Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 15:36   #16

Re: Radar recommendations for small sailboat

Ok,I got to ask. I know this is probably a very dumb question from a guy that really doesn't know much about Marine navigation. I was doing some research about radar and I stumble across someone mentioning card now I know what AIS is and I know what radar is but I don't know what card is can someone please enlighten me on where to research this? thanks I almost hated to ask because it sounds like such a dumb question
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 16:29   #17

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Look at post #11.

It is essentially a receiver of radar signals, so alerts when radar is painting you. It also gives a rough indication of direction IIRC. Of course it can't work at the same time you are using radar on your boat as it would be continuously alerting.

If you have the power and money (not much these days) go for both radar and AIS. CARD is better on both power and cost but it only "sees" objects with radar transmissions, and can't indicate distance or precise direction to target. A limited solution at a limited price...

BTW Furuno is announcing their version of solid state radar, which looks to be the instant technology leader. Furuno has the only recreational systems that actually have true ARPA capability; other systems have much more limited capability. ARPA tracks radar targets, calculates their movements and predicts potential collisions automatically (closest approach distance and time). It does require a new chartplotter as well so it will mostly appeal to outfitting of new boats.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 18:34   #18

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

As others said, you won't pick up debris on radar. Ships often lose logs carried as deck cargo. They're only a few inches above the surface. That's what I see the most of. Most of the tsunami debris is dispersed now.
Radar saves time, but is not a good substitute for a proper deck watch. Some radars have a hard time picking out a wood hull in choppy seas. I only use mine in low visibility or when I want a range. Otherwise it's in standby or off. You can see a ship along way off.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 19:07   #19

Boat: Riva 48

I believe radar is essential for a boat, especially if you do night sailing. The Navico radar you ordered is great. The key for radar is integration with the rest of the system. This includes the autopilot (for the heading sensor) and the chartplotter. With Navico, you will need to get a heading sensor (for MARPA, the cheapest good option is the Raymarine gyrocompass for $199 from Amazon) and then a Lowrance or Simrad chartplotter. Once you have all connected and set you will love it.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar, sailboat