Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2020, 20:30   #1

Questions re: B&G Zeus integration w/ Ipad app

B&G Zeus3 has builtin wifi and can talk to an Ipad B&G app which can mirror the MFD display. My question is how well does it actually work? Also does it just "mirror" what's currently on the MFD display or can it act as a second station? For instance if you're displaying the chart on the MFD, can you display the radar on the Ipad app? TIA

-Jim
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 20:49   #2
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45
Re: Questions re: B&G Zeus integration w/ Ipad app

Not exactly the question you ask but there may be similarities. I have the Raymarine equivalent of Zeus, Axiom chart plotter. It has built in wifi and screen sharing capabilities.

On the iPad app, you can control everything, change views, look at radar, overlay, zoom in/out etc. Basically you get the complete touch functionality. We use the iPad as a second display down below.

On the iPhone app, you can only see what is visible on the display at that time but you cannot control it. So it is 'readonly' if you will. I think they have done this due to size restrictions of the phone.
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 23:11   #3

Boat: Farr 43`

B&G works the same way iPhone read only iPad mirror and control.

I think it is a security provision as my integrated SIM tablet is read only.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 23:46   #4
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
I think it is a security provision as my integrated SIM tablet is read only.
My iPad has a SIM and it works to control the chart plotter as well.
Old 02-05-2020, 23:59   #5

Boat: Farr 43`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post
My iPad has a SIM and it works to control the chart plotter as well.
Great excuse to buy a new iPad - thanks
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:27   #6

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 39

I’m using a b&g vulcan 9 plotter at the nav station and an ipad pro at the helm using the Link app to mirror the plotter. It does give you control of plotter functions but there is a delay which is annoying and sometimes problematic. The resolution is not great so seeing detail on the charts is reduced. Occasionally the connection breaks which can lead to distraction at a critical moment. I run Navionics in the background as a backup so that I can quickly get a chart on screen. Not the best solution, but it works ok for me as a coastal sailor. For more serious sailing I would buy another plotter for the helm or cockpit.
Mr O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:10   #7

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

The iPad app functions as a fully featured chart plotter, except, the autopilot controls are disabled.

Here's short video with a side by side comparison. This is a 9" Zues2 and an older iPad. They are linked through my home network.

https://youtu.be/2OCZi9uLFUE
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:51   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

I have the Zeus3 and the iPad functions as Dave shows.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:46   #9

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

I have a Zeus 3 for my inside helm station and Zeus 2 for my cockpit helm station and can use the "Link" app for remote viewing and control on my iPad and iPhone.

As Dave says above, there are a few things that the "Remote Control" function of the app won't allow, such as Auto-Pilot. I use Czone for digital control of boat electrical functions and that won't work either. The message at the top of these sections says "Remote control of this screen is not available for safety reasons."

I tested to see what does work and I could work all functions on the chart view remotely, such as set a waypoint, turn radar on/off, measure distance, switch screen views, etc. I can access all the menus and apps, and was able to turn an alarm on and off.

As cool as it is, I don't use this app on my iphone or ipad because it loses the connection when I go into my aft stateroom (so can't use it while in bed) or in the cockpit.

So when I'm in bed I leave the stateroom door open and I can see the Zeus 3 from bed (and read the text with a opera glasses) and use an anchor watch app on my iphone by my bed to supplement the anchor alarm on the Zeus.

If anyone has tips for strengthening or extending the wifi signal from the Zeus I love to know.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 22:30   #10

Boat: Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp1234 View Post
B&G Zeus3 has builtin wifi and can talk to an Ipad B&G app which can mirror the MFD display. My question is how well does it actually work? Also does it just "mirror" what's currently on the MFD display or can it act as a second station? For instance if you're displaying the chart on the MFD, can you display the radar on the Ipad app? TIA

-Jim
We have a Zeus 3 and use it with an iPad. The iPad is a dumb terminal for the Zeus. That is, you can control the Zeus from the iPad, including radar etc. The only thing you can not do from the iPad is control the autopilot.

By the way, the WiFi is not built in. You need another bit of hardware to get the WiFi.
John Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:57   #11

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
If anyone has tips for strengthening or extending the wifi signal from the Zeus I love to know.
Add an external wifi router. Some of them run on 12 volts. Connect the Zuessto the router and connect the iPad through the router to the Zeus.

In the video I posted, the Zeus2 is hardwired to a wifi router and the iPad is connected to the wifi network. On the boat, I have a Simrad wifi router to which the Zues is hardwired.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:38   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post

By the way, the WiFi is not built in. You need another bit of hardware to get the WiFi.

The Zeus3 does have WiFi built in. Check chapter 17 in the owner's manual. It has two settings: One lets the unit connect to smartphones and tablets, the other lets the unit connect to a hotspot, an access point. So you can't route from your smartphone to the Zeus3 to the Internet, but the Zeus3 can connect to the Internet via a router.

Update: I checked the B&G site. The latest version of the software for the Zeus3 includes the following:
"Dual Mode WiFi
It is now possible for compatible MFDs with built-in WiFi to simultaneously connect to the Internet and your mobile device. This allows Navico’s Link app to be used while the MFD is connected to the Internet."
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 20:13   #13

Thanks guys for the comments. Interesting about the SW upgrade changing the MFD to be both a wifi client as well as a WAP. The only benefit I can see though is that it will allow direct access to software updates. The one problem I see with this setup is that I'll have to chose one wifi SSID to connect the B&G app and another SSID to connect the Vesper Marine XB-8000 app which also has it's own built-in WIFI. Unless there's a "blackbox" wifi device that will allow me to connect to both? TIA

-Jim
Old 04-05-2020, 20:29   #14
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Have the Zeus connect to Vesper and you connect to Vesper from your tablet?
Old 05-05-2020, 10:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post
Have the Zeus connect to Vesper and you connect to Vesper from your tablet?

Yes you are correct, and I guess I didn't state it correctly. I would have the Vesper communicate with the Zeus MFD by connecting it to my NMEA 2000 backbone which would (I believe) allow the Zeus to display AIS targets on the chartplotter screen. I was thinking about the Vesper Marine ipad app (Watchmate) and the Zeus app (Link) and in order to go between those two apps you'll need to change your wifi connection to establish communication with each device. I think that's the case anyway.

Tags
Ipad