Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2021, 14:45   #31

Boat: Cabo Rico 45 build #005
Send a message via Skype™ to stevec195
Re: Questions re: B&G Zeus integration w/ Ipad app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden View Post
Good news. Today I managed to hook up my iPhone 10 and iPad Air 4th Gen to my B&G Zeus3S 12” chartplotter and Remote Control it.

It took a lot of mucking around. In the end it seems there were a couple of key steps:

- install the most recent update of the Link app from the App Store.

- install and use the B&G app from the App Store to create an account with B&G and then register the chartplotter. This app can be hard to find on the App Store. I went to the B&G website and used a QR code to access the app.

Hint - once the chartplotter is registered close the B&G app and use the new Link app for connecting Apple devices. First, connect these to the chartplotter’s WIFI hotspot. Then reboot the Link app and initiate Remote Control.

At first I was only able to view the Chart screen, not control it. A message appeared saying that for safety reasons Remote Control was not enabled. However after reconnecting a few times this message no longer appeared and I had full control. Go figure.

Anyway, it now works. :-)

Meesage me if near Fairhope, AL-I owe you a beer or two. I’ve been fighting this with tech support for 6 months and had about given up.
stevec195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 20:25   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec195 View Post
Meesage me if near Fairhope, AL-I owe you a beer or two. I’ve been fighting this with tech support for 6 months and had about given up.
I’ll be sure to do that Steve. That beer will have until 2023 to chill, but that’s ok.

I’m emailing with B&G’s technical support team and advice is that the functionality we want from Link is being moved across to an improved version of the B&G app, which will provide more. As such, I will be keeping an eye on updates of the latter app. For the moment though, I am very happy to have Link working and working well. Right now I’m warm in bed watching TWA and TWS on my iPhone as strong gusts blast through Cherbourg harbour.
Alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 14:57   #33

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Today I had the chance to use my new iPad Air with Link and the chartplotter. Works great! The only feature not accessible is the autopilot, but that sense.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 21:31   #34

Boat: Hylas 46

Hello Members....I also have the Zeus3S 12" but have not fired it up yet as I'm still installing the total package. Couple of questions if I may...

1. I do not have an Ipad.....can I use my laptop instead (to control the Zeus)?
2. Why is it....you can not control the autopilot with the ipad?

Thanks in advance!
Don
Old 11-03-2021, 02:08   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
Today I had the chance to use my new iPad Air with Link and the chartplotter. Works great! The only feature not accessible is the autopilot, but that sense.
I just did some tests with my iPad Air 4th Gen, using Link. I can Remote control the chart but not the autopilot, no matter how well I sneak up on it.
So, Dr D's results confirmed.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:16   #36

Hello Don and Gloria.

Re no access to autopilot remote control, I suspect it's not just an iPad thing. It'll be to avoid baddies taking control of your yacht over the Internet or wirelessly. And to avoid you accidentally turning it off with your nose when you roll over in your sleep.

'Excuse me darling, but how did we end up in Svalbard instead of Spain?'

Seems fair.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:19   #37
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The only useful feature of remote control is for entering routes and waypoints. Of you can’t reach the plotter then B&G sells a wired (nmea2000) remote for it.

For the iPad I recommend iSailor plus a nmea2000<>wifi gateway like sold by YachtDevices. You get a real chart plotter optimized for iPad instead of screen sharing and second source of charts (Transas) plus it will allow full autopilot control... even support Apple Watch.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:43   #38

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

The AP remote on the tablet is intentionally disabled. I believe it is for safety and security. Disabling it prevents someone from accidentally, naively, or intentionally changing course.

Imagine a kid picking up the iPad and playing with the Link app. He sees a button and wonders what does this do, immediately initiating a tack which tosses Mom over board.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:59   #39
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
The AP remote on the tablet is intentionally disabled. I believe it is for safety and security. Disabling it prevents someone from accidentally, naively, or intentionally changing course.

Imagine a kid picking up the iPad and playing with the Link app. He sees a button and wonders what does this do, immediately initiating a tack which tosses Mom over board.
Which is why sailing is not for everybody

Edit: I mean, kids can’t push the AP buttons on the unit itself? Can’t get their fingers mauled in a winch?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 16:30   #40

Quote:
Hello Don and Gloria.

Re no access to autopilot remote control, I suspect it's not just an iPad thing. It'll be to avoid baddies taking control of your yacht over the Internet or wirelessly. And to avoid you accidentally turning it off with your nose when you roll over in your sleep.

'Excuse me darling, but how did we end up in Svalbard instead of Spain?'

Seems fair.
Alden, Roger on that! Thanks! Having said that....I have a great state of art powerfull laptop. Can I use the laptop to view the Zeus? Thanks Don
Old 11-03-2021, 16:35   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Which is why sailing is not for everybody

Edit: I mean, kids can’t push the AP buttons on the unit itself? Can’t get their fingers mauled in a winch?
Yeah they could. And if I was sailing a few hundred feet from you I might be able to a hack into your Zeus and change the AP settings.

The lawyers said, to prevent getting sued over this feature disable it. Navico does sell a remote control for the AP if you want to sit on the bow and dodge coral heads.

Fewer lawsuits, more equipment sales, easy corporate decisions.
Old 13-03-2021, 00:52   #42

Hi Don. I in a laptop-less condition at the moment. We thought we'd start in our new Garcia without one. We needed to keep our luggage weight within the limit so my 17" MacPro from 2009 (and still going strong) was left in Oz. So, can't confirm or deny. Is there a Link or B&G app available for your laptop species? There could be a clue in that.
Old 13-03-2021, 14:14   #43

Quote:
Hi Don. I in a laptop-less condition at the moment. We thought we'd start in our new Garcia without one. We needed to keep our luggage weight within the limit so my 17" MacPro from 2009 (and still going strong) was left in Oz. So, can't confirm or deny. Is there a Link or B&G app available for your laptop species? There could be a clue in that.
I just checked B&G site for the app info. They indicate the app is for Smartphones, Ipad's and computers. I then navigated to Apple store & Google store...both will not acknowledge my laptop for download??

Both sites (stores) only download to smartphones and Ipads.

Anyone have any info regarding getting the B&G app to a computer i.e. laptop?

Thanks
Don
Old 20-06-2021, 19:13   #44

The connection from our Zeus3 to the iPad is pretty bad. When it works it is slow and doesn’t display full screen. It is very small and useless. This along with the overheating issues we have with the unit is very disappointing.
bamiller619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 05:28   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamiller619 View Post
The connection from our Zeus3 to the iPad is pretty bad. When it works it is slow and doesn’t display full screen. It is very small and useless. This along with the overheating issues we have with the unit is very disappointing.
Make sure you have the most recent softwarem for the app and the Zeus. There was a period of time last year this problem was prevalent. Updated software resolved it.

Tags
Ipad