at the top to provide a full size flatbed scanner.

I print about 20 pages a month, mostly blank log book pages that I designed for my boat. I've replaced the cartridges a few times. They were much cheaper from Amazon, but are still available. And if I ever can't find them, I can have my kids bring a few when they come down to visit.

The scanner has seen more use than the printer actually, as we always seem to need to scan things (passports, cruising permit, ship's papers, etc.) for emailing.

I am not set on Canon, or the 2900 specifically. As I mentioned, we got it because it fit where it needed to go. But it has been good and reliable. If I had to get a new one for this boat I'd get the same. If it was for a different boat, I'd look for what fits best.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 06:20   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Good thread as I've wondered about the value of an on-board printer. I long ago decided against the all in one as they seem, maybe I'm behind the tech times, to be larger than just a basic printer.

I did decide I needed a scanner much sooner than later and was just unhappy with how labor intensive the Canon all-in-one flat bed scanner was. I was downsizing, dumping, trashing, giving away everything but wanted to keep dig copies of papers and photos. I bought one of these at BestBuy a little cheaper by catching a sale.

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-DS-62...+ds620+scanner

If you don't need a flatbed, for example not scanning books, this thing is fantastic. Feeds quickly and smoothly, runs off a USB plug into your computer and automates a lot of the functions resulting in fast scans.

With the info I've gathered so far in this thread I may not replace the printer when it dies. When you have one on-board you never think about printing on shore. I will now!
Our printer was used almost exclusively as a scanner for the last couple years we had it (dried out ink and not worth getting more).

More recently, if you just need a record (say receipt organization for tax purposes), we use the phone to snap a picture.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 13:24   #22

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
More recently, if you just need a record (say receipt organization for tax purposes), we use the phone to snap a picture.
Agreed, that works well and I have done some phone photo captures. Gosh darn phones are getting where they are an all-in-one tool!
Old 19-07-2017, 15:41   #23

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I have used a small brother laser printer for 3 years aboard, no problems at all, I use a PDF capture app on my iPad for "scanning" stuff, then print it out, the one I have is wifi so I don't even need to connect to it, I find it very useful........
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 03:32   #24

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I have a small HP Deskjet printer. It's about 10 years old and long out of production. Ink cartridges are still available. It supports USB, Ethernet, and Bluetooth. It runs off 117 V 60 Hz or internal batteries. About the size of a loaf of bread. I think HP has a similar model (generations newer) in production.

I use the printer for things like crew lists and ship stores lists for C&I. I can print color copies of ship's papers as well. Very handy to have on board.

My separate Visioneer Road Warrior scanner gets used a lot more. Small and flexible. Very happy with it.

Like others I also use the camera in my phone for small jobs.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 03:45   #25

Paper on board is not a good idea... it sucks up moister and mildew.

Any document you create can be saved to a PDF file viewable on a mobile device or conveyed by email.

Unless you need an actual physical paper document there is no need for a printer or paper.

Unfortunately I have to print, sign and seal legal documents... but I send them as email and in almost all cases the hard copy goes into the trash after I have scanned and emailed it. The person who RECEIVES them may print and file them with any agency, client or place them in a cabinet.

You can save your docs to a USB drive... stick it in your pocket and bring it to someone/place where the files can be copied or printed.

Paper is largely wasteful and most of mine is used by grand daughters for artwork
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 03:52   #26

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I have had printers on my boat for 15 years. I'm treasurer of our sailing club so use it for that, but primarily use it for my work. I spend most Friday's on the boat and my professional needs can be handled while onboard. I use HP InkJet and don't have problems with ink. I initially used a small battery powered portable printer, then went to a larger one that is in my vberth. Moved it there when they became scanners and printers. My current one is an HP 8710. The HP 8710 is pretty large, so I wouldn't recommend it if you are short on space. I do both printing and scanning and they typically last 2 to 3 years. The seem to last me as long as they do at home, so I don't think the boat has much to do with longevity. I'm in fresh water, but didn't see ant loss of life with my prior one when we were in Florida 4 months in 2013-14.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 09:26   #27

They are so cheap, just get anything that works!
robbinsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 01:55   #28

Boat: Ovni 395

i use my iPhone as a scanner - there are apps like "Scanner Pro" that detects the edges of paper, makes PDFs, etc.
works like a charm on iPhone 6.

As a printer - was thinking for some wireless thermal printer - as usually I don't need to print, but sometimes.....
xslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 02:20   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbinsfamily View Post
They are so cheap, just get anything that works!

Well, they're not cheap! Especially the cheap ones.
I was pricking some a few weeks ago and a $60 budget computer cost in ink is $30 and gives you 130 pages black on white.

130 pages!

Emailing the print shop/cyber cafe etc printed pages are about 5 for a $.

So printers on board are quite expensive, use precious space, have expensive ondulantes and dry up or corrode.

Not cheap at all.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 03:24   #30
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FWIW, we've had a HP 1310 all in one on board for nearly a decade now, and (touching wood quietly) it still works. Has outlasted several laptops. Do get cartridge dry-up now and then, but a short dip in boiling water fixes that in most cases. Have refilled them a few times... messy but much less expensive than new. Been through 2 1/2 reams of paper now, so it has done some work.

We use it as a copier a lot, and use the scanner to try and reduce document storage on board, sometimes print chartlets from OPCN, etc.. All in all, a very useful device for a long term cruiser who does not spend much time in marinas, etc. We power it from a mod sine wave inverter without issues. No corrosion issues at all...

Jim
Same experience as you Jim....would not be without one on board
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote