Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 12:37   #16

Re: Question Regarding Standard Horizon VHF Matrix AIS GX2100

This Mux may work. It is designed for the C and E series Plotters.

Check it out and ask the questions. Located in the USA.

110 -ShipModul - MiniPlex-AIS NMEA 0183 - 110 -ShipModul - MiniPlex-AIS - Electronics - NavStore - Your Pro Marine Source - Detail

They many more type of MUX's but the above one; I think, is the correct one for the application.
Enigma460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 17:14   #17

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma460 View Post
This Mux may work. It is designed for the C and E series Plotters.

Check it out and ask the questions. Located in the USA.

110 -ShipModul - MiniPlex-AIS NMEA 0183 - 110 -ShipModul - MiniPlex-AIS - Electronics - NavStore - Your Pro Marine Source - Detail

They many more type of MUX's but the above one; I think, is the correct one for the application.
Looks good. I would call their tech dept to ensure it is appropriate...also I would suspect the 2100 would still need a pull up resistor to work due to its lower than standard power.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 20:16   #18

You definitely will have to talk to them and explain your setup.

Just as a side note, If you just bought the 2100 you may be able to return it and get the new 2150. It has some new features to help with chartplotter interfacing. You can change the baud rates in the receiver now.

Anyway that's all I got to say on the topic.

Good luck
Enigma460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 21:10   #19

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

differences.. looks like a lot easier to hook up if you have select plotters. moot on my hds8, but makes it easier on the hds7, etc... and a few more features (mostly on the display screen.. if hooked up to a plotter..are not a big deal..but nice minor upgrades just the same.)

http://www.standardhorizon.com/downl...pplication/pdf

I pulled half my hair out getting my 2100 to work in my system.. learned a lot doing it.. works great now that everything is integrated!

The ais functionality is 1000% better on the plotter than the 2100 screen.. but it gives you the gist of what is out there..
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 19:32   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
Good info Mike...Looking at the display in the ads it appears it would be very impractical to use that little screen for the AIS and you confirmed it.
That little screen is Big compared to the 3/4" x 1.5" screen on the Ram3 Mic. Not only do they put the AIS range screen on it, it also shows channel, GPS indicator,SOG, COG, Lat n long, and time.

I think I need glasses........

Very nice when connected to a GPS.

ShaunJ
ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:23   #21

Boat: Beneteau 473
Send a message via Skype™ to fourgeau

I have the Standard Horizon GX2100 and LOVE the AIS capability. Small screen or not, identifying the other vessels is very easy. I recently covered 800 miles offshore on another boat which had integrated the AIS signal of the GX2100 into their navigation software. it was perfect and the targets were indentified and shown at greater distance than on the radio screen.
I would like to integrate the AIS signal to my Seaclear programm on my laptop. Has anyone done it?
Is it posssible to go directly from the radio gray and brown wires to a USB port?
If you know make it simple I am a complete moorin when it comes to ports, baud etc....
fourgeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:01   #22

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourgeau View Post
... I would like to integrate the AIS signal to my Seaclear program on my laptop. Has anyone done it?
Is it possible to go directly from the radio gray and brown wires to a USB port?
Hi Fourgeau, & welcome to Cruisers Forum!

You would find it valuable (for yourself) if you learned a bit about connecting NMEA devices together. It's not rocket science.

In short, the output from your GX2100 is using NMEA-0182 (or -0183). This is not compatible with USB but is compatible with some USB-to-Serial converters. This is a small dongle with a 9-pin serial port on one end & a USB plug on the other, & it should come with some driver software for your laptop. You can then run the output from your GX2100 into a 9-pin serial plug, which will then plug into the USB/Serial converter plugged into your USB port.

There are some gotchas along the way. NMEA-0182 uses 0-5v signaling. RS232 Serial uses +/- 9v signaling. But a good quality Serial to USB converter will work for NMEA. I use a KeySpan & have had no problems for 4 years, but poor quality serial/USB converters on other boats have caused me many headaches.

