Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2023, 03:30   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Neel 51, Trimaran
Protecting NMEA 2000 bus against lightning strikes

In the past 4 years, we have had 5 very close-by lightning strikes. Never a direct hit, but close enough (like 50 metres or so) to induce a lot of voltage on our electrical wiring, killing some devices every time.

When analysing the failure patterns, it became obvious that one big killer is the voltage induction on the NMEA 2000 bus. In many cases we've found that the devices went offline, but were still working fine as stand-alone device. (Like VHF radio, chart plotter, etc.). This seems to indicate that the voltage surge fried the NMEA 2000 chipset in the devices, but did not do any other harm.

Alas, whilst surge protectors for the +/- supply lines can be readily found on the internet, it is much harder to find a surge protector for the NMEA 2000 bus.

Luckily, if you know that the NMEA 2000 bus is on the physical level identical to the good old CAN bus used in automotive and, more recently, in Smart Home, your search space widens. And indeed, in smart home one can find surge protectors for the CAN bus!

So, I bought a couple and started installing them. They are rather cheap, but you do need to install one in every drop line of the bus, and it is a bit tedious as they do not come with NMEA 2000 cabling. Good news is, though, these CAN bus surge protectors are indeed compatible with the NMEA 2000 bus and all devices still work as before. That is a good start!

I will refrain, though, from making the ultimate real-life test, if I can help it...

Here is a link with more details on how I went about it: https://trimaran-san.de/en/protectin...tning-strikes/

Cheers, Mathias
MathiasW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 19:05   #2

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
Re: Protecting NMEA 2000 bus against lightning strikes

I have also found that the NMEA2000 interface is particularly sensitive to lightning, leaving our AP computer, chart plotter, depth sounder, engine monitor, etc deaf and mute on the network.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 19:27   #3

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

Would it not be possible to use LAN (RJ45) surge protection which is widely available?
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 21:58   #4

Boat: Ericson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcouz View Post
Would it not be possible to use LAN (RJ45) surge protection which is widely available?
N2K, by design, carries both data and power. That might cause some issues with your typical LAN surge suppression equipment (I suppose unless it was one designed for Power over Ethernet). Even on devices that are externally powered (Autopilots, chartplotters, AIS transponders, etc...) the 12v power on the N2K seems to be used to power the actual transceiver in the system, and the N2K bus goes down if there's no power on it.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 00:43   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcouz View Post
If you look at the electrical drawing for the CAN-UES2 surge protector, you'll find that it is a design dedicated to the CAN / NMEA 2000 bus. The two gas dischargers are between the two data lines and supply/ground, respectively, and the ferrite is between the two data lines.

I do not think a generic LAN surge protection would be as specific and thus I reckon would be less effective.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:44   #6

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I just lost all nmea 2000 devices on my boat as well.

The wind instrument and depth finder are the two that blow the most often. Probably because they are the path from mast top to water.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 06:26   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I just lost all nmea 2000 devices on my boat as well.

The wind instrument and depth finder are the two that blow the most often. Probably because they are the path from mast top to water.
Sorry to hear that!

It may be worth to check whether ALL are really dead, or whether there are one or more culprits which are not only dead, but are messing up the NMEA bus so that no other device can use the bus. Happens quite regularly to me. To find them, you need to disconnect all devices from the bus, except for, e.g., two displays such as Triton on B&G. When you go into network and search for devices, and you can see the other device, you know it works. Then slowly add devices one by one and keep checking whether the network still works - i.e., whether you can still see all the devices you expect to see.

Culprits will show up as devices that when added make all other devices invisible on the bus again. Leave those disconnected and see how far you get.

Tags
lightning, nmea 2000, Protection, surge protector