Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2014, 00:57   #1

Problems with 4kw analog radar

My radar in combination with a RL80C display is giving me some headache lately. I' ve been getting the terrible message " scanner not responding " .
So first of all I would like to perform a display resistance test the way Raymarine describes.
Meaning measuring the pins of the radar connector going into the display to see if the fault is not in the unit itself
Question is , should that be done with a display that is powered up , switched on that is ?

Thanks
bobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Problems with 4kw analog radar

Resistance tests (Ohmmeter) are ALWAYS performed with power OFF.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 23:10   #3

Re: Problems with 4kw analog radar

Yesterday , 5 years after my initial post I was able to solve the problem .
My radar was there in the mast doing nothing and the last few weeks I was playing* with the idea of taking it off permanently and bring it home . Take some useless weight from the boat .
As a last try I took it down yesterday and pulled the cable out of the mast . I dismantled the unit completely and found some oxidation on one of the prints , but more important , I noticed the pins , male and female , of the flat cable connector had serious oxidation also .
Some wires just broke off from the connector and that gave me some hope to revive the unit .
After soldering solid wires to the 8 pins inside the radar so I could get rid of the fragile flat raymarine connector I re-configured the connection between cable and unit with a different type of connector .
Once set up it was time to give it a try , guess what .
I now a full operational system again , so there was nothing wrong with the plotter nor the radar unit itself , just a case of bad electrical connections
5 years , good thing come to those who wait .

Regards
bobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar