Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2020, 17:42   #1

Boat: Lancer 27PS
QRM in your SSB

QRM, or better known as interference, in your SSB which prevents you from really hearing weak signals. Some of the QRM is generated by electrical items such as motors, solar controllers, refers, and other items. This interference is usually recognized as a popping or clicking sound. So, how do we fix this interference? Well, you have at a minimum two options; find and eliminate the source of the noise, or, combat the noise by adding the same noise but out of phase.

This is known as X-Phase or cross phase. The theory is that taking two occurrences of the same noise, reverse the phase of one of them, and then add the amplitude of the two will cancel the noise. There are devices that will do this for you called X-Phase QRM Eliminator. These can be purchased here in the US from MFJ Enterprises, or purchased from eBay.

Now, I have not personally tried this devise but I will order one soon. I have installed solar panels on my house and now the low bands on my radio are all but useless. The controller noise and panel circular connections basically make an antenna spewing RFI galore.

Here is a link to a review of a X-Phase QRM Eliminator. The review also contains a video demostrating how effective it is.

Like I said, I do not have one but the information in the review and additional links are very helpful. So much so that I need one at my home to kill the really bad interference I am experiencing.

As usual, all this is JMHO.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 09:38   #2

Boat: Lancer 27PS
Re: QRM in your SSB

So briefly let me explain how this works. The QRM Eliminator goes between the radio and the tuner. The box is limited to 100 watts, but I am sure 150 watts SSB will not harm it. However, power for data connections should be reduced.

OK, with the box connected between the radio and the tuner, you will see one more jack called AUX, or NOISE. This jack is connected to an antenna in the boat. The manual says 2 to 5 meter (6 to 16 ft) length of wire. I am sure that in the boat it can be shorter. Experiment with length. Now, this is not a transmit antenna. It is only used to pick up the QRM, or interference.

There are three controls on the front. Two each for the main antenna and noise antenna, and a phase adjustment. The two antenna adjustments are for the gain. What we want is the unity the gain of both antennas. Once that is done, then the phase can be adjusted to null out the interference.

When we transmit, there are relays that will sense the RF and take the QRM Eliminator out of the signal path. Go back to receive and the QRM Eliminator kicks back in.

Again, I do not have one. I am just describing the theory of how it works. I ordered one from Ukraine for $76 and it will take about a month to get here. I am patient. Once I get it, I will try it out and then move it to the boat for testing.

And as always, JMHO
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 05:35   #3

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat
Re: QRM in your SSB

The Q-code QRM is being misused in this discussion.

QRM refers to interference with a transmitted signal by other transmitted signals on the same frequency. It does not refer to problems with reception due to local noise sources creating a local noise floor that is higher than the signal trying to be received.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssb