Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What has been your experience with pypilot?
I installed pypilot on my boat. It works, and I am happy that I did it. 2 100.00%
I installed pypilot on my boat and while I got it to work I am unhappy with the experience overall. 0 0%
I experimented with pypilot but never achieved a working installation aboard. 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2021, 07:08   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Pypilot successes and failures

I am thinking of experimenting with pypilot for my next boat and am trying to gauge the number of successful installations. If you have used, or tried to use, pypilot, please consider voting in the poll and add your comments to the thread on how your project worked out.
Old 13-10-2021, 07:24   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Pypilot successes and failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I am thinking of experimenting with pypilot for my next boat and am trying to gauge the number of successful installations. If you have used, or tried to use, pypilot, please consider voting in the poll and add your comments to the thread on how your project worked out.
Also you might want to contact Sean D'E directly if you do go ahead with the Pypilot. He's a member here on CF using his real name.

I know I will need something other than my Raymarine ST2000 or Simrad if I decide to sail over night in the ocean and expect to get any sleep at all.

Now the Raymarine gets lost from time to time.....

Emily G discusses the Pypilot on her site in the link below but she would really like a wind vane autopilot.

Dinghy Dreams – Road to the Sea

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 08:05   #3

Boat: O'Day 30 CB
Re: Pypilot successes and failures

A couple months ago I bought a TinyPilot & motor controller from Sean to replace my ancient TP5000. It was easy to connect and install everything.

My first time out, I was frustrated by trying to set the gains somewhat appropriately. I was not smart enough to print the cheat sheet, so mostly I blame me... When in doubt, read the instructions...

After a bit of reading and a bit of playing with settings, I'm very happy with it. One of the reasons I went with the pypilot is so that I CAN play with the settings in different conditions, a bit of learning was expected.

It's easier to play with the settings from a Windows device (maybe Mac, too?) than an Android. All the settings are there, but it's easier for me to use a keyboard and actually input numbers than to use sliders on a small touch screen, especially on a boat.

I STILL need to print the cheat sheet for gains, at the link:
https://pypilot.org/wiki/doku.php?id=tuning_gains
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote