Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2014, 20:01   #1

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39
Question for WSO100 owners

Ahoy,
I just purchased a Maretron WSO100 sensor to be eventually installed on the masthead of my, new to me, Pacific Seacraft 37. On my PS Dana, I have a B&G 508 sensor that had a built in N2K terminal resistor and, as such, was the terminal end of the backbone of the N2K network onboard.
I can't find any reference to a terminal resistor in the Maretron specs. Does anyone know if the WSO100 has a resistor and can be used without adding one at the N2K backbone cable connection to the sensor?
It would make the fabrication of the mount easier as I want to make a mount that is similar in shape to the common forward and angled up type that is common to wind sensors.
Having to include a 2+ inch resistor in the connection right at the sensor will necessitate an unnatural vertical element to the mount. And will complicate the installation/connection issue, particularly trying to keep the cable on the inside of the imagined mount.
Any help or leads to a suitable mount appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 23:47   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Question for WSO100 owners

I had similar questions when I set up mine last year. But the answer is yes, you need two terminators in any backbone. One at the WSO100 and the other at the display.
I started this thread in preparation of the installation. Read to the end where it is installed and working great.>>> http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-105462.html

I ended up having to climb the mast and install the terminator at the WSO100. I sailed from Seattle to SF shortly after in some pretty nasty weather and it was one of the most prized instruments.
Old 24-04-2014, 12:48   #3

Thanks, Delmarry.
I am a bit surprised that Maretron doesn't make a version specifically designed with an internal terminal resistor, aimed at the sailboat market. It wouldn't be hard for them to do, and it is a logical configuration to produce. Particularly considering that Maretron is the industry leader in all things NMEA2000.
Old 25-04-2014, 00:13   #4

I think there is a special terminal designed to go at the bottom of the mast and more or less alow a longer drop up the mast? but I haven't used it. thought it may have been a lighting thing.

I also just noticed the maretron inline terminator which would also work at the top. which is a lot nicer then having to put a T and drop cable at the top.

I would just run a 0.5m,1m,2m whatever cable from the wso and put the inline terminator, then the backbone down the mast. as long as you're under 6m between wso and inline terminator it would just be like a drop. then you can bend out the bottom
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 00:16   #5

Maretron is what I used, but one can order them at a lesser price online through other venders. I used iMarine.
Old 25-04-2014, 08:32   #6

Yes, I ordered the inline terminator and I will install it at the WSO100 connection. I was concerned about the combined length of the backbone connector and the inline terminator being approximately 4-5 inches and how that would restrict the design of a mount.

I wanted to make an aluminum tube mount that goes from 1 inch at the sensor, to a smaller diameter, perhaps 3/4 inch, for the remaining length (similar to the common ones used with most spinning cup style sensors). The length of the needed hardware connected to the WSO100 means I will have to make a mount that has a 5 or 6 inch vertical tube of 1 inch diameter at the forward end, not only for the 1x14 threaded end, but for the terminator and connector to fit inside.

I think it will be ok, just not as compact, or elegant, as I intended.
Old 25-04-2014, 09:26   #7

When I installed mine I use the standard 4" riser. I think it cost about $25. There was plenty of room to fit it in. When I ran the coax I put a loop in just incase I needed to pull the sensor, which I did obviously.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0958.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	79832