The output from older GX2100s was weak & needed some help (pull-up resistors). I'll let someone more knowledgeable about the GX2100 help you further if you still want to tackle this yourself.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:30   #23

Jon
Thank you. That was clear and I got it. Last question you mention a 9 pin connector. do I connect the Brown AIS output cable to any of the pins ?
Do I need to also connect the GRAY cable labelled NMEA output +
Old 12-10-2011, 18:29   #24

Yes, both wires have to be connected to the serial plug. I'm not familiar with the color codes used on your GX2100, but if the GRAY cable is labeled as NMEA+, then it needs to be connected to pin 2. This is the "receive" pin, for the computer to receive information from the outside device (your GX2100). The other wire gets connected to pin 5, the ground pin of the serial plug. Pin 3 is the "transmit" pin, for the computer to talk to the GX2100 (or other NMEA devices) but it sounds like the GX2100 isn't setup to be talked to, so that pin can be left unconnected. None of the other pins need to be connected.

When you install the driver software for the serial to USB adapter, you will need to set the BAUD rate. Most NMEA devices (like GPS) run at 4800 (bits/second) but AIS typically runs at 38,400. Check your GX2100 manual for the correct speed.

References:
1) How Stuff Works
2) Wikipedia - a bit technical but includes links to GPS & AIS info

Hope this helps!
Old 14-10-2011, 06:27   #25

Jon
Thank you very much for your help and your advise in reference material to educate myself. I have my homework cut out for me. I am going to connect serial to serial since I use an older model of laptop which has a serial port.
On another subject I see that you are in my old sailing grounds. I lived in Hongkong and Indonesia for many years in the 70th and did extensive sailing of the area. Jakarta to Singapore was very iffy in those days because of piracy. I wonder if things have changed. These are unique sailing grounds and I am planning to cover them again next year.
Fair sailing
Denis
Old 14-10-2011, 11:17   #26

Hi Denis - Good luck! It's not so difficult once you jump in.

The Malaysian Navy has cleaned up its side of the Malacca Straits, but the Sumatra side still has piracy. Since Indonesia now wants a CAIT cruising permit, it's a royal pain to go there, & very few boats do.

We sailed up from Darwin in 2006, over to South Africa in 2007, & back to Malaysia/Thailand in 2009. Borneo in 2010, India (Chennai/Madras) in 2011. All good fun.
Old 14-10-2011, 12:57   #27

Boat: Cabo Rico

Well the boat show special got me and I finally got the GX2150. I can't wait to hook it up and integrate with my laptop software program (Coastal Explorer).
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 10:46   #28

Boat: Bavaria 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
The output from older GX2100s was weak & needed some help (pull-up resistors). I'll let someone more knowledgeable about the GX2100 help you further if you still want to tackle this yourself.

I'm about to attempt to connect a GX2100 to my Standard Horizon chartplotter and a serial-USB converted. I'd be interested in more details of any pull-ups that may be required.
Old 26-10-2011, 16:28   #29

Boat: Sea Hunt Victory 225 WA

I have the SH GX-2150 and use the RS-422 configuration to achieve a dual direction 38400 baud channel between the radio and the HDS-10 chartplotter. Once I set the data speed on the GX-2150 to 38400, BBZZAPP it worked right away in both directions....GPS to the radio - DSC and AIS to the Chartplotter.

You do need to read the SH manuals to establish your "processing range" for AIS. Since I view it on a 10+ inch display, I accept the full range available from the SH radio.

I agree the teeny display is virtually useless, especially where my radio is mounted.

SH makes great radios but I wish they'd get on the NMEA2000 bandwagon. NMEA 0183 is cheap for the manufacturer but the integration cost would more than pay for NMEA2000 capability on the radio. SH ought to do a business plan sanity check. They could get the sales on making the integration far easier.
capecuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 12:54   #30

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecuddy View Post
I have the SH GX-2150 and use the RS-422 configuration to achieve a dual direction 38400 baud channel (...)
Yes. Can be done on GX-2150 but not on GX-2100. Two rates, two ports ;-).

Perhaps we can e-mail SH and ask for software update? Unless it is a hardware issue ;-(

Wondering if our unit will need pull-up. Perhaps since we will go the adapter way, the adapter will pull up the signal? (I think so as it works flawlessly wit GPS signal, which is supposed to be the same Voltage).

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais